An Old School Catholic Message Board

Celebrating Halloween

BarbTherese

We celebrate Halloween (Holy Eve) in Australia too although I think on a lesser scale to the USA. What I am doing this year with my bowl of lollies to hand out to trick or treaters is to print the real meaning of Halloween and its history, (so children can understand I hope) on colored paper to hand out with the lollies.
They can trick or treat me and I will trick or treat them. Lollies and a handout for a treat, or no lollies for a refused handout for a trick. I'll see what happens tonight. No eggs or tomatoes on my windows/verandah I hope! :beg:It's quite hot here and it would be a mess. :beg:

Keeping those suffering under Hurricane Sandy in the USA in prayer. I heard briefly on the news before going out that some have very tragically died. I should get the full news tonight. Although I heard Hurricane Sandy and the very rare weather pattern could continue for 48 to 72hrs.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

"the real meaning of Halloween and its history" sounds like it would be a bit of a turn off. What I think I would find more interesting is something about a particular saint especially one more relevant to youth or where you live: so like St. Mary MacKillop or patron saint of children or TV or....

That's a good idea though, and maybe it will encourage some children to think about more than just candy and costumes. :like:

AccountDeleted

In this Melbourne town, no one really celebrates Halloween at all. At Mass though our priest told us we will have two Masses on Thursday. In the morning we will have one for All Saints Day and then in the evening we will have a vigil for All Souls Day - and do you know why? He said it was because on Friday a lot of peopled might have gone away for the 'long weekend'. Now it isn't really a long weekend here, but next Tuesday is Melbourne Cup Day (a public holiday in Melbourne for a horse race! :P ) and people are starting to take more and more days off to make their 'weekend' longer. Lots of people take the Monday off before the Public Holiday on Tuesday, but now it seemsthat some are even anticipating this and taking the Friday off too! Australians really love their holidays! Well, at least we don't miss out on the Mass - we just get two in the one day!

Barb - I echo your request for prayers for the US - looks very distressing for so many people.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Maybe the rare weather pattern moves onto hollywood and floods it. Though the bible says to not wish anothers destruction even if there your sea anenoeme,so hopefully it doesn't unless GOD want's to wash it clean,that would be nice. And i do try and tell people the true story of all halloweds eve as far as i know it.) It's grace that your doing this barb, you could win young souls doing as such. A very saintly effort. I was told the celebration of all halloweds eve started in mexico and they used all gather at night and walk to there local graveyard banging pots and pans to scare of demons, i don't know the whole story but i have an inkling that possibly there were fireworks and dress ups or props involved and the precession started at midnoght, unsure though,i can't remember the whole story. :dead: :mex:

GOD bless you.
Onward christian souls.
JESUS iz LORD.

Tab, I think I have been tricked! Its after 9pm here and no trick or treaters on my front door! I have a bowl of lollies and my pinted colored sheets and I was looking so forward to when some litte voices said: "Trick or Treat, lady?" being able to reply "First, trick or treat from me!" Ah well, man proposes and The Lord disposes.
Laughing doubly now. I was told 30th October was Halloween and after writing the above, thought I had better check. Seems it is 31st October. So maybe I just might get to do some trick or treating of my own tomorrow night. Hope so!

Tab, the real story of Halloween can be found here [url="http://www.halloween-history.org/"]http://www.halloween-history.org/[/url]. I dont have time to read through it and can't find the Catholic resource where I got my info from for the coloured sheets to hand out tomorrow night. The history began with the Celts and is pagan if memory serves, and it is not very often that it will!

Me saintly........... :shocking: ah well, its great to give God a gigle and I bet He is LOL right now. I guarantee you, Tab, and no doubt whatsoever - nothing saint like here whatsoever........nothing.........none..........and if I even remotely suspected that there was something 'saint-like' about me, I would be fighting that image with all I had and then some.

Nunsense, hi there. How's it all going - well I hope and Carmel in Wolverhampten getting closer and closer. I must get back to your blog again! I was reflecting today on your vocation journey and on something I read about Tom Merton that in his early years in Gethsemane Monastery, he hated it and that it was real struggle for him to stay - and commented to my director (religious sister) today, that I sometimes wonder if I should have struggled more when in monastic life in my forties, rather than giving up and leaving. Sister assured me that she was convinced I was where God wanted me and this was reassuring. I believe deep down that I am and if perchance that I am not, then I am totally trustful that The Lord will guide me there - and no one better qualified to do it. But I still love religious life and monastic life specifically with a will. I did comment to Sister that especially when one is feeling down somewhat and stressed, that grass in that other paddock can sure look heaps better than that in mine. Human nature, huh! Another thing that just occured to me is that imagination can present a picture - while reality itself can be totally different.

I hope that your Joy is complete and that "complete" is much further on than you thought the 'complete Joy level' could ever be. Again, I thank you for all you have shared and in hope will be able to continue to share. To my mind, it can only bring encouragement to those who are struggling with a religious vocation(for one only) and this is probably very common - while it can be rather common to think that a religious vocation is all about absolute conviction, joy and wonderful experiences, with many assurances, all the way to the monastery door and beyond. It is this at times I think somewhere along the line, but struggles also.

