An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just For Fun, What Order Do I Fit With?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

So being generally bored tonight I decide to take an online survey on which Religious orders I am suited for ( I am fairly certain diocesan life is for me).

I had three orders that according to this particular survey I match 96% with I thought I would share.

Victorian...this one actually surprised me a little.
Missionaries of the Precious Blood ( C.PP.S)
Jesuits

I find it an interesting mix too. :)

AccountDeleted

The don't recommend many communities that aren't listed with them, and they never seem to mention international communities. I tried to put in a hypothethetical 'ideal' candidate but got a list of communities that didn't seem to match the criteria set down. Interesting but I wouldn't rely on it 100% for a vocation. God has His own plans.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352463638' post='2507097']
The don't recommend many communities that aren't listed with them, and they never seem to mention international communities. I tried to put in a hypothethetical 'ideal' candidate but got a list of communities that didn't seem to match the criteria set down. Interesting but I wouldn't rely on it 100% for a vocation. God has His own plans.
[/quote]

I totally agree, I think a survey questionnaire might be usefull to give someone a starting place in discernment, but to think a computer can lock down God's plan for us is either arrogant that we think we understands God that much, or just plain ignorant in general.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352463638' post='2507097']
[/quote]

I completely agree. I just did the survey a few days ago because I was curious to see which orders would come up and practically none of them ever appealed to me. I think there might have been one -- Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis -- but that was it.

I took that in the early days of my discernment and many solid communities and Orders don't seem to be listed-the Poor Clares being one of them. I am only sure about this because, like nunsense, I put in the ideal Poor Clare discerner a few months ago just for fun. Nothing.

It IS fun though! And it can help you narrow down what you are looking for in a community. I remember it asked some questons where I was like, "I had not ever thought about that." For example, the size of the community. I had thought very briefly about that (not too big and not too small) but when it brought up actual numbers, it made me think more concretely about it.

carmenchristi

Now they are going to send you constant emails and have all kinds of religious orders start emailing you. I finally told them that thank you but I am no longer discerning religious life.

PhuturePriest

I don't like VISION that much. They don't have many Communities, and whenever I put write down that I was still in high school, all of the Communities disappeared except one or two. If I put in that I graduated high school all of the Communities stayed. Whether I'm in high school or not does not change my compatibility with Communities.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1352485507' post='2507257']
Now they are going to send you constant emails and have all kinds of religious orders start emailing you. I finally told them that thank you but I am no longer discerning religious life.
[/quote]

Well silly girl! I always use a fake name and an email account that I set up for things like this. Often one has to register online for things and I think that is an invasion of privacy so I set up a gmail account for spam like this, and I always use a fake name and address and phone number! This works very well. And you can always delte the email account and open a new one too!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352505507' post='2507441']

Well silly girl! I always use a fake name and an email account that I set up for things like this. Often one has to register online for things and I think that is an invasion of privacy so I set up a gmail account for spam like this, and I always use a fake name and address and phone number! This works very well. And you can always delte the email account and open a new one too!
[/quote]

That's a very good idea! I use a disposable email address through Yahoo that is connected to my main account so I don't have to sign in a separate email account just to read them. That way, if I want the emails to stop, all I have to do is erase the email account and start a new one. I also use a fake phone number, as well. I use the Rejection Hotline at (212) 660-2245. :hehe:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352488341' post='2507272']
I don't like VISION that much. They don't have many Communities, and whenever I put write down that I was still in high school, all of the Communities disappeared except one or two. If I put in that I graduated high school all of the Communities stayed. Whether I'm in high school or not does not change my compatibility with Communities.
[/quote]

well it does a little bit - a lot of orders want you to have a high school diploma before you start discernment. They probably have a good reason for this (they've seen a lot of very young people start the process and then realize they aren't called). Annoying but I'm sure they are going off experience.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1352506559' post='2507453']
well it does a little bit - a lot of orders want you to have a high school diploma before you start discernment. They probably have a good reason for this (they've seen a lot of very young people start the process and then realize they aren't called). Annoying but I'm sure they are going off experience.
[/quote]

Hogwash. Starting discernment early is good. That's why there are programs for young people to discern like diocesan trips to the seminary for ages twelve through fourteen and there are Communities like the Franciscan Brothers Minor that let young boys work with them all day to get a sense of what it is like.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352508449' post='2507485']

Hogwash. Starting discernment early is good. That's why there are programs for young people to discern like diocesan trips to the seminary for ages twelve through fourteen and there are Communities like the Franciscan Brothers Minor that let young boys work with them all day to get a sense of what it is like.
[/quote]

While early discernment IS good, there are some communities out there who want you to not only have your high school diploma but a college education as well. It's not hogwash for the Vision Network to fiddler those communities out if you don't meet their criteria. They usually fiddler to what you are doing in the present -- not what you will have in the future. I know of several communities of Sisters -- including the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal -- who ask you to wait. A college education is not required for the CFRs, but they want their candidates to have some life experience before entering. It's not a bad idea at all to get in contact with a community you are interested in while you are finishing up the requirements but, unless yours was an extraordinary case, they will not let you enter until you meet them all. ;)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352509350' post='2507492']

While early discernment IS good, there are some communities out there who want you to not only have your high school diploma but a college education as well. It's not hogwash for the Vision Network to fiddler those communities out if you don't meet their criteria. They usually fiddler to what you are doing in the present -- not what you will have in the future. I know of several communities of Sisters -- including the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal -- who ask you to wait. A college education is not required for the CFRs, but they want their candidates to have some life experience before entering. It's not a bad idea at all to get in contact with a community you are interested in while you are finishing up the requirements but, unless yours was an extraordinary case, they will not let you enter until you meet them all. ;)
[/quote]

Oh, I'm not saying it's [i]bad[/i] to finish high school or go to college. I'm saying it's a compatibility test, and compatibility goes beyond whether or not you meet requirements that you can easily meet or are meeting at the moment. That's what my problem with it is.