An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychic Television Show

jazzytakara

I spoke to my boyfriend about the issue, I always aim for honesty in my relationships, he still has an agnostic opinion of it all, though he admits to things being eerily accurate at times. His logical mindset kicked in when one of the psychics spoke about communicating with fairies and brownies (type of magical beings I remember from girl guides) in the elemental realm. I still wish he was more understanding of Christianity, but I leave that to prayer. I think I may take the pills once I can afford them, at the moment I cannot take the $200 hit they will cost me.

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1352330270' post='2506141']
I think I may take the pills once I can afford them, at the moment I cannot take the $200 hit they will cost me.
[/quote]

You should prolly get insurance and get a generic brand, they're much more affordable.

Sadly I do not qualify for insurance atm. I may be able to get coverage in January was I resume full-time student status, but for now I have to pay full price up front.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1352324980' post='2506018']
I nearly spit out my water! Isn't he also the one who talked about how he prayed the Rosary before each show, or am I thinking of a different "psychic"?
[/quote]

I'm not sure! It wouldn't surprise me because he was brought up Catholic...

Actually, I just looked it up because I was curious to know the answer, and it IS John Edward. :(

[font="Verdana"][size="2"]"My process of preparing for any type of psychic work is to meditate and pray the rosary." -John Edward[/size][/font]

If that is not a contradiction in terms, I don't know what is...

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

For what it is worth, this article was requried reading in a class on Critical Thinking that I had to take in college -- it is excellent...

It outlines how a cold reading works...

[url="http://www.skepdic.com/Hyman_cold_reading.htm"]http://www.skepdic.com/Hyman_cold_reading.htm[/url]

This reminds me of the comedy detective sitcom Psych, where the main character fakes his psychic abilities to solve crimes. It isn't "Psych" as in psychic, but as in fooled ya.

Edited by tinytherese

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1352166131' post='2504914']
and I strongly felt that I'd be rejecting God by not trusting my future in his hands, so I opted not to call.[/quote]

Had me scared for a moment that you actually went through with it. :ohno: I am quite glad you didn't.

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1352166131' post='2504914']
I just wonder where their abilities, if any come from? Are they really communicating with the dead? Why is it sinful/is it really? And more so is there any good prayers (novenas, patron saints, general prayers to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) for someone dealing with concerns over unemployment, family struggles, friends walking out on them, worries for my dying great grandmother (her heart is failing as well as her other organs, they can no longer get an IV or her medication into her), concerns about school, future career, anxiety attacks (I've been prescribed an anti-anxiety/anti-deppressant medication, I'm afraid to take it..I worry it will make me numb/change my personality), and worry over my current relationship (my issues are causing strain, he has much more serious problems in his life, and his lack of faith is hard sometimes, but I love him, he loves me. Past hurts and anxiety/depression just make things more difficult at times outside of usual arguments). I just feel alone and worried for the future, and I'd much rather improve my prayer life/increase my prayers and trust in God than go against God's wishes and consult a psychic...

Can anyone help?
[/quote]

2 solutions.

Either they are a Sherlock Holmes as AnneLine cited with the article, or they are actually communicating with demons. In either case, they are not helpful at all, and in one case, they are quite harmful.

It's sinful because simply you are breaking the 1st commandment of putting other gods before God.

Demons may give accurate info as they do not have to lie all the time.......yes demons are real, and people have succeeded in communicating with them before. They are like the cute harmless looking alligator sitting completely still in a pond.....but when you get too close to them, the still alligator turns into a raging monster, the water turns to mud, and you have great difficulty in getting away.

Messing with the Occult invites terrible, terrible danger into your life and makes you very susceptible to possession. Even if you don't get possessed, your life will become a mess. Even if you think your life is difficult now, things can and will get worse.

Think of it this way, would the Catholic Church sternly warn us to not do something if it was impossible? What would be the point of saying no to something that was impossible?

Again, I am very glad you held your ground, and went with your gut call on God. Keep your guard up.

Do you a good Catholic friend you can vent too? Online doesn't count.

I suggest the St. Michael the Archangel Prayer as you have a multi-front war going on in your life and this recent incident should be a warning sign.

Hold your ground! :crusader2:

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1352455686' post='2507064']
For what it is worth, this article was requried reading in a class on Critical Thinking that I had to take in college -- it is excellent...

It outlines how a cold reading works...

[url="http://www.skepdic.com/Hyman_cold_reading.htm"]http://www.skepdic.c...old_reading.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Sherlock Holmes style. :smokey:

MarysLittleFlower

Jazzytakara,
I'm glad that you didn't go to see the psychic. I strongly advise against this... here's the relevant part from the Catechism..
[indent]Divination and magic

[u]2115[/u] God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

[u]2116[/u] All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

[u]2117[/u] All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.[/indent]