Yep! Spot on, we Aussies do love our holidays and with an absolute will!

It is heartbreaking about this terrible storm. I heard that nothing like it has ever been known in the US before. Apparently even parts of New York are being evacuated. There is any death toll that is reported but sometimes the injured might have a lifetime of disablement and suffering ahead of them. And then there are the families and friends around those who have died and those injured. There is that terrible fear and anxiety to live with probably in the hearts of those in the storm's path. And then families and friends worried about same who are also facing the storm's fury.

[quote]Maybe the rare weather pattern moves onto hollywood and floods it. Though the bible says to not wish anothers destruction even if there your sea anenoeme,so hopefully it doesn't unless GOD want's to wash it clean,that would be nice. [/quote]

Wouldn't it just be nice. Gosh, the level of violence and sexual type scenes, is absolutely sickening - and I don't see movies, but Foxtel is still connected and sometimes what is available for TV truly shocks. Foxtel is going to be disconnected to this residence when they get round to it. I will miss the documentaries and current affair type programs however. But now and then some pretty good ones are on free to air.
Tab, you and I both know as well as probably most on Phatmass and beyond, that if God thinks cleaning up Hollywood is what is best at this point, then cleaned up it will be and nothing whatsoeer will defeat that objective and one day it will be the objective of The Lord. And one day it will be cleaned up - we have assurances of that in Scripture and hence naturally, the CCC too - and in The Creed we pray whenever attending Mass. Meanwhile, we can consider it something like remotely, very remotely, the Christians ("The Way" they were know back then, I rather like that term) living in the times of the pagan Romans............very little morality if any and worshipping many false gods or idols is more correct - and with the Christians as number one target of oppression and worse for many years. Oh how thankful I have not had to live through that and what a testimony to their Faith for one. The thing about martyrdom generally is that it does inspire others with great admiration indeed and even a desire to imitate.

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1351576816' post='2500214']
"the real meaning of Halloween and its history" sounds like it would be a bit of a turn off. What I think I would find more interesting is something about a particular saint especially one more relevant to youth or where you live: so like St. Mary MacKillop or patron saint of children or TV or....

That's a good idea though, and maybe it will encourage some children to think about more than just candy and costumes. :like:
[/quote]

Good comments,PetB. Actually I thought it would probably be a turn off too and if they did take a sheet, I would probably find them next day littering up the street, or they might be good little Aussie citizens and save them for a rubbish bin. One can only try. And Australia is littered enough! I rather like that wise advise "work as if everything depended on work and pray as if everything depended on prayer" and it does. Then there is that Psalm in the DO "Lord, grant success to the work of our hands" So the sheets were collated to mix different colors with a prayer Of course, my ideas about what SHOULD happen and those of The Lord may not be the same at all and may His Will be done. He really does know better than me, even thought there can be times sometimes often, when I suspect he might not. :bike: I do hope so much though that I get to say to those little rascals "First, trick or treat from me" It will be interesting to see what wins. If I get time tomorrow (I have a load of ironing to do arriving at 7.30am) I will try to find something on a saint for children and print it on the other side of my 'halloween sheets'. Thank you for the suggestion.

I really like our Aussie St Mary MacKillop of The Cross and some of her sayings and writing which are so wise and profound - short little words to a really huge point! I am going to return tomorrow if memory will please please serve me and post a book I have of some of her sayings. Just now, cannot recall the title.

Thank you for input and comments! :)

Nunsense, I have heard that some companies will penalize anyone who takes the Monday before Cup day off and dock the day out their pay - unless they have a doctor's certificate to account for their absence.
What! Don't celebrate Halloween in Melbourne. Gosh and I thought the Vics (Melbourne is capital of Victoria for those who don't know) had finally got one over us South Aussie's and were more advanced than we are. OHHHH the disapointment to me...........OHHH the pain! For those not in on Australian Political Affairs, there is absolute fierce competition between Victoria and South Australia on all things...absolutely all things....most especially footie (football). Actually i was born in Victoria, but dont advertise this dreadful news here in South Australia: I am Victorian! Shame! Shame! Shame!
I can't wait to pass the news on here........honestly! Victoria lags behind us and does not celebrate Halloween much at all! :popcorn2: Thanks, nunsense, very much - for the info. :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1351594745' post='2500250']

Laughing doubly now. I was told 30th October was Halloween and after writing the above, thought I had better check. Seems it is 31st October. So maybe I just might get to do some trick or treating of my own tomorrow night. Hope so! [/quote]

Barb - the secret is that Halloween actually stands for All Hallows Eve, the night before All Saints (Hallowed or HolyOnes) Day. My sister is going to buy lollies just in case but I doubt we will get anyone.

