An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shroud Of Turin

Freedom

The Shroud of Turin  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe that it is the burial shroud.  That being said, if an authoritative pronouncement came down against it, it wouldn't affect my faith.  The shroud is a reminder of Christ's passion and death, not its actual proof. 

GeorgiiMichael

I was always intrigued by it. Even before my conversion, when I wanted to prove that Catholics were wrong about everything, I thought it was really cool. In all the documentaries I watched on it, I always silently rooted for the people who wanted it to be real. 

In the end, I don't know, though. But it's like I told my middle schoolers today when asked if Jesus was really born in December: it doesn't matter, what matters is that it focuses us on Christ and the things that He did for us.

What Freedom just read:  I'm a liberal that hates God and the Church and worships Obama. The Shroud of Turin is a total fake and you are a poor-hating Republican scumbag.

What in God's green earth are you talking about?  Do you think you are God  Almighty who is telepathic?  Your assumptions have never been more wrong.  You're not God, [mod]MIKolbe-Personal Attack[/mod]

You're a lazy typist.

Just efficient. I can type nearly as fast as I can think, so I really have nothing to benefit by shortening words.

PhuturePriest

I will now never know what Freedom said to me that got edited by MIkolbe. If even he thought something was too far than you know it was bad.

I read it before it was edited, but I cannot remember what it said. It was less exciting than you are expecting.

PhuturePriest

I read it before it was edited, but I cannot remember what it said. It was less exciting than you are expecting.

Darn! I'm sad now...

IgnatiusofLoyola

This isn't an answer to the question, simply food for thought (and perhaps faith), and which may be of special interest to Phatmassers living in, or planning to visit, the New Jersey/New York area. The Dominican Nuns of the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary, located in Summit, NJ, (not that far from the Newark, NJ airport and New York City) have a very special replica of the Shroud of Turin which they have had for many years, but which the nuns only put on public display last year.

To quote from the nuns' Web site:

"What makes this replica treasured and venerated to this day is the fact that it came into physical contact with the Holy Shroud of Turin. When it was removed it was found that the wound in the side, as it is seen on the Holy Shroud had become damp as though with blood, and that this effusion had stained the copy. In 1987, scientists from the STURP team affirmed that the stain was indeed that of human blood and of the same blood type as on the Holy Shroud."

The full article from the nuns' Web site can be found here: http://nunsopsummit.org/history/copy-of-the-shroud-of-turin

Unfortunately, polling people on the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin will not prove the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin. That's like asking a bunch of Medievals whether they think the earth is flat or round. They'd all say 'flat', and they'd all be wrong.

HisChildForever

Freedom, what is your purpose on Phatmass? Seriously. I posted my experience of seeing the Shroud and when you return to the thread you decide to ignore me and be rude to two other people. Are you really interested in discussion, or just fighting?

Archaeology cat

Unfortunately, polling people on the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin will not prove the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin. That's like asking a bunch of Medievals whether they think the earth is flat or round. They'd all say 'flat', and they'd all be wrong.

Actually, most knew the earth was round in those times.