An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need The Honest Truth

Annie12

Please be serious and as honest as possible.  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am posting this poll to see what people think... I have a learning disorder and I want to tell people but I have no idea how they will react. I don't want them so see me differently because of it.

I voted for sharing the information. But I'm studying to be a teacher at the moment, so yeah, I like to know such things.

A friend of mine has one too. She decided to tell us. I think it depends a little bit who you want to tell. For us, it didn't make any difference, we understood the difficulties she had and treated her like we did before. In fact, we encouraged her and offered help if she needs it. We don't want to help out of pity or something ("aw, you have a disorder, let me help you"), we just want to help as friends. That's what friends do. And she knows that, so she lets us help.

But now I was talking about friends. Other students or teachers can react totally different. That's for you to decide.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I wish there was a option for "It doesn't make me see them differently". I have quite a number of people close to me who have a mental disorder, but that is not the same thing as a learning disorder or disability. Idk, I don't think it would make me think of them any different. With my friends with mental disorders, it doesn't really make me think of them much differently. I mean, it depends who the person was, I guess. One of my friends with bipolar had to be institutionalized for a while soon after I met her. We weren't very close, though, so I guess I thought of her differently because I had no idea any of this was going on. We still aren't very close, so it hasn't really made a difference.

Wow, I rambled on there for a while. Yeah, I don't think it's fair to compare mental disorders to learning issues. Two different things. But I wouldn't think of someone with a learning issue any differently.

Praying for you, by the way!

KnightofChrist

Most of the early part of my life was living with learning disabilities, caused by suffering a few strokes when I was very young, I was forced to relearn to walk and talk again and again. Some problems still exist as a form of dyslexia. Words and numbers get jumbled in my head so easily. It can be so very frustrating to try and form sentences and spell words longer than five characters. Because even when I can see them in my head correctly I'll still write it backwards. So, not knowing exactly what you have, I may somewhat know how you feel.

Just be careful who you share it with and how much you share it. From experience I can tell you if you share too much some times some people can't handle it, and you end up pushing them away. This has happened to me, because I shared too much and depended on people too much that couldn't handle my problems. Also jackholes do exist, and they will mock you, I've had my dyslexia mocked far too many times by jackholes who thought they were funny. Then of course there are times when you can laugh at yourself and your friends can laugh with you when you do something crazy because of your disabilities. lol. I suggest you tell those you feel comfortable telling, those you trust, those that love you, those that need to know for whatever reason, and other reasons like that. Not everyone needs to know and the people you do tell don't need to know everything. Share what you want to share with those you want to share it with.

To Jesus Through Mary

FCC is right, there should be the option to put "It doesn't make a difference", many people have learning disabilities. In my CCD class on Sunday there are 17 students 3-4 have learning disabilities. I help them a little bit more and repeat myself a few times, but other then that I don't treat them any different then the other students. My father also has dyslexia and he is one of the smartest people I know but he doesn't learn in the traditional way. He is a computer engineer now. I have some dyslexia and was a tax analysis before I was a missionary. So IMO these things are able to be overcome. We have to work a little harder then most, but it is not without hope! :) I know it is rough going through college with it though. I know first hand. My prayers are with you!! If your campus has a tutoring/resource center take advantage of it. It helped me a lot. I will continue praying for you.

As for if you want to disclose or not, that is entirely up to you. I think most people wouldn't look at you any differently.

theculturewarrior

I say no, because a lot of people you come across will use anything personal you tell them against you to hurt you, and that is a very good example of something such a person would want to hear.

To Jesus Through Mary

Most of the early part of my life was living with learning disabilities, caused by suffering a few strokes when I was very young, I was forced to relearn to walk and talk again and again. Some problems still exist as a form of dyslexia. Words and numbers get jumbled in my head so easily. It can be so very frustrating to try and form sentences and spell words longer than five characters. Because even when I can see them in my head correctly I'll still write it backwards. So, not knowing exactly what you have, I may somewhat know how you feel.

Just be careful who you share it with and how much you share it. From experience I can tell you if you share too much some times some people can't handle it, and you end up pushing them away. This has happened to me, because I shared too much and depended on people too much that couldn't handle my problems. Also jackholes do exist, and they will mock you, I've had my dyslexia mocked far too many times by jackholes who thought they were funny. Then of course there are times when you can laugh at yourself and your friends can laugh with you when you do something crazy because of your disabilities. lol. I suggest you tell those you feel comfortable telling, those you trust, those that love you, those that need to know for whatever reason, and other reasons like that. Not everyone needs to know and the people you do tell don't need to know everything. Share what you want to share with those you want to share it with.

