An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shroud Of Turin

Freedom

The Shroud of Turin  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

There really is no room in your mind for subtlety, is there?

What Freedom just read:

I'm a liberal that hates God and the Church and worships Obama. The Shroud of Turin is a total fake and you are a poor-hating Republican scumbag.

Edited by FuturePriest387

HisChildForever

I saw the Shroud in Italy late May 2010 (in Turin). It was right at the start of its tour, in fact I'm pretty sure we were saw it on the tour's second or third day. Side note: I went with my college, we flew in to Rome then immediately up to Turin to start our trip, it was a 2-week summer class. We traveled by bus the entire time from Turin and finished in Rome. It was a constant on-the-go trip and it was absolutely amazing. The class was about the saints in Italy, I was in close to like sixty or seventy churches (I'm not even kidding) and saw numerous tombs (Francis, Clare, Augustine, Don Bosco, St. Peter scavi tour, etc.) and incorruptible like Pope John XXIII in the Basilica. We were led by a priest so we had Mass almost only day. Obviously seeing the Shroud was an amazing way to start this trip.

This thread has brought up some great memories LOL.

Anyway, you learn about the history before you're brought into the church. It was smaller than I expected, but amazing nonetheless. I believe it's authentic.

HisChildForever

I believe it's authentic.

I need to add a caveat - I think it's fine if people don't believe its authenticity. It's not like it's required to believe in it or anything.

My Dad once said that even if it isn't real, it has been made Holy by all the people over the centuries who have prayed before it.

Basilisa Marie

My Dad once said that even if it isn't real, it has been made Holy by all the people over the centuries who have prayed before it.

I really like this. 

I don't think it's actually the burial shroud of Christ.  But I don't think it matters if it's scientifically real or not. It inspires faith in so many people, and that's what's important. 

I agree with Catherine.  I don't know nor does it really matter.  The shroud is an extremely powerful reminder of the suffering of Jesus Christ, who died for for my sins.  I find it hard to look at because it hurts to see it.  

incorruptible like Pope John XXIII in the Basilica.

He was much less fat than I expected. His reputation preceded his girth. :|