[quote]
Nunsense, hi there. How's it all going - well I hope and Carmel in Wolverhampten getting closer and closer. I must get back to your blog again! I was reflecting today on your vocation journey and on something I read about Tom Merton that in his early years in Gethsemane Monastery, he hated it and that it was real struggle for him to stay - and commented to my director (religious sister) today, that I sometimes wonder if I should have struggled more when in monastic life in my forties, rather than giving up and leaving. Sister assured me that she was convinced I was where God wanted me and this was reassuring. I believe deep down that I am and if perchance that I am not, then I am totally trustful that The Lord will guide me there - and no one better qualified to do it. But I still love religious life and monastic life specifically with a will. I did comment to Sister that especially when one is feeling down somewhat and stressed, that grass in that other paddock can sure look heaps better than that in mine. Human nature, huh! Another thing that just occured to me is that imagination can present a picture - while reality itself can be totally different.

I hope that your Joy is complete and that "complete" is much further on than you thought the 'complete Joy level' could ever be. Again, I thank you for all you have shared and in hope will be able to continue to share. To my mind, it can only bring encouragement to those who are struggling with a religious vocation(for one only) and this is probably very common - while it can be rather common to think that a religious vocation is all about absolute conviction, joy and wonderful experiences, with many assurances, all the way to the monastery door and beyond. It is this at times I think somewhere along the line, but struggles also.

[/quote]

I think the difference between Thomas Merton and me (to name just one) is that I never hated religious life. I found some things hard but I always loved it.My struggles had nothing to do with the life itself but with some things that were happening inside me, and with some situations beyond my control. I am just so grateful to be able to go back now to a life that I have always loved.

I hope that my story offers some encouragement to those who are going through a difficult time, whether that is a religious vocation or anything else, because we all have to struggle in this world, in or out of a convent. It is the struggle that often gives the greatest meaning to our lives.

And you are also right in that there is a joy too, and a sense of completeness in feeling that one is fulfilling their purpose in life by living in a way that it is pleasing to God. There are many ways to do this, but they all come from the two greatest commandments of all - to love God and to love our neighbour.

The 'grass is always greener' syndrome is a very human one, and I don't know anyone who doesn't occasionally wonder about their choices in life, but if we look backwards (or even sideways) we might miss the beautiful present that is being spread out before us. I am sure that what we 'could have/should have/might have' done comes to everyone too - but they say hindsight is 20/20. We are where we are and have to work from that point forward. If I had stayed in Wolverhampton the first time I would have been solemnly professed by now - but I didn't. My joy is in the present. Whatever your life is right now, there is where God is too, and what happens from this point on builds on now. No regrets, just gratitude for lessons learned, right?

So let's get ready for Halloween tomorrow night! :)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1351576816' post='2500214']
"the real meaning of Halloween and its history" sounds like it would be a bit of a turn off. What I think I would find more interesting is something about a particular saint especially one more relevant to youth or where you live: so like St. Mary MacKillop or [b]patron saint of[/b] children or [b]TV[/b] or....
[/quote]
A little biased, are we? :P

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1351610693' post='2500322']
A little biased, are we? :P
[/quote]

:evil: Can I help it if kids watch TV and the patron saint is our Seraphic Mother St. Clare?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1351655344' post='2500917']
:evil: Can I help it if kids watch TV and the patron saint is our Seraphic Mother St. Clare?
[/quote]
I suppose you're right. ;)

Thanks nunsense. I did know the history of Halloween, but sometimes this mind just doesn't connect dobts as obivous as they might be. Thank you for your comments. No way was I connecting Thomas Merton to you and your journey, rather to my own. He hung in there, I didn't. And whenever I reflect and think about it, if I had the opportunity to enter monastic life once again, I wouldn't do it knowing that I wouldn't stay. But I love religious life and monastic life - just not called there. I am very sure I am where I am meant to be.
Well its now 1st November here and last night my big bowl of lollies and my coloured sheets giving the history of Halloween went nowhere. Not one trick or treater knocked on my door. Very strange and the first year that I can recall that that has happened in many a year. Ah well............ perhaps next year.

AccountDeleted

Don't despair Barb - we only had one trick or treater and she came while my sister and I were up at the shops. so her daughter got to hand out the candy! We were very sorry to have missed the little Halloweenie but it gives me hope that Australia might be softening towards this holiday. I aw some kids down the block walking in costume - they might have only been going to a party but at least they had the costumes on!

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1351575898' post='2500210']
Keeping those suffering under Hurricane Sandy in the USA in prayer. I heard briefly on the news before going out that some have very tragically died. I should get the full news tonight. Although I heard Hurricane Sandy and the very rare weather pattern could continue for 48 to 72hrs.
[/quote]

Yeah some people have been hit very hard down here in South Jersey along the Barrier Islands ... I haven't been able to get to the parish yet. They have no power and the convent and school's cafeteria were flooded.

I was very lucky ... but I think it was really because my area got hit with the derecho in June. So -- all of the loose/old/dead trees (plus others) came down. I really had no trees that could hit the roof. And -- we had lost power in June for a week, this time I only saw the power flicker.