An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tip Your Pizza Hut Driver Or He Might Pee On Your Door

OnlySunshine

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/05/tip-your-pizza-hut-driver-or-he-might-pee-on-your-door/

[quote]
An Iowa Pizza Hut delivery driver is without a job today because he decided that the best way to vent is anger about being stiffed on a tip was to urinate on the customer’s door.

A few hours after ordering a pizza without properly tipping the driver, the customer noticed a familiar fluid decorating the outside of her apartment.
“I was like ‘Hmmm who was at my door that might be upset with me’ and it kind of hit me that it was the pizza delivery guy,” she [url="http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Updated-Pizza-delivery-man-urinates-on-woman-s-door/-/9357080/17248732/-/j2unpoz/-/index.html?source=kcci"]tells KCCI-TV[/url].

Watching the video with reporters, the apartment manager describes the events:

“So he’s giving her the pizza and he starts to leave… Sets down his pizza bag and he walks back up and you see him there doing his duty… And then he turns around to exit again you’ll see his pantaloons are undone and he’s just tucking his shirt back in and zipping up.”

It was the manager who called Pizza Hut. The restaurant’s manager actually came over to watch the video to confirm the malfeasance.
The driver has since been fired and he even later came by the apartment to clean up his mess.

“If you’re going to be really upset about things like that then maybe you shouldn’t be a pizza delivery driver at all,” said the customer.

Though we doubt anyone would defend the driver’s decision to urinate on the door, some might say the customer should not have ordered a pizza delivery knowing she couldn’t afford a tip.
[/quote]

Yuck. :x

while the urination is a bit gross, I am much more offended by the customer. I am of the opinion that failing to tip people that you have do service for you, when their payments are based on tips, constitutes depriving workers of their just wages and is therefore a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. the driver forgot that vengeance belongs to God and that peeing on someone's door is a stupid and gross form of vengeance anyway, but that quote from the customer at the end is a disgusting and immoral attitude, the driver had every right to be upset (just not to pee on the door lol).

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1352371034' post='2506474']
I am of the opinion that failing to tip people that you have do service for you, when their payments are based on tips, constitutes depriving workers of their just wages and is therefore a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance.
[/quote]
I think this might be a bit of a stretch, although I'm sure this is not colored by your personal experience :stubborn:

dominicansoul

that's disgusting... i wonder if he washed his hands in antibacterial hand sanitizer before delivering the next pizza! :x

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352386559' post='2506530']
I think this might be a bit of a stretch, although I'm sure this is not colored by your personal experience :stubborn:
[/quote]
There are many in food service who are paid below minimum wage because it is expected they will make up for it in tips. The pizza delivery guys at my local pizza hut in Kansas were paid a little above $2 a hour.

haha yeah it is of course colored by my personal experience, but I absolutely think it's true, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say it.

when you use the services of someone who is paid on the basis of tips, then you are in effect hiring that person to do a service for you. if you do not tip them, you are depriving them of a just wage. you. it is absolutely a sin, and depriving workers of their wages is [b]one of the four sins that cry out to heaven for vengeance[/b]. I know it might seem trivial to you that not tipping would call to heaven for vengeance, but labor is a fundamental human thing. if you hire someone to do something for you and you refuse to pay them justly for that, you are committing one of the worst possible sins you can commit.

giving a low tip is one thing, because what exactly a good tip is can be up for debate and there is certainly the idea of tipping based on how good the service is, so if the service is bad you might give a bad tip in reaction to that, how badly you feel you can morally tip someone is up to you and your conscience but I think so long as you have actually received some service you must remunerate for that service in some basic manner, but giving no tip at all if someone actually does a service for you like deliver a pizza or wait on you at a restaurant (and they are being paid a wage that is based on the assumption that you will tip them), you are absolutely depriving a worker of their wages. tell me in what way is that not accurate? they did a service for you, in doing that service they expected to be paid some tip for you, so long as you don't live under a rock you KNEW that they were doing that service for you expecting a tip, their wages are based upon what you tip them, and in fact they are TAXED based on the assumption that you tipped them at least 8% no matter what you end up giving them (according to the IRS/tax code), I can't see any way to deny that this is substantially [b]depriving a worker of their wages[/b], [b]one of the four sins that cries to heaven for vengeance.[/b]

Wages for waiters delivery drivers etc vary greatly. My understanding in my city is that all our delivery folks and waiters get paid minimum wage as well as whatever tips they make.

You are assuming that the tipping or lack their of is actually depriving a worker of a just wage. It is part of the industry they work in. The net wages of an employee earning tips is what determines just wages, not my individual tip or lacktheirof because service was, excellent, average, poor, or non existant.

