An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2013

Lil Red

DiscerningCatholic

Just curious: are you basing these on the intentions or the person or is it a random draw? I see no connection with me and St. Matthias... :| Not complaining - just curious!

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1352133668' post='2504533']
Just curious: are you basing these on the intentions or the person or is it a random draw? I see no connection with me and St. Matthias... :| Not complaining - just curious!
[/quote]

i put all the names in a bowl. when i pray, i ask the Holy Spirit to guide my hand to pick the patron saint based on the person and their intentions. then i pick the name out of the bowl.

it's not like this is binding, you know. if you don't want the saint, then don't take it (i don't do re-draws though). but the point is to get to know the saint throughout the year and to ask for their intercession throughout the year. sometimes the connection isn't known right away. :)

DiscerningCatholic

I know that the Trolly Spirit's (He's earned that nickname in my life ;) ) gonna do something with this! I was just wondering, that's all! :)

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1352134198' post='2504539']
I know that the Trolly Spirit's (He's earned that nickname in my life ;) ) gonna do something with this! I was just wondering, that's all! :)
[/quote]

okie dokie :)

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352134171' post='2504537']
Lil Red, will you choose a patron saint for me? Thanks!
[/quote]

hi Iggy! :) you received two: St. Margaret of Cortona and St. Frances Cabrini. :) God bless and good to "see" you!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1352133668' post='2504533']
[/quote]

DC--Sometimes the results of Lil Red's random draw are very interesting and illuminating. Two years ago, I participated in the draw and others were getting less well-known saints. Guess who I got? Mary, Mother of God!

Someone like you, DC, is already close to Mary, and is already praying to get closer to her. Otherwise, why would you be discerning with the DSMMEs?

But, the Holy Spirit knew that "I" was having trouble understanding Mary and getting close to her. So, I got an extra "nudge" to keep working on that. Among other things, I now wear a Miraculous Medal 24/7 and try to say the Rosary at least a few times week. I still have a long way to go, but the Holy Sprit used Lil Red's "random draw" as a start.

So, you may wonder "Why St. Matthias?" now, but a year from now you may better understand why he was picked for you.

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352134667' post='2504543']
DC--Sometimes the results of Lil Red's random draw are very interesting and illuminating. Two years ago, I participated in the draw and others were getting less well-known saints. Guess who I got? Mary, Mother of God!

Someone like you, DC, is already close to Mary, and is already praying to get closer to her. Otherwise, why would you be discerning with the DSMMEs?

But, the Holy Spirit knew that "I" was having trouble understanding Mary and getting close to her. So, I got an extra "nudge" to keep working on that. Among other things, I now wear a Miraculous Medal 24/7 and try to say the Rosary at least a few times week. I still have a long way to go, but the Holy Sprit used Lil Red's "random draw" as a start.

So, you may wonder "Why St. Matthias?" now, but a year from now you may better understand why he was picked for you.
[/quote]
Or you could be like me and totally forget about your Saint from last year and feel really bad now. :ohno: I kind of feel like I insulted my Saint. But I hope he's Saintly enough that he prayed for me, anyway.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1352134410' post='2504541']

hi Iggy! :) you received two: St. Margaret of Cortona and St. Frances Cabrini. :) God bless and good to "see" you!
[/quote]

Thanks! I forgot to participate last year, so I need two saints. St. Francis Cabrina is a particularly nice choice for me, since she did so much of her work in Chicago, and actually died there. (Although she is interred elsewhere.)

I've never heard of St. Margaret of Cortona, but now I will!

Thanks again!

It's good to be here, Lil Red!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352135324' post='2504550']
Thanks! I forgot to participate last year, so I need two saints. St. Francis Cabrina is a particularly nice choice for me, since she did so much of her work in Chicago, and actually died there. (Although she is interred elsewhere.)

Thanks again!

[/quote]

:) here's some more information on St. Margaret of Cortona: http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-margaret-of-cortona/

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352135324' post='2504550']

Thanks again!

[/quote]
If you manage to get out west this year you might want to visit the Mother Cabrini Shrine in Colorado! It is really amesome, I've been there a few times and I always love it.

Red, thanks for drawing one for me. (For anyone who is curious I got St Rose Duchesne) I had never heard of her before but I look forward to getting to know her over the next year!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1352136424' post='2504559']
Red, thanks for drawing one for me. (For anyone who is curious I got St Rose Duchesne) I had never heard of her before but I look forward to getting to know her over the next year!
[/quote]

here's a good place to start : http://saints.sqpn.com/saintr20.htm :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Philippine_Duchesne