An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics In Or Near Nyc

brianthephysicist

brianthephysicist

http://catholicunderground.net/

I'll be going to the Dec 1st Catholic Underground with my campus ministry for our Christmas trip. The details can be found in the link above.

If you would like to meet me there PM me for my cell number. It should be an amazing time with Jesus. Plus they'll have music and confession and fellowship and just other amazingness. This will be my first time attending. Get excited.

To Jesus Through Mary

For those around the area and considering, it is great and worth it! There are so many great solid Catholics in the area and they all converge here! It's where all the cool kids hang out. ;) After a beautiful time of adoration/evening pray/ praise and worship/ confessions there is entertainment and fellowship. The friars are the best and many different types of religious come as well. Plus you will get to see Brian and I!! ;)

HisChildForever

With the semester winding down, things are just a bit too busy for me right now. Do you guys plan to go to CU in the future?

To Jesus Through Mary

I go about every other month- Brian lives in a land far far away where ponies run wild and free, so I am not sure when he will make it back down to the city. Hopefully sooner then later!! They don't have them in the summer though. On the 3rd Saturday they have a night of just praise and worship. I haven't been to that yet. Probably in Jan.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

This would be amesome but my parents really don't like the idea of my going to NYC even on a bus without friends with me or meeting me [b]AS SOON[/b] as I get off. I have basically no inner city experience and it's been rocky in NYC since Sandy and tis a tuph time of year anyway. one of my local frends sez she cant go already so unless someone can be at the station (no i don't no which one yet lol but I'll be coming from Concord NH if I can go at all) I really don't know if I can go. I have a friendly aquaintence that could work out but I don't know if it would be worth asking. Don't want to push something that isn't God's will but at the sametime this is a great event and obvi my folx see that there just worried cuz I' am such a niave NH homeschooled 2o someodd year old. PM me for my cel def. .

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

This would be amesome but my parents really don't like the idea of my going to NYC even on a bus without friends with me or meeting me [b]AS SOON[/b] as I get off. I have basically no inner city experience and it's been rocky in NYC since Sandy and tis a tuph time of year anyway. one of my local frends sez she cant go already so unless someone can be at the station (no i don't no which one yet lol but I'll be coming from Concord NH if I can go at all) I really don't know if I can go. I have a friendly aquaintence that could work out but I don't know if it would be worth asking. Don't want to push something that isn't God's will but at the sametime this is a great event and obvi my folx see that there just worried cuz I' am such a niave NH homeschooled 2o someodd year old. PM me for my cel def. .

HisChildForever

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1353808986' post='2516143']
[/quote]

I apologize if I sound rude, but this is just odd to me. You're an adult in your 20s and your parents are afraid of you taking a bus into NYC alone? It's time to be independent, young man...Manhattan is not "inner city" and it's a grid layout. As long as you have the avenue and street it's impossible to get lost. I understand that you're from out-of-state but seriously, NYC is NOT scary.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1353864574' post='2516337']
SOMEDAY.
[/quote]
[img]http://anongallery.org/img/8/9/soon-sheep.jpg[/img]

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1353868820' post='2516346']
I apologize if I sound rude, but this is just odd to me. You're an adult in your 20s and your parents are afraid of you taking a bus into NYC alone? It's time to be independent, young man...Manhattan is not "inner city" and it's a grid layout. As long as you have the avenue and street it's impossible to get lost. I understand that you're from out-of-state but seriously, NYC is NOT scary.
[/quote]
Odd though it may be, he is being respectful of his parents. These states and there cities have different cultures, norms, and kinds of risks, and my mom who grew up near NYC has felt the same way about the idea of me going there by myself. NY may not be the ghetto, but it is still a very large if not the largest city around there, and street smarts are still important. This is particularly understandable for a homeschooled person because we do not grow up dealing with some of the things you do.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader, it probably can't hurt to at least mention the event to your acquaintance and see how he/she responds. You might also see if there is a way to show your parents that you have navigated major NH cities to show then that you can navigate NYC. Also, showing them that you would be prepared with things like maps and your cell phone and some other street smarts things to not lose things might help. Not sure what you mean for us to pray for though.

I often go, but this weekend I will be camping so I won't be there. It would be great to meet up with pm peeps another month though!

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='morostheos' timestamp='1353888082' post='2516482']
I often go, but this weekend I will be camping so I won't be there. It would be great to meet up with pm peeps another month though!
[/quote]

For sure! Maybe in Feb..

Camping is Dec?? That is hard core! Good luck with that!

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1353808992' post='2516144']
[/quote]

CCC- hope things work out for you to come. :) Let us know if you do. Sorry I cannot meet you at the station myself, as I will have a guest in town and will be entertaining before Underground. So I don't know how my schedule would be to be there "as soon" as you got off the bus.

But I will agree that NYC isn't anywhere close to the ghetto, especially the parts that the Underground is in. It is in the Upper East Side, which is a very rich section of town. I understand your reluctance though, but the city is very easy to navigate. And most everything has calmed down since Sandy. Would you have a place to stay that night? It might be a long trip back?