Prop, prop, prop- he is exactly right. :)

(and it almost makes up for your post the other day... almost.)

I am going to set to work immediately in the attempt to create a dishonest truth. I shall contain it in a strong magnetic field, lest its effects spread throughout the universe.

They will figure out that you are different from them sooner or later. That's only natural.

1. You can tell others on first meeting, "I have a learning disorder." I know people who do that, and it always feels to me like they're making excuses for themselves - like they're setting very low expectations that they can then rise to. It also creates the other person's first impression of you, and first impressions are pretty strong and last pretty long.

2. You can tell selected people, on an as-needed basis, "I have a learning disorder." As-needed would mean:

a. In a class - the instructor probably ought to know;

b. In a work or study group - if your learning disability involves numbers, don't let them assign you the statistical analysis part of the project.

c. In response to an insult or negative comment.

In those situations, disclosure is more an explanation than a pre-emptive excuse.

theculturewarrior

You know, to reiterate the above, there are some really open-minded people out there and you might make some really good friends if you disclose and even find out that a few of them have a learning disability too.  That is how I discovered the love of my life, although my disability is different.  But please figure out who you are talking to before you disclose.  Safety first, always.  And seriously, most important advice, if you can at all avoid it, never tell an employer that you have any kind of disability.  I am facing the prospect of homelessness because I exercised my civil rights.

carmenchristi

I would have voted that it doesn't make a difference. I think or issue thing that one should share when it affects ones ability to work in a group or be understood by others or if it is necessary to do things differently. Otherwise thee realty isn't any reason to share but nothing to be ashamed about either.

R

Spem in alium

It really shouldn't make a difference. My best friend has a learning disorder and I have worked with kids who have various issues. The disorder doesn't define them as people - they're all wonderful and capable in many ways. Unfortunately some people will use things like this to hurt others, but they are not the sorts of people with whom you need to associate. Share whenever you see fit and feel comfortable.

Basilisa Marie

I know lots of people with all sorts of 'learning disorders.'  It seems to me that everyone processes information differently, and those people who process information differently enough deserve adequate changes in their learning environment. I was a note-taker for a few students who needed my help when I was in college.  I needed a tutor for most of my philosophy classes beyond the intro level...and I just got done tutoring a friend for the math section of the GRE.   I think it's rather silly that learning disorders sometimes come with a stigma. People shouldn't have to worry or be ashamed about getting the resources they need to do well.  :)

That being said, make sure you're in contact with whatever Learning Services your college has, if you need accommodations for class work (note taker, longer time to complete tests...whatever it is).  Then only tell your friends if you feel comfortable doing so.  By law you don't have to tell anyone about a learning disability if you don't want to, and if you tell the Learning Services people they can't tell anyone unless you give them permission (at least that's how it worked in the state I was in, but I think that's pretty universal).  If your friends are decent friends, they won't treat you any differently if you tell them.  :) 

Sounds like pretty much a consensus here.   BUT I will also tell you that you REALLY do want to use some common sense when telling teachers and/or employers, because some people don't get what LD is, or think it is the same as being stupid.  It is not - by definition one has to have average OR BETTER (and often MUCH better) intelligence to be classed with an LD.  It just means that in one or a few areas, you process things differently.  If your learning curve is like mine, on most subjects, no one will even know anything is different, and on others, the learning curve looks lomething like this:

5%  5%   20%  20%   20%  30%   30%    30%   30%   35%   35%   and then very suddenly, 100% mastery

In other words..... all of a sudden it just all falls into place, but that time before that can seem like an eternity.

There is a LOT of computer software and other things that can help with spell checking and number checking, so take advantage of the technology.  Do check in with the Learning Center and/or Disability Office at your school... others who have been there can help, including identifying teachers who might  be more open to going an extra step with you.  YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

My brothers and I are considered on the "gifted" spectrum which sometimes, if not handled correctly, presents a lot like a learning disability. Ironically enough. So I consider myself pretty accepting of that kind of thing. I've dealt with special learning requirements for a long time.