An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time To Get Your Virtues And Continents For 2013...

AnneLine

curiousing, on 01 Jan 2013 - 18:06, said:snapback.png
Could I still have a virtue, please? I know I'm late... :-(

Not late... you just have to practice it before midnight on the 1st or twice on the second! ;)

VIRTUE: Courage

Thank you very much! But, umm... how does one actively practice courage on a daily basis? Don't I like have to wait for a dragon to attack or something?

Thank you very much! But, umm... how does one actively practice courage on a daily basis? Don't I like have to wait for a dragon to attack or something?

I do hope you realized I was teasing about practicing the virtue twice that day... although for me, braving New Year's Eve crowds would have been heroic..... ;)

It's more about working on a regular building up of the virtue.

How you go for it is up to you.   I'd just tackle things in a 'courageous' way and be aware of looking for opportunties.  There are tasks and things I dread doing.... I'd try to build up my 'courage' muscles by really throwing myself into them (in a healthy way of course).   For me... could be reading parts of the newspaper I avoid. 

It might mean watching for opportunities to take a stand when someone says something mean...

you might also want pray over the dictionary defintiion of courage...see where the word came from.  

This is what www.Dictionary.com says Courage is:

=======================================================

cour·age
noun
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
Obsolete . the heart as the source of emotion.
Idioms
have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism.

Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English corage < Old French, equivalent to cuer heart (< Latin cor; see heart) + -age -age

Synonyms
1. fearlessness, dauntlessness, intrepidity, pluck, spirit. Courage, bravery, valor, bravado refer to qualities of spirit and conduct. Courage permits one to face extreme dangers and difficulties without fear: to take (or lose ) courage. Bravery implies true courage with daring and an intrepid boldness: bravery in a battle. Valor implies heroic courage: valor in fighting for the right. Bravado is now usually a boastful and ostentatious pretense of courage or bravery: empty bravado.

Antonyms

1. cowardice.

Maybe watch a little of the Wizard of Oz and listen to the Cowardly Lion talk about what having more courage would mean to him.  (It's on youtube...)  

Try doing google search of the virtue and see what you get.  Maybe even an IMAGE or VIDEO search.  

You get the idea. 

Have fun with these!   

They are intended so you are more aware of your virtue... not get you killed!

Yes, I think only an occasional dragon... although perhaps more than a few spiders (or whatever)..... we all have our own things we find scary.  

Edited by AnneLine

I would like one of each please! Thank you for doing this! 
JMJ+ :heart:

You are very welcome - it is a privilege to do this for all of you!

VIRTUE:    Fostering Community

CONTINENT:  Asia

Edited by AnneLine

This is what www.Dictionary.com says Courage is:

cour·age
noun
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
Obsolete . the heart as the source of emotion.
Idioms
have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism.

Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English corage < Old French, equivalent to cuer heart (< Latin cor; see heart) + -age -age

Synonyms
1. fearlessness, dauntlessness, intrepidity, pluck, spirit. Courage, bravery, valor, bravado refer to qualities of spirit and conduct. Courage permits one to face extreme dangers and difficulties without fear: to take (or lose ) courage. Bravery implies true courage with daring and an intrepid boldness: bravery in a battle. Valor implies heroic courage: valor in fighting for the right. Bravado is now usually a boastful and ostentatious pretense of courage or bravery: empty bravado.

Antonyms

1. cowardice.

I don't know what in the world inspired you to add the dictionary definition of courage, but I'm guessing it was the Holy Spirit. You'll never understand what a difference you just made, but thank you very much. :-)

Thank you.   I do think that the Holy Spirit has a lot to do with these.. .and has a lot of fun with them...

On a more pragmatic level, I had a spiritual director suggest using an unabridged dictionary to look up words in scripture and if I felt stuck about something.   I find it sometimes can be a BIG aid to prayer... and to tackling things I am stuck with.  Glad to share that with you....

You (and everyone else) might want to go check out the full entry because they also had some links to discusisons about different aspects of courage... I didn't open them, don't know if they'd be relevant or not, but I hesitate to link to something in Phatmass if I haven't checked it out... and I didn't have time right now..... but hey, be courageous!  ;)

Edited by AnneLine

Catholicterp7
You are very welcome - it is a privilege to do this for all of you!

VIRTUE:    Fostering Community

CONTINENT:  Asia

Wow, that's very fitting for my life right now. Gotta love it when the Holy Spirit does things like that! :) 

JMJ+ :heart: 

No way no way no way...... impossible!! That is the only virtue I was dreading but surely the one I need the most... oh dear. Thanks so much!! :)

okay we got the same virtue and I was thinking please not patience....  Everybody says that I need to learn how to grow in patience and now I will have to work on it this year!

Use the virtue in a sentence.... "That blessed mistletoe8.pngis testing my patience!!!!!"

TheLordsSouljah and cartermia, what you both wrote is very interesting to me... because I was almost tempted to throw those back in, figuring I hadn't 'stirred the pot' enough...

Sounds like you got what the Spirit intended for you... Don't blame me, I really did stir it about 10 times betwen 'draws'....  Hmmmmmmm.  

Lelt's see if looking at our friend 'Dictionary.com' will give you any ideas that may help:

from www.dictionary.com :

=======================================================================

pa·tience
noun
the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow learner.
quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.
( Cards chiefly British ) solitaire ( def 1 ) .
Also called patience dock. a European dock, Rumex patientia, of the buckwheat family, whose leaves are often used as a vegetable.
Obsolete . leave; permission; sufference.

Origin:
1175–1225; Middle English pacience < Old French < Latin patientia. See patient, -ence

Related forms
su·per·pa·tience, noun.

Synonyms
1. composure, stability, self-possession; submissiveness, sufferance. Patience endurance fortitude stoicism imply qualities of calmness, stability, and persistent courage in trying circumstances. Patience may denote calm, self-possessed, and unrepining bearing of pain, misfortune, annoyance, or delay; or painstaking and untiring industry or (less often) application in the doing of somehing: to bear afflictions with patience. Endurance denotes the ability to bear exertion, hardship, or suffering (without implication of moral qualities required or shown): Running in a marathon requires great endurance. Fortitude implies not only patience but courage and strength of character in the midst of pain, affliction, or hardship: to show fortitude in adversity. Stoicism is calm fortitude, with such repression of emotion as to seem almost like indifference to pleasure or pain: The American Indians were noted for stoicism under torture. 3. indefatigability, persistence, assiduity.

========================================================================

Praying for you both.....

Edited by AnneLine