An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your Top 5?

Papist

Monk & Psych are great. I always thought sit-cons were 30 minutes long, but Monk & Psych are the most sit-com like hour-long shows.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352494627' post='2507338']
It is the 2nd to last season.
[/quote]

Is that so? I looked it up on the internet to see if it was the last season and found that the producers of the show said it was.

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352494627' post='2507338']
Really? A few naughty words is what makes this show inappropriate? Have you ever even watched Dexter? :lol:
[/quote]

I've watched it since the begining, Debra is a potty mouth but I found it funny. Especially this season when she was in the elevator cussing up a storm, then when she got to her floor and the elevator opened she walked out completely normal.

Anyway, I didn't recall her saying an inappropriate word with the Lord's name before or after it. This season I've heard it quite a few times and it makes me gasp.

No, her cussing doesn't make the show inappropriate, a whole lot of other things do but it's my poison. I'm into the dark and twisted. I hope I don't go to hell for it, I've really cut back!

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1352601831' post='2507976']

Is that so? I looked it up on the internet to see if it was the last season and found that the producers of the show said it was.

[/quote]
Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true. Ipso facto

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352606463' post='2508012']
Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true. Ipso facto
[/quote]

I'm curious, what made you think it was not the last season?

cmotherofpirl

Can't do it in 5...

All in the Family
MASH
Frazier
Northern Exposure
The Muppet Show
Yes Prime Minister
Monty Python
Reno 911
Portlandia
Soap.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1352691223' post='2508423']
Dallas hasn't aired in years, dummy.
[/quote]

If by "years" you means "months", you are correct.

http://www.dallastnt.com/

Gosh, people, in all the time you spend watching 5 sitcoms, you could be praying! ;-)

That's easy for me to say. I'm not a big fan of tv. Though, if I had prayed all those hours I spent surfing youtube, purgatory could be empty by now!

I personally prefer not to watch television shows which normalize mortal sin, such as fornication. That basically rules out every modern day sitcom. I highly recommend the Vatican II council document: [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/pccs/documents/rc_pc_pccs_doc_04121963_inter-mirifica_en.html"]Inter Mirifica[/url]:

[b]9.[/b] Those who receive the means of social commmunication-readers, viewers, audiences-do so of their own free choice. Special obligations rest on them in consequence. A properly motivated selectivity would be wholly in favor of whatever excels in virtue, culture and art. Likewise,[b] it would avoid whatever might be a cause or occasion of spiritual harm to the recipients or might be a source of danger to others through bad example;[/b] it would avoid whatever might hinder the comunication of the good and facilitate the communication of what is evil. This last usually occurs when financial help is given to those who exploit the media solely for profit.

This council document is telling the faithful that we should avoid viewing media that not only may be spiritually harmful to ourselves, but to others. This is fully found in media that normalizes, or makes normal, mortal sin. To glorify, make fun of, or glamorize gravely sinful acts in the media is harmful to the souls of those who watch it, especially children. By the teaching of the documents of Vatican II, we have a moral obligation to avoid these forms of media. Unfortunately, this rules out just about every prime time show on television these days.

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1352404735' post='2506622']

Ya. Not sitcom enough?
[/quote]
Wouldn't have thought so.