An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think?

Annie12

Right now, I love the college I attend. I thinks it is amesome! But, I'm not sure if I can do the academics. It's a very rigorous curriculum and it only gets harder. So, I am faced with the decision whether I should transfer after this year of stay and see if I fail out of college. I also have learning issues and I need extra support with academics which I can't get here (they don't offer any academic support). So, I really don't know what to do. I don't even know why I am at college and can't figure out why God has lead me here. What should I do? What do you think? It would break my heart to have to leave but I might end up failing out of college anyway.

I would go to a college that has majors (because my current school is a great books school). I would major is theology or youth ministry and I would make sure I had academic support. I have a few schools in mind. Does anyone know much about Benedictine college?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1352166192' post='2504915']
I would go to a college that has majors (because my current school is a great books school). I would major is theology or youth ministry and I would make sure I had academic support. I have a few schools in mind. Does anyone know much about Benedictine college?
[/quote]

My sister, my brother-in-law, and all of their friends who are my friends now all went to Benedictine college. It's a great college and you will love it. However, it is expensive and it is academically challenging. I believe they have student support there, but my sister majored in youth ministry and theology and she was doing an unbelievable amount of papers every year. Michael (The brother-in-law) had to do a thirty five page paper once. Don't be discouraged; it's wonderful there. Just know that it is not a way out of being challenged to the very limit at times. I can assure you that it is likely ten times better than your current college, though.

I'm not trying to get out of being challenged. I just want to be able to get acceptable grades and to do that I need academic support. So, I'm gonna need to pray about this and figure out what I need to do...

Your prayers would also be greatly appreciated!

homeschoolmom

My dd's friend goes to Benedictine. Other than it's in Kansas (which has been mentioned) and costs a lot (also mentioned), I know nothing.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1352167201' post='2504931']
I'm not trying to get out of being challenged. I just want to be able to get acceptable grades and to do that I need academic support. So, I'm gonna need to pray about this and figure out what I need to do...

Your prayers would also be greatly appreciated!
[/quote]
I am praying for you Annie! I have looked into Benedictine a little. It looks like a great school, but I don't know much about it.

You should think about going to Ave Maria. :)

Edited by i<3franciscans

Future jobs don't check your GPA, all they care about is that you received a degree. I wouldn't advise flunking out, transfer to a school that gives you the academic support you need. That's what I would do if I was you.

well in my experience gpa can matter quite a bit. If there is a possibility of doing graduate, law or medical school for example it can be very important. And some employers actually sort resumes by gpa.

Transferring is usually costly in terms of $$$ and time. But if it will help get your gpa above 3.0 it might be worth it. But ... if this is your freshman year ... you are halfway through your first semester. You might just be adjusting to college ... is that a possibility?

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1352165388' post='2504902']
Right now, I love the college I attend. I thinks it is amesome! But, I'm not sure if I can do the academics. It's a very rigorous curriculum and it only gets harder. So, I am faced with the decision whether I should transfer after this year of stay and see if I fail out of college. I also have learning issues and I need extra support with academics which I can't get here (they don't offer any academic support). So, I really don't know what to do. I don't even know why I am at college and can't figure out why God has lead me here. What should I do? What do you think? It would break my heart to have to leave but I might end up failing out of college anyway.
[/quote]

Have you considered the idea of attending community college or junior college for the first two years? Not only are they cheaper, but you get more support from teachers since the class size is not as large. Plus, they have tutors available at the library during the day.

Basilisa Marie

Your school doesn't offer ANY learning services? Do you have documented learning disabilities? Have you tried talking to your professors? Different study techniques? Just trying to brain storm here. :) If you can, I'd try sticking out the whole year.