An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychic Television Show

jazzytakara

As some of you may know, I volunteer at a local television show. One of the shows I occasionally volunteer on is a show that interviews experts in a variety of fields. One of the fields is on psychics (including mediums, indigo children, etc.). So it had me thinking, I know that the Church, and the Christian faith as a whole views psychics and things related to it as sinful, and I was just wondering where these abilities come from, as it seems that some of the guests feel the psychics have really touched them and revealed things to them. So much so that I nearly wanted to meet with the psychic to ask him about my future concerns. I was too afraid to talk about my problems publicly on a television show, and I strongly felt that I'd be rejecting God by not trusting my future in his hands, so I opted not to call.

I just wonder where their abilities, if any come from? Are they really communicating with the dead? Why is it sinful/is it really? And more so is there any good prayers (novenas, patron saints, general prayers to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) for someone dealing with concerns over unemployment, family struggles, friends walking out on them, worries for my dying great grandmother (her heart is failing as well as her other organs, they can no longer get an IV or her medication into her), concerns about school, future career, anxiety attacks (I've been prescribed an anti-anxiety/anti-deppressant medication, I'm afraid to take it..I worry it will make me numb/change my personality), and worry over my current relationship (my issues are causing strain, he has much more serious problems in his life, and his lack of faith is hard sometimes, but I love him, he loves me. Past hurts and anxiety/depression just make things more difficult at times outside of usual arguments). I just feel alone and worried for the future, and I'd much rather improve my prayer life/increase my prayers and trust in God than go against God's wishes and consult a psychic...

Can anyone help?

Most, probably all 'psychics' on television shows are just cold readers. Nothing supernatural about it- they are basically stage magicians, and given the way they present themselves, kind of frauds as well.
Most psychics in general are going to be of that variety. But that is not to say that there are not some out there who are rather more creepy.

Someone I know visited a psychic last year. One of the creepy ones, I think. I was not there, obviously, so I cannot tell how much of it she got from a good cold reading, but some of the stuff he told me she said made me very uncomfortable.

Any such thing is of the occult and against the catholic faith. The Catechism states that even if used with good intentions such as to help someone that any form of divination is tantamount to calling the devil into your life.

I just found a neat online version and copied this ---> "[b]2116 [/b]All forms of [i]divination [/i]are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone."

ed

I hated "Crossing Over with John Edward" and when Montel Williams had Sylvia Browne on his show. They always appeared like con-artists to me. My mom used to love watching John Edwards and it drove me nuts. Even when I was not firm in my faith, I realized that it was ridiculous. :(

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Like Nihil said, most if not all say cold readings. I'd be more willing to take the drug than to receive advise from a psychic. Trust in the Lord God, He is the best psychic around. Keep your faith in Him.

Start taking your anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medicine since it was prescribed. Remember that your doc prescribed this medication because he/she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.

You're admittedly going through a lot. Sometimes we need just a little chemical aid to help us deal. When things settle down and you feel as if you're getting normalcy back, talk to your doc about stopping. Being on medication doesn't have to be permanent but it definitely can help!

I'm concerned as my boyfriend seems to be buying into it all. He usually considers himself agnostic, but this past week after family and friends called in and received an eerie cold reading he is starting to believe it. He has told me he prefers logic and proof and struggles with believing in Christianity/Catholicism, but one cold reading has him considering truth in these abilities..

Take the drugs!

Sorry, I'm not Dr. Phillis when it comes to relationships. When it comes to believing in God with people who have faith in Him, no proof is needed and to unbelievers, no proof is enough.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1352175615' post='2504996']
Long Island Medium is a neat show.

The end.
[/quote]

It's a neat show ... but I don't trust anything to do with mediums. The stuff she says reminds me of wicca. (ex: using sage for a house cleaning).

I do watch it at times for the entertainment value. But she's coming to AC (by popular demand ... she was just here a few weeks ago) and I will NOT be going to THAT show. Too creepy/dangerous.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352178574' post='2505010']
I hated "Crossing Over with John Edward" and when Montel Williams had Sylvia Browne on his show. They always appeared like con-artists to me. My mom used to love watching John Edwards and it drove me nuts. Even when I was not firm in my faith, I realized that it was ridiculous. :(
[/quote]

Oh come on, the generic hooks seem a bit con-artist-y? :P I'm sensing the someone in this audience had a person they were close to die. It was a man or a woman.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1352298222' post='2505701']

Oh come on, the generic hooks seem a bit con-artist-y? :P I'm sensing the someone in this audience had a person they were close to die. It was a man or a woman.
[/quote]

LOL! Or like John Edward:

"I'm being pulled in this direction. Someone is directing me over here."

Hmmmm, perhaps you are being directed by your steps? :lol:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352320725' post='2505950']

LOL! Or like John Edward:

"I'm being pulled in this direction. Someone is directing me over here."

Hmmmm, perhaps you are being directed by your steps? :lol:
[/quote]

I nearly spit out my water! Isn't he also the one who talked about how he prayed the Rosary before each show, or am I thinking of a different "psychic"?