An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Urges Americans To Vote For Romney

dUSt

[b]"Pope Benedict Urges Americans to Vote for Romney"[/b]

Would we ever see a headline like this? Has a pope ever gotten involved in an American election, or other elections? Why or why not?

Let's keep politics out of it. I want to talk about the pope's role and/or involvement in worldy politics.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351616517' post='2500363']
Let's keep politics out of it. I want to talk about the pope's role and/or involvement in worldy politics.
[/quote]

Um....

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Um it's kinda hard to keep politics out of a "pope getting into politics" discussion.

But personally, I don't think one can fully grasp the complications of our political and governmental system without being or living in the country firsthand to see the implications of it's actions. Therefore, as much as I respect the Pope, I don't think he should be "urging" who to vote for no matter how much spiritual or church authority he possesses. The bishops and clergy within the United States IMO have that right.

But don't forget, ultimately it's the voter's choice, the will of God, and the Freedom of Conscience that everyone possesses that will decide the election.

We will not see a headline like this, ever, unless it was a gross distortion of the facts wherein an editor extrapolated it from some other statement he had made in a blatant attempt at propaganda. The Pope has more respect for his office than that, he knows that any such action in favor of any political candidate would be seen as an attempt to convert the Church's unifying communion into a means of forming a political block. Misuse of the communion of the Church like that is a serious offense against the unity of the Church and would most certainly put souls in danger if it came from the Pope.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351617685' post='2500373']
We will not see a headline like this, ever, unless it was a gross distortion of the facts wherein an editor extrapolated it from some other statement he had made in a blatant attempt at propaganda. The Pope has more respect for his office than that, he knows that any such action in favor of any political candidate would be seen as an attempt to convert the Church's unifying communion into a means of forming a political block. Misuse of the communion of the Church like that is a serious offense against the unity of the Church and would most certainly put souls in danger if it came from the Pope.
[/quote]
Yeah, good points.

Pope's have certainly had influence over things like this in the past, but I'm trying to think of any modern examples of a pope ever getting involved with the outcome of world leadership.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Well in that case I don't think He should have a role in Politics in a country which he doesn't live in.

And that goes for anyone, not the just Pope.

Edited by LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351617879' post='2500376']
Yeah, good points.

Pope's have certainly had influence over things like this in the past, but I'm trying to think of any modern examples of a pope ever getting involved with the outcome of world leadership.
[/quote]

I believe the closest you will find to that is popes condemning certain parties or trends in thought. For instance, Action Française was condemned by Pius XI in 1926. Obviously the Nazi ideology was condemned. Liberation theology in certain forms.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351618773' post='2500386']
I believe the closest you will find to that is popes condemning certain parties or trends in thought. For instance, Action Française was condemned by Pius XI in 1926. Obviously the Nazi ideology was condemned. Liberation theology in certain forms.
[/quote]

I heard Austrian economics were also condemned. Is this so?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351619222' post='2500391']

I heard Austrian economics were also condemned. Is this so?
[/quote]
I do not think this is correct.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351619416' post='2500392']
I do not think this is correct.
[/quote]

Then why were Ayn Rand's philosophies condemned, out of curiosity? I don't know much about her, just that she wrote Atlas Shrugged and her name is weird and everyone has a different way to pronounce it.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351619534' post='2500396']

Then why were Ayn Rand's philosophies condemned, out of curiosity? I don't know much about her, just that she wrote Atlas Shrugged and her name is weird and everyone has a different way to pronounce it.
[/quote]
Ayn Rand is really not related to Austrian economics. She is an objectivist, which is another thing entirely. Austrian economics is a school of economics, not a philosophical ideology.
I do not agree with objectivism either. I have no love for Ayn Rand.

Also strictly speaking, I do not think there is any official condemnation of objectivism. If I am incorrect about that I hope somebody can prove me wrong, because I would love to read it, but I do not think such an official statement exists.

DiscerningCatholic

I think that it's important that the pope makes the 5 intrinsic evils very clear, and clarifies what is morally wrong with anyone who supports the 5 intrinsic evils and what is wrong with voting for someone who supports them. I don't think that he should make or enforce any voting "rules" so to speak regarding the economy or things like that.