An Old School Catholic Message Board

Darn Ya Women "priests"

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

I try not to block anyone unless they are harassing me (name calling, cussing, picking on others, etc.), but I finally did block her today. (And why do you keep propping your posts?)

If the "Rules of the Internet" had been written by anyone besides neckbeard sociopaths, then rule #1 would be "do not take anything on the internet seriously".
Rule #2 would be "the internet is srs business", because the internet is full of contradictions. That is probably #3.

Her arguments are weak. The articles and encyclicals above are your best response. There's nothing you will be able to say that will change her mind. I would simply respond back that you see her points. Ask/invite her to read the encyclicals listed by Nihil. And then follow up the next with the articles Red listed. You could add that you hope these help. I would read them yourself too. I have a rule to not give someone something to read if I have not read it.

There is a good chance she will respond back dismissing the encyclicals that they are written my men. If she would dismiss everything written/taught by men, then she would dismiss Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. And ironically, it would be men that would change Church's doctrine on the all men priesthood.

Here's something to reflect on. The priest is [i]in persona Christi[/i], yes? Yes, of course. So then, a woman priest being [i]in persona Christi[/i] would not go with the Church being the bridegroom of Christ as St. Paul says in his Letter to the Ephesians. In fact, it would contradict it and symbolize a lesbian relationship.

Basilisa Marie

It seems to me that the person you're quoting is someone who is struggling with this aspect of the faith, and is genuinely trying to get it to make sense. Her objections are reasonable, and are presented in a way that is respectful, charitable, and contextualizes them within the faith - she's not just making things up. She's at least presenting her objections in a way that makes it seem like she's trying to understand.

No matter what you say in response, you have to respond with the same tone. You can't just dismiss her objections with a blanket "don't worry about it because we're supposed to be saints not priests" type of statement with an aggressive tone. Either engage her charitably (read: KINDLY) on your own, or link to articles that do the same. No one EVER gets converted when you just dismiss their concerns. "Happy and sweet" tones are what we need to convince people. But if you think she's a troll, just ignore her, or link to articles without engaging.

KnightofChrist

Idk how much this could help now that you've blocked her. But it will likely happen again. So I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you to be strong and aggressive without being rude. And I am not saying you were rude. Didn't see your response. Still you can be strong and still be a good Christian and still convert souls.

It will be prayer and the Holy Spirit that will really do anything. You can present teh best arguments, quote all the right encyclicals and Church fathers, but even in Christ's day not everyone listened to Him when He was right there talking to them. We offer what we can in terms of words and especially prayers then let God deal with them.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1352734894' post='2508594']
It will be prayer and the Holy Spirit that will really do anything. You can present teh best arguments, quote all the right encyclicals and Church fathers, but even in Christ's day not everyone listened to Him when He was right there talking to them. We offer what we can in terms of words and especially prayers then let God deal with them.
[/quote]
Yes. Pray that the Holy Spirit gives you the words to say and the opportunity to say them.