An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fellow Usaers: What Are You Doing For Thanksgiving?

Mary+Immaculate<3

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Mary+Immaculate<3' timestamp='1353471969' post='2514037']
How'd that happen? XD
Does he like cooking?
[/quote]

My Dad started cooking Thanksgiving & Christmas meals when my mom worked nights when we were little - even after she switched to the day shift, he kept up the tradition he'd started, until he died. My fantastic husband decided that was something that he would like to carry on in our own family. So, I do the prep-work the day before and write everything out, then he kicks me out of the kitchen the day of the holiday. :)

Mary+Immaculate<3

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1353472838' post='2514046']
then he kicks me out of the kitchen the day of the holiday. :)
[/quote]

Making you do all the dirty work eh? ;)

My mom and I are going to visit my sister and having dinner with the my sister's boyfriends family. Fun times and who knows what the menu will be.

I bought an 11 pound spiral cut ham, some scalloped potatoes, sweet carrots and green beans and got a dutch apple crumb pie for dessert and of course a 24 pack of Coke.

Now I have to get something for the rest of teh family.

ed

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Traveling to San Antonio to see family and of course eat our brains out until a food coma occurs. My family kinda likes to go all out for the holidays.

Then we make Tamales the day after :bounce:

To Jesus Through Mary

Well my house has become a collection for people who have no where to go. It is great. I am the main cook- I will start cooking today! Mass in the morning and some of my friends are going to the Macy's parade. Then we will have Vespers together then the meal in the evening! Probably followed by a few beers and cards/board games!

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353464933' post='2513986']
Drinking myself into oblivion early in the day.
[/quote]
I'm going to Winchester's.

after that, I'll drop by my brother's house to eat.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1353479759' post='2514111']
Traveling to San Antonio to see family and of course[b] eat our brains out [/b]until a food coma occurs. My family kinda likes to go all out for the holidays.

Then we make Tamales the day after :bounce:
[/quote]

You have weird holiday foods.

dominicansoul

[list]
[*]Mass early at 7 a.m. out of town (man, will I be waking up eaaaaarrrrrrly)
[*]visit my mom's grave
[*]Get back to the house and throw my dog Leia a huge hambone (her annual Thanksgiving treat)
[*]Leave with dad in tow to my brother's, spend the rest of the day at his compound, with his 10 kids and the rest of my siblings and their families
[*]WATCH THE TEXANS BEAT THE LIONS
[*]eat traditional thanksgiving food, smoke my annual thanksgiving cigar and sip some scotch
[*]WATCH WHOEVER THE COWGIRLS ARE PLAYING BEAT THE COWGIRLS lol
[*]play flag football, volleyball, soccer whatever the family is in the mood for----i'll probably be on the sidelines cheering (bad back problems this year..)
[*]watch a movie
[*]by this time my dad will have been sleeping for a while, wake him up and take him home
[*]fall into the Thanksgiving coma and not wake up until late Friday afternoon... no "Black Friday" shopping for me, blech!
[/list]

Edited by dominicansoul

Basilisa Marie

[list]
[*]Flew home to Washington State. YAY!
[*]Mass at 8:30, which will include a "bread exchange" (all the families bring some kind of bread item, Father blesses them all, and then we take home a different bread item - in a way it's like the whole parish celebrating together!). <-- Don't worry, this is separate from all Eucharistic activities, lol. :hehe2:
[*]Traditional foods, including homemade pumpkin pie (crust, filling from frozen pumpkin guts from Halloween, everything). I might make my special death by chocolate cake, if my mom lets me in the kitchen long enough. :)
[*]Eat ALL the food.
[*]Watch ALL the football.
[*]Clean ALL the dishes
[*]sleep. :)
[/list]

Edited by Basilisa Marie

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353464933' post='2513986']
Drinking myself into oblivion early in the day.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan to me.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353472388' post='2514044']
Mass at 9 to celebrate St. Cecilia's Day.
Cooking, eating, hopefully drinking. Family. traditional turkey day foods.
[/quote]

Our Thanksgiving Mass was last night. I wasn't able to go. Kinda feel gypped. lol

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1353472838' post='2514046']
My Dad started cooking Thanksgiving & Christmas meals when my mom worked nights when we were little - even after she switched to the day shift, he kept up the tradition he'd started, until he died. My fantastic husband decided that was something that he would like to carry on in our own family. So, I do the prep-work the day before and write everything out, then he kicks me out of the kitchen the day of the holiday. :)
[/quote]

That's really sweet! I'm kind of glad my husband wouldn't think to make such an offer, though. His cooking skills are limited. lol

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1353503206' post='2514183']
I'm going to Winchester's.

after that, I'll drop by my brother's house to eat.
[/quote]

I like that plan! haha

We are going to a friend's house, they are making the bird, I'm making most of the sides. They've got a kegerator so I'm not bothering with bringing any alcohol to share. haha I've also got two cheesecakes in the oven right now. No holiday meal would be complete without a cheesecake. I also bought a small turkey to make at home over the weekend to go with any leftovers I end bringing home.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1353503779' post='2514186']

You have weird holiday foods.
[/quote]

Bahahaha I didn't mean that literally. Metaphorically speaking.