An Old School Catholic Message Board

Urgent Prayer Request

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... A few of you know that I am essentially a janitor for the Catholic diocease of Manchester NH and have other commitees at my church as well. Well I am the admin of the Youth Ministry (STYM) FB page. Almost 11 months ago I went to the March for life and posted the pics on the page. None of our kids went no big deal was made of the pix. Now this past week we admitted a new member to the FB group and she actually was active!!! That never happens! So terrific right! Well, she found a pic of a powerful prolife poster I took and said it was gross. Fr. removed the pic and discussion on it . 1-Now Fr. is going to come down on me for it and I will need the 2-strength not to A.) Cower, B.) Hulk out. This Priest is well, I am trying to beat around the bush, this is online and anyone can technically read it, 3-completely opposed to orthodoxy. He signs my paycheck and I am certainly not overqualified to have this job. I was almost shocked to get it in fact. STYM has a meeting tonight and he has made it clear that this will be an unhappy topic in it. 4-Pray for his Conversion and that all the ppl in the room don't lose complete faith, cower, quit, yell, get good at WWE wrestling moves, and 5-that we can I dunno, allow Catholicism at our Catholic Church. Would be kinda nice. Deacon isn't allowed to do homilies anymore because last time ppl left and didn't come back including adult members of STYM. Fr. has shut down the Prolife commitee and was paticullarly upset with the one thing I said in those minutes. 6-Heaven forbid we actually preach the authentic Gospel. At least our Sacraments are valid :|

Caflic,

Reading your post above, I note a few things. 

1-You think the Pastor is going to come down on you for it.  You and he may not hold the same opinion on certain things, but he is the Pastor and your boss.  It's Father's job and realm of responsibility to run the parish.  He went to Seminary School.  He was Ordained.  He was appointed by the Bishop.  He has the responsibility and authority to make these decisions. 

2-You are making a decision to be obedient or respectful of the pastor an act of cowering instead of being respectful of his position and being respectful of the Bishop who appointed him.

3-You've labled the Pastor as being un-orthodox, and not being worthy of your respect.  You've reinforced that opinion when you are asking people to 4-pray for his conversion and for others to not "cower".  That's highly disrespectful to the pastor, his education, his Ordination, his authority, his intelligence, his motives.  You are essentially saying your understanding and perspective is superior to his.  You are more right, he is wrong.  In fact, you question his very Catholicism with points 5&6, making a snide comment that your pastor doesn't even allow Catholicism to be taught or preached your parish.

You've demonstrated you believe you are holier and more Catholic than the pastor in thought and action.  You have pretty much set yourself up for a no-win scenario.  Either the pastor will agree with you, or you will be faced with two choices: A-Cower (which is you doing what you believe is not right).  or B-Hulking Out (you agressively standing up for what you think is right and the pastor will have to either agree with you, or fire you for being disrespectful and uncooperative.  If there are complaints, it's the pastor that other parishoners will call, not you.  Your pastor is the leader of the parish.  He can't just say that Caflic thought it was okay, so the pics remain.  It's his personal responsibility to address it the way he believes is best. 

I can appreciate your zealousness and commitment to being a good Catholic Christian.  However, along with your personal responsibility for yourself and your actions, to be a Catholic, you have to have respect for the institution of the Church.  You have to give the benefit of the doubt to your pastor, your Bishop, your Church.  You have to humbly accept that God isn't necessarily choosing to infuse you with more holieness and orthodoxy in your decisions than He's choosing to infuse your pastor or Bishop.  There is the distinct probability you may be less right than you think, and the pastor may be less wrong than you think.  Offer it up.

Since you're posting about your situation here, I'm assuming you are open to suggestions.  There is a middle ground.

If the issue of removed pictures comes up, and IF you are offered a chance to explain your opinion, do so respectfully.  Explain that you felt it was powerful and motivational to help convince people to choose Life instead of Death.  You absolutely should conclude with saying you respect the opinion of the pastor that it may be too extreme and upsetting to some who may view it (don't forget, there are younger people in the parish, elementary school kids, who may click on the parish website).   If you're going to pray, ask for humility, respect,  temperance, and a sense of humor.

If you are NOT offered a chance to explain your position in a public meeting, make an appointment with the pastor to speak privately.  Start off with you telling him you respect his position and authority and ASK if you can have a chance to explain why you thought the pic was acceptable.  Listen to his response, thank him for it, and tell him you will be open and respectful to his direction and authority in any future matters.  You've are helping establish a mutually respectful and open relationship where you are asking for respect from your boss while showing him respect as a priest and the person in authority.

Edited by Anomaly

Praying for both of you and all involved.  Thanks for the thoughtful post, Anomaly...  no matter what CCC does, praying over that will help him to prepare.... and to enter the meeting in openness, and humility.... with a listening yet courageous heart....

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

The meeting happened it didn't come up I assumed he forgot.  Had it come up I would have respectfully let him know that I believe that picture is the kind we should have on our wall.  Had he respectfully disagreed I probably wouldn've gotten a word in before Deacon's daughter went up to bat, but lets leave her out of this.  Had his reason been like the one I heard from Liz on our counsil I would have been fine with that, but I think it is safe to say that our priest is a sneaker full of crap.  Love him to pieces, but I have never heard of a priest doing so much to undermine Catholicism in a Catholic parrish without somehow breaking canon law.  Deacon's daughter is writing a letter to the bishop about him.  I ask her if she really though that would do any good because he hasn't struck me as the next St. Thomas More and she said, good heavens no he is a sneaker full of crap, but I will feel better, my conscience will be satisified.  So if your diocease is too Holy send some good ones to New Hampshire.  I ain't all that good.  I am a miserable sinner.  But I take out the trash for my parish for little more than minimum wage, and he sinks the boat for a lot more than that, like I said love him to pieces.  praying for him wishing him the best. 

The meeting happened it didn't come up I assumed he forgot.  Had it come up I would have respectfully let him know that I believe that picture is the kind we should have on our wall.  Had he respectfully disagreed I probably wouldn've gotten a word in before Deacon's daughter went up to bat, but lets leave her out of this.  Had his reason been like the one I heard from Liz on our counsil I would have been fine with that, but I think it is safe to say that our priest is a sneaker full of crap.  Love him to pieces, but I have never heard of a priest doing so much to undermine Catholicism in a Catholic parrish without somehow breaking canon law.  Deacon's daughter is writing a letter to the bishop about him.  I ask her if she really though that would do any good because he hasn't struck me as the next St. Thomas More and she said, good heavens no he is a sneaker full of crap, but I will feel better, my conscience will be satisified.  So if your diocease is too Holy send some good ones to New Hampshire.  I ain't all that good.  I am a miserable sinner.  But I take out the trash for my parish for little more than minimum wage, and he sinks the boat for a lot more than that, like I said love him to pieces.  praying for him wishing him the best.