An Old School Catholic Message Board

Very Very Upset. Shaking Visibly.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I have not made a difference in many people lives I think.  Well not socially.  With peers.  Growing up I had no friends and did a lot of crying about it and praying about it that one day God would give me a friend that would be so cool with me I could even let loose my Tourette Syndrome around him.  Well when my High school YM collapsed in my parish we decided to go to one 35 minutes away assuming it wasn't snowing out or something.  And that's when I met and became tight with my best friend TJ.  It's not for me to give you TJ's story.  I don't want to sound proud, but TJ didn't have friends either and he felt and I quote that he would give me a kidney if I needed it.  He and I discerned in then out of the Catholic Priesthood.  Almost all of my fun stories growing up have TJ or Philip in them.  TJ and I went to a Catholic concert in 2008 where he got "New friends".  TJ has been on a downward spiral ever since I haven't hung with him sinnce summer 2011 and every way I try to bring Christ into his life he ignores it.  Well now he just unfriended me on Facebook.  He went from being able to quote the CCC on demand to thinking that his own spirituality is better than any organized religion.  They're just zombies.  :facepalm:  I am very, very, very upset.  Shaking so bad that I have taken forever to type this correctly and my blood has gone cold like it used to before fights in the martial arts days. 

Praying for you and for TJ.   God is big enough to hold both of you in a loving embrace, CCC....  and God can touch his heart.  We'll pray....

Well, as he is your good friend you've got to show love..love...love. And most of all, pray, pray, pray! If there is any way you could talk to him, or just say hi again, I would hope that his senses would come back to him! Sometimes, people just float "away from the warf" (that dock being their normal self in this situation). Like a boat who is docked, it's tied to the warf and the rope is long. If the boat goes so far away, the rope is pulled until is floats back in. This is what you need to do.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

When I lost my childhood best friend someone told me that it was time I let Jesus be my best friend. Since then, I've ended up with several people I consider my best friends, but Jesus has to be #1. Humans fail us and change, but God remains the same and will unto eternity.

I know what it's like to have friends drop out of your life and lose their faith. For me, talking to them later in life, it reminds me of how much MY life has changed. There's no doubt it's hard, though.

I'm praying for you and TJ and that someone true comes into your life.

Stay strong, dude.

maybe he thought you wouldn't want to be friends with him if he wasn't Catholic? I dunno. just a thought.

it sucks when a friendship falls apart for one reason or another. :( sorry dude.

HisChildForever

I had a good friend who did the same a couple years ago. I was put out and rather confused but then decided not to take it personally. Things might seem dark now but you'll make new friends, trust me. And maybe TJ will come back. He's going through something.

I don't know your age, but you will find in life that it is normal to eventually lose contact with some friends and gain new friends due to people moving away, establishing careers, getting married and having their own families whiel you don't, etc.   In my own life, I lost contact with one of my best friends from HS - I was with him on the night he finally felt he was called to be a priest, but I lost contact with him and found out he left the priesthood.  In another case, I found out that an ex-roommate from many years ago is now in federal prison for mail fraud and apparently he volunteered to stay in (if you get my drift).  Other old friends got married and are busy with their families and so naturally gravitate to socialize with other married couples with kids, especially when their kids enter school.

Edited by Norseman82

I have not made a difference in many people lives I think.  Well not socially.  With peers.  Growing up I had no friends and did a lot of crying about it and praying about it that one day God would give me a friend that would be so cool with me I could even let loose my Tourette Syndrome around him.  Well when my High school YM collapsed in my parish we decided to go to one 35 minutes away assuming it wasn't snowing out or something.  And that's when I met and became tight with my best friend TJ.  It's not for me to give you TJ's story.  I don't want to sound proud, but TJ didn't have friends either and he felt and I quote that he would give me a kidney if I needed it.  He and I discerned in then out of the Catholic Priesthood.  Almost all of my fun stories growing up have TJ or Philip in them.  TJ and I went to a Catholic concert in 2008 where he got "New friends".  TJ has been on a downward spiral ever since I haven't hung with him sinnce summer 2011 and every way I try to bring Christ into his life he ignores it.  Well now he just unfriended me on Facebook.  He went from being able to quote the CCC on demand to thinking that his own spirituality is better than any organized religion.  They're just zombies.  :facepalm:  I am very, very, very upset.  Shaking so bad that I have taken forever to type this correctly and my blood has gone cold like it used to before fights in the martial arts days. 

