An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Keep Your Thermostat At In The Winter?

ardillacid

cmotherofpirl

When I turn on the furnace it is set at 60, but we also installed ventless gas heaters in the living room and kitchen some years back so it stays off til we can 't stand it anymore. I also have one of those small oil-filled heaters in the bathroom to keep it cozy. The heaters have been on since October 1, but I hope to avoid the furnace til around January, depending on the weather.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1352087970' post='2504293']
[/quote]

Oh you crazy Canadians, you should have told him that 20 Celsius is 68 Fahrenheit !

ed

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352088116' post='2504294']
During the day the windows are open. During the night the windows are closed. Quite a simple concept.
[/quote]
Not in the winter it isn't. Unless you live in Florida...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1352088776' post='2504299']
Not in the winter it isn't. Unless you live in Florida...
[/quote]

It gets to sub-zero temperatures in Kansas.

My roommates and I kept our thermostat off in winter in Texas, at least until they got tired of the apartment temperature being stuck at 55. I think we then set it for 58/60. I used to go around barefoot and with a short-sleeve shirt. It wasn't until my friend (today: wife) came over and complained about our temperature that I realized how cold it was.

Now, in Maryland, we keep the air conditioner on at 76 in the winter and the heat kicks in around 68. I don't want to freeze the babies...

Basilisa Marie

Growing up, 60 because my parents were thrifty. :| It was usually around 55 in my room, on the far end of the house.

Now I keep it at a comfortable 70...because utilities are thrown in with my university housing. :)

70. Anything lower I freeze. Shoot ... in Argentina I have no clue what the temp was but it took 5 wool blankets. So considering that 70 is about as cold as I can get (and I use a comforter and a heavy crochet blanket)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352088893' post='2504301']

It gets to sub-zero temperatures in Kansas.
[/quote]
shut the windows!!!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1352089504' post='2504314']
shut the windows!!!
[/quote]

I do. Windows open during the day if it gets hot (And it does because our insulation is really good) and close them at night. If it gets to cold gather up some blankets.

Usually around 65.

It was always a war when I lived on campus. The bottom floor would freeze, and everyone else would sweat...