Waiters in my city often come home with $200 in tips on a 4-6 hour shift. That's $30-50 an hour pre-tax, assuming of course they claim their tips on taxes...

This news story reminded me of what Dwight said on "The Office":

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDo6luc_lMY[/media]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1352371034' post='2506474']
while the urination is a bit gross, I am much more offended by the customer. I am of the opinion that failing to tip people that you have do service for you, when their payments are based on tips, constitutes depriving workers of their just wages and is therefore a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. the driver forgot that vengeance belongs to God and that peeing on someone's door is a stupid and gross form of vengeance anyway, but that quote from the customer at the end is a disgusting and immoral attitude, the driver had every right to be upset (just not to pee on the door lol).
[/quote]

You really need to come to my dad's business and let me serve you. I never get tips. But as soon as my sister comes in with her pretty face and figure she gets twenty to thirty dollars in tips (Which is huge here. People don't tip more than a dollar).

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1352410554' post='2506657']
Wages for waiters delivery drivers etc vary greatly. My understanding in my city is that all our delivery folks and waiters get paid minimum wage as well as whatever tips they make.

You are assuming that the tipping or lack their of is actually depriving a worker of a just wage. It is part of the industry they work in. The net wages of an employee earning tips is what determines just wages, not my individual tip or lacktheirof because service was, excellent, average, poor, or non existant.

Waiters in my city often come home with $200 in tips on a 4-6 hour shift. That's $30-50 an hour pre-tax, assuming of course they claim their tips on taxes...
[/quote]
I am only talking about those who are paid on the assumption that they will make tips. Anyone who is paid enough otherwise (ie, in Europe tipping is not expected because wages are not based on the assumption of tips, so this is not a valid point here) doesn't count.

Whether other people make up for your lack of tipping or not doesn't matter. That just means other people are being extra generous in tipping for the service that they received. You are expected to tip for the particular service that the waiter gives to you. You are depriving a worker of the just wage for the service that they gave to you if you refuse to tip them. The amount that they make in the end doesn't justify anyone's lack of tipping.

Say someone had 2 jobs, and one employer paid $50/hour... does that mean that the other employer can pay nothing on the basis that it all averages out to $25/hour? no, the employer who doesn't pay is depriving a worker of their just wages. Yes, that worker made a lot of money doing something else for someone else, but you didn't give them anything for the thing they did for you expecting to be paid for it.

Same thing applies to waiters or delivery drivers. I worked as a waiter; sometimes I would have some really generous person leave like $10 on a ~$20 check. Did that mean I was any less upset if the next person stiffed me? No, because the person who left the $10 intended to be extra generous, so I evaluated that person's tip as solely from that person... I didn't say "well it's just like I made $5 from each table", that would be totally unfair to the guy who wanted to be generous and leave me a 10. no, the person who stiffed me was refusing to pay me for my service, what I ended up averaging that night doesn't matter for that particular case, the individual customer who stiffed me simply did not pay me any wages for my service to him, and that is totally depriving a worker of their just wages IMO.

Edited by Aloysius

A waiter or delivery person is not a contracted worker of the individual he is serving, but an employee of the business he works for. [b]It isn't my responsibility as a patron of the business to ensure that the employee is being paid a just wage, it is the responsibility of the business employing the individual[/b]. The business could have a minimum gratuity of X% on all delivery orders, or a restaraunt a mandatory X% gratuity on all dine in orders - this is often seen for parties of 6 or larger in restaraunts.

If I owned a restaraunt I would probably include a 10% mandatory gratuity on all checks with a note on the check and in the menu that 10% is mandatory and to please tip above and beyond that if you feel the service provided justifies a higher tip. Or I would pay a just living wage and all tips would be turned into the business. A % comission/bonus would go back to the waiter to account for the service the waiter provided. That businesses do that is no fault or problem of the patron. Europe has it right in that regard. Charge for the services provided, pay your waiters just wages, and any tips can be provided for [u]exemplary service [/u]at the whim of the patron.

In some of the more upper class restaurants that you could go to a tip is required, but for most a tip is simply a way of saying that they did a good job. Maybe he was late and that's why she didn't tip him and then maybe he really had to go bad so he just went on her door? When you really gotta go, you really gotta go.

Lesson of this story, tip the pizza delevery guy!

PhuturePriest

I remember once at a restaurant when I was fourteen I gave the waitress a tip. Except I was nervous, so I didn't leave it on the table, I literally gave it to her. I realized later she probably felt like a stripper.