An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Supports Anarchy?

dUSt

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1351982037' post='2503612']

Well doesn't that really equate to the same thing as everyone doing what they want?[/QUOTE]

No.

[QUOTE]If there are no laws to follow, then no one enforces them, and so anyone can kill anyone they want to without fear of reprisal (except from another person who might want to kill them) - sounds a bit like returning to a lawless society where those with the guns control everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Although you do highlight the (or rather, a) central practical problem of anarchism. Anarchic systems can work. But it is not clear that they can work on a global scale for exactly the reasons you highlight.

[QUOTE]Doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live anyway.
[/quote]

Well. I think that an Israeli Kibbutz, of the old style, would actually be a very nice place to live. But I don't know that the system would collapse if implemented on a global scale.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1351982063' post='2503613']

i liked how dUSt explained it. :|

:P
[/quote]

YEs but even if

"Anarchism is generally defined as the political philosophy which holds the state to be immoral..."

.. what makes anarchism itself a more 'moral' philosophy than any kind of government?

It is up to the people to vote for a more moral government rather than throw away the whole system. And if anarchy really believes in 'no gods' does it also believe in no 'one God?'

The pattern may be pretty but for a Catholic t-shirt??

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1351982713' post='2503620']
YEs but even if

"Anarchism is generally defined as the political philosophy which holds the state to be immoral..."

.. what makes anarchism itself a more 'moral' philosophy than any kind of government?

It is up to the people to vote for a more moral government rather than throw away the whole system. And if anarchy really believes in 'no gods' does it also believe in no 'one God?'

The pattern may be pretty but for a Catholic t-shirt??
[/quote]

Anarchism has traditionally been an atheistic movement because is views religion as a tool of control by the state. And that's been true for most of history. Particularly in the places with the strongest anarchist traditions.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351977269' post='2503582']
So I just created a new design for the "Love @ Conception" shirt. I like it a lot better, and it's the first purple phatmass shirt we've ever made.

But after I started looking at it, the font I used made the "A" in the @ symbol a capital instead of lowercase. I think it looks way cooler like that. But, does it resemble an anarchy symbol too much, or am I just being paranoid?
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/shop/images/534/love_at_conception_new.png[/img]
[/quote]I see love at conception

I asked the Phatmass spiritual advisor, Fr P-Fex. He said no. Haha. He said the similarities to the anarchy symbol could be too easily misunderstood, and is usually associated with athiesm or violence.

We will always fight against abortion...But its a battle that will never be won...Their will always be two sides to this... It's Human Nature

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351988589' post='2503644']
I asked the Phatmass spiritual advisor, Fr P-Fex. He said no. Haha. He said the similarities to the anarchy symbol could be too easily misunderstood, and is usually associated with athiesm or violence.
[/quote]

well, that's that, then.

you should make a couple special edition ones and sell them to the resident anarcho-capitalists at a higher price. they'll appreciate your business savvy and be more than happy to finance you so long as you don't coerce them with violence, man. so don't charge them any taxes on it, then they probably won't buy it.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1351993137' post='2503663']
you should make a couple special edition ones and sell them to the resident anarcho-capitalists at a higher price. they'll appreciate your business savvy and be more than happy to finance you so long as you don't coerce them with violence, man. so don't charge them any taxes on it, then they probably won't buy it.
[/quote]
Pretty much.

missionseeker

Here is an interview with a brilliant, Catholic man explaining anarchism.

Btw, dust, I understand, but am kind of bummed the shirts aren't gonna happen. Lol.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=duP4v_WeHhc

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352068708' post='2504120']
Here is an interview with a brilliant, Catholic man explaining anarchism.

Btw, dust, I understand, but am kind of bummed the shirts aren't gonna happen. Lol.
[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=duP4v_WeHhc"]http://m.youtube.com...p&v=duP4v_WeHhc[/url]
[/quote]
My opinion of you just shot up a bit. ;)