An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics In Or Near Nyc

brianthephysicist

brianthephysicist

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353782265' post='2515989']
I go about every other month- [b]Brian lives in a land far far away where ponies run wild and free[/b], so I am not sure when he will make it back down to the city. Hopefully sooner then later!! They don't have them in the summer though. On the 3rd Saturday they have a night of just praise and worship. I haven't been to that yet. Probably in Jan.
[/quote]
That's a pretty accurate description. :|
[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1353808986' post='2516143']
This would be amesome but my parents really don't like the idea of my going to NYC even on a bus without friends with me or meeting me [b]AS SOON[/b] as I get off. I have basically no inner city experience and it's been rocky in NYC since Sandy and tis a tuph time of year anyway. one of my local frends sez she cant go already so unless someone can be at the station (no i don't no which one yet lol but I'll be coming from Concord NH if I can go at all) I really don't know if I can go. I have a friendly aquaintence that could work out but I don't know if it would be worth asking. Don't want to push something that isn't God's will but at the sametime this is a great event and obvi my folx see that there just worried cuz I' am such a niave NH homeschooled 2o someodd year old. PM me for my cel def. .
[/quote]
No worries man, I'm from suburbs and farms and woods so I'm not very street smarts-y either lol. I've not hung out alone in a major city (Philly, NYC, Baltimore, etc.) since before my reversion so my limited pre-reversion street smarts included #1 always look confident that you know where you are going, even if you have no clue and end up doubling back or walking in a large circle and #2 look like the next person that bothers you will get a punch to the face. #1 still seems like okay advice but I need to come up with something different for #2 :hehe: .

I wish I could meet you at the bus stop, but I'll be locked into the campus club's itinerary up to that point. I got your PM with your cell number so I'll respond there to give you mine as well.

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1353708244' post='2515399']
I've heard about that. An avvesome priest I know is supposed to be there, and I might be going.
[/quote]

That's cool! Were you interested in meeting up? If so, let me know and I'll PM you my cell #.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1353781390' post='2515981']
With the semester winding down, things are just a bit too busy for me right now. Do you guys plan to go to CU in the future?
[/quote]
[quote name='morostheos' timestamp='1353888082' post='2516482']
I often go, but this weekend I will be camping so I won't be there. It would be great to meet up with pm peeps another month though!
[/quote]
I grouped these two together because they pretty much have the same response lol. I always [i]want[/i] to go to CU but I almost never get the chance because of schoolwork and because I'm honestly not a fan of big cities. It's hard to convince myself to do something faith related in a place I don't want to be in when there's faith related stuff in places I like to be in lol.

All that being said, there's still an open invitation to anyone in the area to come visit me on Long Island on almost any random weekend. As long as I'm planning on being in the state and I have a couple weeks notice I can whip up something like I did when TJTM came out for a visit: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123479-my-friend-found-the-best-restaurant/ . Basically I picked her up at the train station and we hung out at a Marian shrine til almost sundown and then went to an amesome bar for dinner. All sorts of fun variants on that depending on the season (and even more for people that feel comfortable spending a night or two on the couch).

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1353875497' post='2516374']
Odd though it may be, he is being respectful of his parents. These states and there cities have different cultures, norms, and kinds of risks, and my mom who grew up near NYC has felt the same way about the idea of me going there by myself. NY may not be the ghetto, but it is still a very large if not the largest city around there, and street smarts are still important. This is particularly understandable for a homeschooled person because we do not grow up dealing with some of the things you do.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader, it probably can't hurt to at least mention the event to your acquaintance and see how he/she responds. You might also see if there is a way to show your parents that you have navigated major NH cities to show then that you can navigate NYC. Also, showing them that you would be prepared with things like maps and your cell phone and some other street smarts things to not lose things might help. Not sure what you mean for us to pray for though.
[/quote]

I appreciate all the support I will bring it up to those aquantences tonight. My cell has no data plan and NH has no real major cities lol. I will tell you guys if I am able to come or not but I am not expecting to this time around. I might but it doesn't look good. If this is like a monthly thing I imagine I could make one bythe beginning of the baseball season prolly, but even then we will have to see especially in this economy. But thanks so much guys.