An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need The Honest Truth

Annie12

Please be serious and as honest as possible.  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a teacher, I see this is in a rather complicated fashion, I suppose. I have had students with diagnosed learning disorders who I believe were simply very poorly brought up. I often think that kids diagnosed with ADHD and such really just need discipline, a change of diet, and an education in how to focus and bring quiet into their lives. I have, however, met people with genuine ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, etc., and from those acquaintances, I can say that, when someone REALLY had a learning disorder, it was not something you could miss. Even if that person didn't have a diagnosis, you'd know they needed some special attention.

I have a student this semester who does not have a diagnosed learning disorder, though he clearly has one. I have another student this semester who suffered a serious concussion from which she will never recover, and until she told me, I was treating her like every other student. Once she told me, I felt awful. I wished she'd told me up front so I could take that into consideration.

Basically, I think a student should disclose up front, at least to a teacher. What makes the difference for me (in how I respond) is how the student presents it, uses it, and expects or does not expect "special treatment" on account of it. A good teacher will know where a student with a learning disorder needs extra attention or special leniency and where s/he does not. A student who tries to use the learning disorder excuse to get a better grade on something that the learning disorder should have no effect on is clearly abusing the diagnosis. But most LD students I've had have not done this (only one has, in fact). When a student tells me s/he has a learning disorder, I don't just accept it and start giving the student 'A's on everything. I look for consistent signs that the disorder really is there. If I see them, then I offer whatever extra help I think the student needs to be on a par with the other students. I expect that the student have as good an attitude and as much respect for class policies as any other student, and that s/he respect the accommodations I am and am not willing to make. If s/he doesn't, then we have a problem. At my university, there is an office for students with disabilities that mediates any such disputes. Thank God, they are very fair and reasonable and are always willing to help me understand anything I don't about the student's disorder, but they also insist that the student respect my policies, provided they are reasonable for the student's limitations.

So, I'd say: Disclose if you want to, but know that, provided you have good teachers, disclosure is usually the best way to go. It doesn't mean you'll get "special treatment" across the board, and it doesn't necessarily mean the teacher will view you as less able in every activity you undertake. If your disorder is rare, then I suggest disclosing with some extra info (a little brochure or web link or one-page explanation, etc.). Disclosing up front will likely save your teacher from the awful guilt s/he'd feel if you chose to disclose only once you thought it'd become relevant. If you do that, the teacher then has to live with the fact that s/he may have been unfair to you for a very long time.