An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan University

Annie12

Hey Guys!!! SO! Anyone who goes or wants to go to the above mentioned school should tell me all they know about it because I am thinking of transferring there. Thanks for any info!

i<3franciscans

*gasp* TRANSFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

If money works out I will be going there next year, if it doesn't I will go to community college and transfer in a year or two. :)

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1352497116' post='2507373']

If money works out I will be going there next year, if it doesn't I will go to community college and transfer in a year or two. :)
[/quote]
community college first....college debt isn't worth it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1352497116' post='2507373']

[/quote]

Either go to Community college first or do what my sister did and get your bachelor's degree in three years instead of four. Going to community college is definitely easier, trust me. My sister did an unbelievable amount of credit hours her last year so she could graduate. She barely had time to eat and sleep. On top of that, community colleges are reliably easier, so it is a good transition into a major university.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Franciscan University of Steubenville rarely gives out anything financially aid wise apart from loans, so be prepared for a lot of debt.

They celebrate the traditional Mass there now sometimes, so it cannot be [i]all[/i] bad. ;)

Edited by Nihil Obstat

The #1 most critical thing you must do is sit down with your parents and the schedule of tuition, fees, and room and board. It isn't fun but after you graduate you will be SO GLAD you did.

The costs to attend college are huge and for a private institution it gets extremely expensive. Currently I believe it's $26,000 a year for FSU. It's not unusual for people to leave Franciscan with six figures of debt. Often Franciscan grads marry other Franciscan grads, thereby doubling their debt load.

When in some cases you add in a theology or philosophy degree which is not in high demand, it can be a bad situation. Sadly even between two pious Catholics, this can be a recipe for divorce. Remember that even if it doesn't affect your vocation directly, debt you pile up for any reason (education, cars, credit cards) will affect your lifestyle, whether you are able to stay home with your kids, homeschool them, or send them to private school. If your debt is too high you will not be able to do any of these things.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to a private school (you might go to one already is that right?), but it does mean you must have a concrete plan for how the money is going to work. Therese is correct that FSU hardly does any financial aid, other than offering you loans. You need to start by calculating what your monthly payment will likely be. There are many calculators online for this. Just google "what will my monthly payment be on student loans"

the combined total of my wife and my debt after graduating from FUS was enourmous, and my wife recieved a lot of financial aid both from a private donor and pell grants and by working as an RA (not "aid" per se but saved tons of money).

It dictated how quickly we had kids, what type of place we could buy, what kind of car we drive, pretty much everything with our lifestyle. After 3 years we've miraculously paid down more than half of our debt, but it sure as heck hasn't been easy or fun. There's a lot of sacrifices to be made. If I went to my local university for 2 years rather than one, we'd be nearly out of debt already.

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1352506698' post='2507454']
Just saying, they also offer on-campus jobs, which might be something to take into account.
[/quote]

Quite frankly on campus jobs smell of elderberries when it comes to earning money. They may be easy and some you can even study during (computer lab for instance), but you're making less than $8 an hour at [b]maybe 20 hrs [/b]a week max. i think some of the job's paid like $6.00. After taxes it's like $8,000-$10,000 for 20hrs a week your entire college career assuming you graduate in 4 years. It's much more effective to simply take 18 credit hours rather than 15 every semester and graduate a semester or two early. An additional 3 credits is certainly less than 20 hrs a week worth of studying and class time.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1352507603' post='2507474']

Quite frankly on campus jobs smell of elderberries when it comes to earning money. They may be easy and some you can even study during (computer lab for instance), but you're making less than $8 an hour at [b]maybe 20 hrs [/b]a week max. i think some of the job's paid like $6.00. After taxes it's like $8,000-$10,000 for 20hrs a week your entire college career assuming you graduate in 4 years. It's much more effective to simply take 18 credit hours rather than 15 every semester and graduate a semester or two early. An additional 3 credits is certainly less than 20 hrs a week worth of studying and class time.
[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352513250' post='2507527']The downside is that it is in Ohio.
[/quote]
Ohio is where the see of Bishop John Kudrick is located. I'll thank you to take that back.

i<3franciscans

It currently costs about 29,000 to go the FUS, but they offer some academic scholarships..... I know I am eligible for 10,000 because I am "so smart" but even still it is a ton of money. And when you are discerning, you don't want it to take a million years to pay off debt...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apUnAIIaMI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apUnAIIaMI[/url]

I find this video hysterical.... :P

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352498860' post='2507393']
They celebrate the traditional Mass there now sometimes, so it cannot be [i]all[/i] bad. ;)
[/quote]

Low Mass every other Saturday, Missa Cantata once a month on Sunday, and we recently had a solemn High Mass on the feast of Christ the King.