An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easy Nun Costume

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1351615899' post='2500356']
I'm debating whether I want to wear a nun costume tomorrow.... It sounds fun, but the only veil I can make (out of a sweater type thing) is grey and I don't think that fits any habit in existence. On the other hand, nobody here would know the difference anyway. What do you guys think?

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FPlq2ghTufw/UJAFCA-otNI/AAAAAAAAADE/bZ_4RmBTJ54/s1600/nun+costume+back.jpg[/img][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6XKfvVcSDo0/UJAFE9DUGYI/AAAAAAAAADM/KZ6ZFp8nDDA/s1600/nun+costume+front.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

You look great in a habit Christina Therese! Do you have a black pillowcase or a black sheet/curtain if you are still wanting the black veil? You could also go to a fabric store and get a decent sized square of (cheap black fabric and fold it over for a veil. Or you could always be a novice with a white veil! :P

Love everyone's costumes on here!

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1351617179' post='2500369']
You look great in a habit Christina Therese! Do you have a black pillowcase or a black sheet/curtain if you are still wanting the black veil? You could also go to a fabric store and get a decent sized square of (cheap black fabric and fold it over for a veil. Or you could always be a novice with a white veil! :P

Love everyone's costumes on here!
[/quote]
Thanks! And no... the only black things I own are concert dresses. And a handkerchief, which is definitely too small. I wanted either white or black, but I couldn't find either as I asked other people on the floor, so I'll just go with this. And wear it all day, like I saw people doing last year, because it sounds way too fun to not.

If anyone is still looking for ideas....

My parish does a medieval dinner each year in honor of St. Dominic (3 guesses what flavor parish....).... And we are all encouraged to come in costume... and I've done it a number of times. It's fun! I've also seen a LOT of good improvised costumes!

Easiest possible medieval headgear -- which works for ANY medieval saint, laywoman or religious --

Take two white dish cloths or pillow cases.

Put one around your forehead and safety pin in the back. Let extra fabric hang down your back. (You can skip this first step if you are being a medieval LADY who is not a nun....)

Take the second one, put it under your chin and pass it up, over your ears, and safety pin to the TOP of the first one. It should sit just right at the back of your head.... Put a black (or other color) veil over the whole thing, and you are set!!!!

Now, here's where the fun comes:

Benedictines would wear black and black veil.... that should get you covered for Scholastica, Gertrude, Hildegard, etc.....

And, of course, wear it with White for a Dominican.... or with white and a black scapular for a Cistercian....

Brown for the Franciscns & Carmelites -- scapular UNDer for an O.Carm, OVER for a Discalced...

No scapular but a franciscan cord (rope belt) for Franciscans.

And.. if you don't want to be a nun.... A LADY or QUEEN (think St. Hedwig or St. Elizabeth of Hungary) would wear the same kind of headgear but in colors.... As Emma noticed, sweaters with the sleeves inside and worn UPSIDE DOWN work BEAUTIFULLY as veils on that headgear, btw... but remember, WOVEN or KNITTED...

St. Elizabeth would traditionally wear the colors and textures you'd associate with a Queen... but with a Franciscan Cord (she was a tertiary), a crown, and a plate or bowl of roses and bread (stories about her having gotten into trouble for giving away too much bread for the poor... except that when they tried to catch her at it, all she had was a basket of roses....

St. Zita would be in the same clothes but of a poorer type -- and agin, with a basket of flowers and bread (same story) -- and maybe a broom.... she is the patronness of domestic work!

AND... of course... you can just wrap up in bandages and go as St. Lazarus!!!!

That should set you up just fine!

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1351615899' post='2500356']
I'm debating whether I want to wear a nun costume tomorrow.... It sounds fun, but the only veil I can make (out of a sweater type thing) is grey and I don't think that fits any habit in existence. On the other hand, nobody here would know the difference anyway. What do you guys think?

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FPlq2ghTufw/UJAFCA-otNI/AAAAAAAAADE/bZ_4RmBTJ54/s1600/nun+costume+back.jpg[/img][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6XKfvVcSDo0/UJAFE9DUGYI/AAAAAAAAADM/KZ6ZFp8nDDA/s1600/nun+costume+front.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
That looks so good! I don't know if students at my college wear costumes, but I was thinking about wearing it to my theology class at least :nun:

Spem in alium

What an amesome idea! :love: I just made my own nun costume with my black choir dress (though more fitted than I'd like for a nun costume) and a veil made from a white shirt and a white pillowcase (my intention was to be a novice). It became Benedictine with a medal and cross. I sent a photo to my dad, who joked about me being a Mother Superior. :P

Christina Therese, you look amazing!

Love NonNovi's remark! I'll try and upload a pic......if it doesnt look to lame! I have to wear a Saint Benedict colored metal as my pendant, cause I couldnt find any kind of a monstrance (like mother A's) Great ideas AnneLine!!! I have a ortho knee brace fitting appointment tomorrow. I cant wait to see the look on everyones faces when I walk in!!! Lol

BTW... in case there is interest...

some of us are planning a 'halloween party' on the 'Graveyard has a fence' thread in the Lameboard...

I just posted a really good pasta recipe... come on down!

At the suggestion of one of the PMers, we're going to do it tomorrow AND on Sat Night so hopefully everyone can party.

Join us on line (no pun intended!) think about cooking the same stuff and we'll all party together... I think we've earned one! If by chance your power isn't back up by Sat... we'll consider either redoing it for the Octave OR perhaps select another day... like the 'halloween' eve of all Carmelite or Dominican Saints later this month....

Wear & post a costume if you dare....

Keep dry and safe, everyone...

I put my nun costume on for a few minutes at the end of my shift in the library right before my theology class so I could tell my professor I joined the convent while he was gone. A sister was about to leave the library when she saw me (it's a really small campus so we know each other, everyone knows each other), and she wanted a picture with me lol! A Vietnamese Dominican sister goes to my college as well, and she has the same theo professor right before my class. So she saw me in the hall and also wanted a picture--she's too cute! I'm waiting for someone to email me the pics so I can possibly post them, though I may edit out our faces for privacy reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
Mary+Immaculate<3

i have GOT TO do this, even though MY mom thought of this first :evil: (My sister pulled off Therese before any of you punks were able to walk hehehe). I'm going to be a team player though, and post some pics eventually

Mary+Immaculate<3

[attachment=3035:download-4.jpg]

[attachment=3036:download-6.jpg]

[attachment=3037:download-5.jpg]

[attachment=3038:download-8.jpg]

These are my contribution :nun: