An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Gives Turkey Absolution

Papist

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1353964362' post='2517102']
how else would you communicate pardon to a turkey? I don't think they understand English.
[/quote]
The penitent does not need to understand the words of absolution in order for it to be valid. That is why you could receive a valid absolution from any priest, no matter what languages either of you speak or do not speak.
On the other hand, I think a more pressing issue is the turkey's probable lack of an immortal soul. I do not think a sacramental absolution could possibly be valid, because the turkey's lack of an immortal soul precludes its acceptance of salvation and the Holy Catholic Church.

:|

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1353960602' post='2517054']
Am I the only one, who, if president, wouldn't pardon turkeys?
[/quote]

Yes. :| Turkeys get pardons because they have death sentences.

But guys, it's so much FUN to feel offended and victimized! How else could I expend all this emotional energy?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353964647' post='2517105']
The penitent does not need to understand the words of absolution in order for it to be valid. That is why you could receive a valid absolution from any priest, no matter what languages either of you speak or do not speak.
On the other hand, I think a more pressing issue is the turkey's probable lack of an immortal soul. I do not think a sacramental absolution could possibly be valid, because the turkey's lack of an immortal soul precludes its acceptance of salvation and the Holy Catholic Church.

:|
[/quote]

Aside from the immortal soul, were I president, I think I'd deny absolution based on not believing the penitent has contrition for its sins.

Immediately after the annual presidential pardon of the turkey Ceremony was held, The president and his family sat down to a Traditional Thanksgiving dinner at the White House featuring roast turkey, Mashed Potatoes and Cranberry sauce

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1353967509' post='2517180']
I like jellied cranberry sauce :)
[/quote]

I agree.

http://abcnews.go.com/politics/t/blogEntry?id=17787759
Yup, just as I suspected the Obama's ate turkey
Seems a little disingenuous to pardon and absolve the bird and then eat him anyway

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='add' timestamp='1353972279' post='2517260']
[url="http://abcnews.go.com/politics/t/blogEntry?id=17787759"]http://abcnews.go.co...try?id=17787759[/url]
Yup, just as I suspected the Obama's ate turkey
Seems a little disingenuous to pardon and absolve the bird and then eat him anyway
[/quote]

It's not the same bird. :)

Im sure the families of people on death row probably find the tradition of pardoning turkeys a little more offensive than catholics find absolving turkeys to be offensive.