An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan University

Annie12

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1352507603' post='2507474']
Quite frankly on campus jobs smell of elderberries when it comes to earning money. They may be easy and some you can even study during (computer lab for instance), but you're making less than $8 an hour at [b]maybe 20 hrs [/b]a week max.[b] i think some of the job's paid like $6.00[/b]. After taxes it's like $8,000-$10,000 for 20hrs a week your entire college career assuming you graduate in 4 years. It's much more effective to simply take 18 credit hours rather than 15 every semester and graduate a semester or two early. An additional 3 credits is certainly less than 20 hrs a week worth of studying and class time.
[/quote]

The bolded statement isn't true anymore. Minimum wage in Ohio is 7.70, so all campus jobs pay at least that now. I would agree with the graduating early advice, although if someone were to come in after next semester that would be nearly impossible, they recently voted to double the core requirements. Also, 20 hours is the maximum you can work a campus job, however if you work for Sodexo (the dining services) you can get around that.

I'm (fortunately/unfortunately?) eligible for tons of aid due to my family situation, and I'm currently receiving the maximum federal and state aid (not including loans, I'm trying to avoid these as much as possible), maxiumum institutional aid (I'm receiving the maximum academic and financial aid they give) I have three additional scholarships (two from the school, and one from outside) and I'm an RA. Total cost for this year for me will be somewhere around $5,000 I think, but I had to really work the system to get it to that. One thing I will mention that hasn't been mentioned yet is the returning student scholarships. Although these won't apply to you until you've already spent a year here, there are almost 100 named scholarships which the university offers to returning students. Typically they have pretty specific qualifications, but I don't doubt that you'd be able to find several that you could apply for after you've spent some time here. Between those and different scholarships that I've applied for from outside sources, I've been able to keep the bill really reasonable so far.

Edited by Amppax

Addendum to the last post, I took 19 credit hours last semester and worked about 12 hours a week. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone unless they were extremely disciplined, it was a really hard semester. Then again, I'm doing something pretty similar now. Frankly, the only way to make this school affordable is to be really poor, so that you can get a lot of aid, and really academically accomplished, so you can get a lot of scholarship. And after that, work your tail off while you're here. Otherwise, it's pretty expensive, although I would argue not much more so than any private school.

Edited by Amppax

Well I'm thankful for everyone's responses. I need to pray about this more. Currently I am paying $30,000 a year for the school I am attending. It makes me queasy to think of this. But, it's reality! But, I only am thinking of transferring because I feel like God may be calling me to FUS. I'm not 100% sure so I will pray about it some more. But, if Gods wills it, it will all work out!

[quote]"Be still and know that I am God..." Psalm 46:10 [/quote]

LaPetiteSoeur

Definitely talk about it with your parents. I thought about going to CUA or a Jesuit university....but I didn't even apply because even WITH scholarships I'd still have to take out loans. When I applied to schools, I had been discerning religious life and though even just in case, I shouldn't take out loans. I applied to two state public schools (both flagships) and was accepted to both with scholarships. My university has a fantastic Catholic student center, with retreats, programs, daily Mass twice a day, five Sunday Masses, spiritual direction, etc. It also has a great French and Education school (so even better for me!).

Even though I don't go to a Catholic school, my faith hasn't really suffered. In fact, it's gotten stronger because I've been forced to literally question everything I believe. Catholic universities are great (and I"ll be studying at a the Catholic Institute of Paris next semester), but they are so expensive.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1352566467' post='2507773']
It currently costs about 29,000 to go the FUS, but they offer some academic scholarships..... I know I am eligible for 10,000 because I am "so smart" but even still it is a ton of money. And when you are discerning, you don't want it to take a million years to pay off debt...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apUnAIIaMI[/media]

I find this video hysterical.... :P
[/quote]
This video is def. whiter than my state.

Edited by Light and Truth

Basilisa Marie

I was in the audience for that. :)

FUS is a great place! Most of my friends who go there love it. :) But like others have said, make sure you explore your options. It seems to me that a lot of people idealize Franciscan, because it can be such a powerhouse for good ministry. If your reasons for transferring are monetary, I wouldn't choose FUS. If you would end up spending a similar amount of money and are just looking for a different kind of college experience, then it might be a good decision to make. :)

look...i'm going to college [i]again. [/i]right now i am considered an 'out-of-state' student at the community college i'm at. it's [i]still[/i] less than the state school i finished as an 'in-state' student 3+ years ago.

Yeah, I'm starting to really think God is telling me to go to Franciscan. Even stranger, I want to do the sacred music program but I think God is leading me to the Catachetics program...

How traditional is FUS? I'm more of a traditional Catholic who values the Latin Mass and all that jazz... Is everyone there Charismatic?

Edited by Annie12

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1352647536' post='2508114']
I was in the audience for that. :)

FUS is a great place! Most of my friends who go there love it. :) But like others have said, make sure you explore your options. It seems to me that a lot of people idealize Franciscan, because it can be such a powerhouse for good ministry. If your reasons for transferring are monetary, I wouldn't choose FUS. If you would end up spending a similar amount of money and are just looking for a different kind of college experience, then it might be a good decision to make. :)
[/quote]

I was too. Although that wasn't even close to the best performance of the night in my opinion.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1352661115' post='2508162']
Yeah, I'm starting to really think God is telling me to go to Franciscan. Even stranger, I want to do the sacred music program but I think God is leading me to the Catachetics program...

How traditional is FUS? I'm more of a traditional Catholic who values the Latin Mass and all that jazz... Is everyone there Charismatic?
[/quote]

Is everyone Charismatic? Not at all. There's Latin Mass fairly frequently on campus, and if you don't like Masses on campus, St. Peter's downtown is a wonderful parish. They don't do Latin Masses, but their as traditional as you get short of that.

I would not go to Franciscan unless:

1. I know I will not want a graduate degree

or ....

2. I am definitely going to work for the Church and/or going to be a nurse

or ...

3. My family has money, or I have money

The academics are meh, the brand is actually kind of terrible outside of Church circles and the community life is amesome. Its a great 4 years but then you leave at 21 and likely have to take a long, long ride on the struggle bus.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1352662091' post='2508171']

or ....

or ...

The academics are meh, the brand is actually kind of terrible outside of Church circles and the community life is amesome. Its a great 4 years but then you leave at 21 and likely have to take a long, long ride on the struggle bus.
[/quote]
This basically mean that FUS is for me! lol!

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1352661523' post='2508167']

Is everyone Charismatic? Not at all. There's Latin Mass fairly frequently on campus, and if you don't like Masses on campus, St. Peter's downtown is a wonderful parish. They don't do Latin Masses, but their as traditional as you get short of that.
[/quote]
I am trying to remember which parish we attended Mass at this summer. I am pretty sure it was St. Peter's. I am looking at a picture now, and recognize the rather distinctive painting on the east end.
It was certainly the most traditionally celebrated Novus Ordo that I have ever attended.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1352662091' post='2508171']

or ....

or ...

[/quote]

Not necessarily true. I only hit one of those points, in that my goal is to get a PhD in Theology. I have plenty of friends that have gone on to do grad work, at a number of different places. I will agree that the academics aren't the best, it really depends on the major though, some are good. Ask me again about this in a year though, I haven't started applying for grad school.

Edited by Amppax