An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Met An "old Catholic" Yesterday.

BigJon16

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352905287' post='2509833']
Does anyone recall when Humanae Vitae came out? Many Catholic "theologians" bought a full page in the New York Times just to advertise/announce they reject the Pope's encyclical. The thing is that they could have not have read it prior to taking the ad in the paper. All they were going on was leaks and rumors. Everyone was anticipating the Pope changing Church teaching contraception.
[/quote]

I can see why some people would think it was a fairly reasonable assumption to make, as oral contraceptives were a new thing and there was no physical "barrier" involved, and seeing as his advisory council on it decided in favor of some form of contraception for married couples.

It came out on July 25, 1968.

Here's the timeline from Wikipedia:

[quote][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]With the appearance of the [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_oral_contraceptive_pill"]first oral contraceptives[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] in 1960, dissenters in the Church argued for a reconsideration of the Church positions. In 1963 [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XXIII"]Pope John XXIII[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] established a commission of six European non-theologians to study questions of birth control and population.[/size][/font][/color][sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_Vitae#cite_note-shannon-19"][19][/url][/sup][sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_Vitae#cite_note-mcclory-20"][20][/url][/sup][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] The commission that Pope John XXIII formed to study population problems as well as acceptable methods of birth control met once in 1963 and twice in 1964. As Vatican Council II was concluding, Pope Paul VI enlarged it to fifty-eight members, including married couples, laywomen, as well as theologians and bishops. The last document issued by the council (Gaudium et spes) contained a very important section titled "Fostering the Nobility of Marriage" (1965, nos. 47-52), which discusses marriage from the personalist point of view. The "duty of responsible parenthood" was affirmed, but the determination of licit and illicit forms of regulating birth was reserved to Pope Paul VI. After the close of the council a fifth and final meeting of the commission was held, again enlarged to include sixteen bishops as an executive committee, in Rome in the spring of 1966. The commission was only consultative but did make a report to Paul VI approved by a majority of members, proposing that he might use his authority to approve at least some form of contraception for married couples. A minority number of members opposed this report and issued a parallel report to the Pope. After two more years of study and consultation, the pope issued [/size][/font][/color][i]Humanae Vitae[/i][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3], which removed any doubt that hormonal anti-ovulants are contraceptive. [/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1352908591' post='2509847']

I can see why some people would think it was a fairly reasonable assumption to make, as oral contraceptives were a new thing and there was no physical "barrier" involved, and seeing as his advisory council on it decided in favor of some form of contraception for married couples.

It came out on July 25, 1968.

Here's the timeline from Wikipedia:
[/quote]
Also, the media did not help matters.

There seems to be some confusion of terms. "Old Catholics" split after Vatican I. They are all over the place in terms of their beliefs these days, I think they're even the ones responsible for "ordaining" Sinead O'Connor.

Traditionalists are the ones that have problems with Vatican II; they accept the authority of the papacy, though some of them (sedevacantists) don't believe the seat of the Papacy is currently occupied. But SSPX types do accept that Pope Benedict XVI is the pope (at least the priests of the society have to recognize this or they get kicked out, the laity will vary as it does anywhere), and they vary as to their degree of problems with Vatican II. I kind of suspect the OP met someone more like this, some type of sedevacantist or SSPXer, not an "Old Catholic", just based on the description. Old Catholics are not generally very traditional, they are outright heretics (whereas Traditionalists vary and even the ones that oppose Vatican II cannot be easily painted with the term "heretic") in denying doctrine explicitly.

Edited by Aloysius

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1352935229' post='2510081']
A lot of old catholics attend the 4PM Mass on Saturday. I think maybe they go out for coffee afterwards.
[/quote]
I have you beat. My grandparents' retirement home is owned and operated by the Knights of Columbus.