An Old School Catholic Message Board

The New Roman Missal Is 1 Year Old

MissyP89

Thanks, guys (even you Winchester.... :blowkiss: ;)

Chrys, I agree with you on the music. The HORRIBLE settings they have chosen and keep re-using are not helping my struggle. And a few pew cards probably would help. Some bright person decided to remove them after about 3 months because they were 'cluttering up the pews'. I'd say the participation kind of dropped off at that point.... (The misalette things went away a few years ago in a cost-cutting measure....)

But GOD is there, the sermons are wonderful, and everyone really is trying to make this work - even me!

I probably should add that I am not kidding about the learning disability/attention deficit disorder thing, and that is probably a LOT of the problem for me personally. I had exactly the same experience with very solemn masses even in the old translation, and nearly had a panic attack in a solemn Traditional Latin Mass. I think it is just too much sensory input (incense, music, language, crowds... the whole package.)

The hard part for some of you may come if in about 40 years when someone decides to adjust THESE words into something that is ALMOST the same but not exactly the same as what we just got through using. (I also had the same response when they switched the words in 1971... and kind of liked it back in the late 60's when part of the Mass was in Latin. And I'm totally cool with a low Mass in Latin.

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1353980366' post='2517331']
I probably should add that I am not kidding about the learning disability/attention deficit disorder thing, and that is probably a LOT of the problem for me personally. I had exactly the same experience with very solemn masses even in the old translation, and nearly had a panic attack in a solemn Traditional Latin Mass. I think it is just too much sensory input (incense, music, language, crowds... the whole package.)

The hard part for some of you may come if in about 40 years when someone decides to adjust THESE words into something that is ALMOST the same but not exactly the same as what we just got through using. (I also had the same response when they switched the words in 1971... and kind of liked it back in the late 60's when part of the Mass was in Latin. And I'm totally cool with a low Mass in Latin.
[/quote]

I've never been to a solemn high Latin mass. I hope to go for Christmas! :) What you describe makes me very excited. I'm a very big fan of tons of incense, Gregorian music, huge crowds at Mass...the whole package.)

But, to the topic at hand, whenever I pay close attention to those around me, I seem to notice the older folks saying the wrong things. Sweet cuties. They're so precious, and I just want to help. I love old people.

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1353980366' post='2517331']
Thanks, guys (even you Winchester.... :blowkiss: ;)

Chrys, I agree with you on the music. The HORRIBLE settings they have chosen and keep re-using are not helping my struggle. And a few pew cards probably would help. Some bright person decided to remove them after about 3 months because they were 'cluttering up the pews'. I'd say the participation kind of dropped off at that point.... (The misalette things went away a few years ago in a cost-cutting measure....)
[/quote]

what an idiotic thing to do! :rolleyes: our parish still has the pew cards (tattered and worn, but they're there!). I still need them every once in awhile when I have children crawling over me and I forget what the heck I'm doing! :crazy:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353980762' post='2517336']

I have children crawling over me
[/quote]
I have the same problem, except it's adult women. Honestly, you'd think they could control themselves for an hour!

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353980843' post='2517338']
I have the same problem, except it's adult women. Honestly, you'd think they could control themselves for an hour!
[/quote]

stop fantasizing in church, pervert. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353981029' post='2517340']

stop fantasizing in church, pervert. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I'm just drawn that way.

I like the new translation, I have no problems. The parishes I go to seem to be doing fine with it. My only slight problem is that we Never say the Apostle's Creed at my regular parish and about a month ago I was visiting a different parish and they said it and I was utterly lost, I couldn't locate any pew card either, so I was just quite.

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1353984473' post='2517368']
I like the new translation, I have no problems. The parishes I go to seem to be doing fine with it. My only slight problem is that we Never say the Apostle's Creed at my regular parish and about a month ago I was visiting a different parish and they said it and I was utterly lost, I couldn't locate any pew card either, so I was just quite.
[/quote]
Just quite [i]what[/i]?