I am sorry and I will be praying for you and for TJ too! :(

Keep your chin up! :console:

Thanks guys.  That's the thing though, Catholicism was our relationship.  Unlike with Philip who let me know Catholicism wasn't a priority anymore for him and we moved on TJ Consecrated himself to Mary and did other things that I have never done that I wish I could say I did as a Catholic.  I looked up to him as a Catholic in some ways.  And we all three hung out we weren't judgemental or anything, but to who more is given more is to be expected.  The one time I drove over to his house (Most of our relationship I didn't have my lisence due to the never ending concussion one of the many ways he cared for me was driving me all over kingdom come) and we hung and he told me what Phil said that: Catholicism wasn't a priority anymore and my blood went cold my eyes got big.  I knew we had lost a tremendous soldier in the army of Christ and I didn't want to leave him to die on the battlefield so the rest of the get together he asked me what was wrong and I was absolutely speechless.  I think that was our last get together like that and one of our last get togethers ever.  Through FB I tried to bring him back to Christ with links and words of encouragment, but he faded to that group of friends that told him that Catholicism is a cafe.  I am not Judging you TJ I'd tell him I just know you are capable of better and now he is gone.  NH is dead.  There are no other real catholics I don't know.  We are scraping the bottom of the barrel that's part of why this hurts so bad.  Praying.  Thanks for the support and prayers.  God bless. 

I understand Catholicism brought you together, but why don't you try to be a bit more understanding? 

I used to be a VERY devout Catholic, and strayed away. Tried many religions/churches. My Catholic friends stuck by me.

Was a member of the LDS church for awhile. Decided that wasn't my cup of tea either. My Mormon friends still hung out with me and never bugged me about my choices or tried to poke and prod and get me 'back'.

I would probably unfriend you too and distance myself if you kept posting different Catholic/Christian stuff to my facebook. It's annoying, maybe he feels guilty like myself that he didn't believe anymore, and would rather not have constant reminders. I felt incredible guilt and shame when I first realized I didn't believe in organized religion or God. I understand you believe his eternal soul is at stake, but respect your friend's wishes about not making Catholicism a priority, and just love him as a brother. 

Your example by sticking to your beliefs and not pushing Catholicism on him and loving him no matter what and respecting his choices will go a LOT further in evangelization.

I always felt more compelled to go back to church or pick up my bible when my friends treated me this way instead.

Edited by zabbazooey

I understand Catholicism brought you together, but why don't you try to be a bit more understanding? 

I used to be a VERY devout Catholic, and strayed away. Tried many religions/churches. My Catholic friends stuck by me.

Was a member of the LDS church for awhile. Decided that wasn't my cup of tea either. My Mormon friends still hung out with me and never bugged me about my choices or tried to poke and prod and get me 'back'.

I would probably unfriend you too and distance myself if you kept posting different Catholic/Christian stuff to my facebook. It's annoying, maybe he feels guilty like myself that he didn't believe anymore, and would rather not have constant reminders. I felt incredible guilt and shame when I first realized I didn't believe in organized religion or God. I understand you believe his eternal soul is at stake, but respect your friend's wishes about not making Catholicism a priority, and just love him as a brother. 

Your example by sticking to your beliefs and not pushing Catholicism on him and loving him no matter what and respecting his choices will go a LOT further in evangelization.

I always felt more compelled to go back to church or pick up my bible when my friends treated me this way instead.

yes, this. exactly this.

It's too late.  I did it right with Philip but totally f.loopied it up with TJ.  It's cause I care.