An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Conundrum

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

What do you do if there is absolutely no way you can attend Sunday Mass? I'm going on a cruise the latter part of next year. Of course I'm going to investigate if they have a chapel, or if a priest is on board who's happy to hold Mass in his quarters or a reserved space. But what if that's not the case? I've heard something about a dispensation but I don't really know what that entails.

Your local pastor has the authority granted by canon law to dispense you of your sunday obligation.

My daughter was born at 1am on a Sunday morning, and I decided it'd be best if I were home with my wife as she was on bedrest rather then attend the 5:30pm mass. I called my priest, got a dispensation from my Sunday obligation, and asked if he could come pray with us and bring communion later that day if he was available.

In my particular circumstance I may not have needed a dispensation due to caring for the infirmed... but I called just in case :).

HisChildForever

Your local pastor has the authority granted by canon law to dispense you of your sunday obligation.

I didn't realize it was that "easy" - do I need to mention it well ahead of time, or do I just receive a blessing once I explain the situation?

HisChildForever

In my particular circumstance I may not have needed a dispensation due to caring for the infirmed... but I called just in case :).

I would hope lol!

Not sure... I only did it once and it was a short notice thing for me due to circumstances. You might just ask your local pastor about it and inform him of the situation.

The only other time I missed sunday mass knowingly beforehand was when I was flying to China on a Sunday. 12 hours on a plane and 12 hour time change meant all of Sunday was literally spent on an airplane. That time I didn't specifically ask for a dispensation but I recieved counseling from my spiritual director on what I should do in that circumstance.

HisChildForever

Curious to hear the response to this. I just thought we weren't allowed to go if there wasn't access to Mass. :\

I think that holds true if, say, you planned to go to Mass on vacation but when you got to the location you couldn't find a church (before masstimes.org lolol). But if you know ahead of time that you won't be able to attend you need to seek the dispensation.

HisChildForever

I think that holds true if, say, you planned to go to Mass on vacation but when you got to the location you couldn't find a church (before masstimes.org lolol). But if you know ahead of time that you won't be able to attend you need to seek the dispensation.

Oops I misread your post lol

Canon 1245 is the canon related to dispensations of obligations. Sunday is considered a feast day, so read the text in that light.

One of the things it says is that a pastor can grant a commutation to another pious work (maybe ask about getting a commutation to pray specific offices of liturgy of the hours and read the Sunday readings for the day?). It does state that it should be for a just cause, and I don't know what would fall under a just cause clause.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Not sure... I only did it once and it was a short notice thing for me due to circumstances. You might just ask your local pastor about it and inform him of the situation.

The only other time I missed sunday mass knowingly beforehand was when I was flying to China on a Sunday. 12 hours on a plane and 12 hour time change meant all of Sunday was literally spent on an airplane. That time I didn't specifically ask for a dispensation but I recieved counseling from my spiritual director on what I should do in that circumstance.

I have had to have several dispensations due to travel, usually due to military obligations, but in any case...The Pastor usually has assigned me to spend time in prayer on the Holy Day and reflect on the readings and pray the LOTH, attending a daily Mass either before or after the first chance I get.

HisChildForever

Canon 1245 is the canon related to dispensations of obligations. Sunday is considered a feast day, so read the text in that light.

One of the things it says is that a pastor can grant a commutation to another pious work (maybe ask about getting a commutation to pray specific offices of liturgy of the hours and read the Sunday readings for the day?). It does state that it should be for a just cause, and I don't know what would fall under a just cause clause.

A cruise isn't exactly just cause...

If there is no Mass available in a place you are visiting, or if you are unable to attend Mass through no fault of your own, you do not commit mortal sin by missing Mass.  I suggest speaking to your travel agent and ask for assistance in planning to attend Mass while on the trip. Then you will know for sure whether or not going to Mass while on the trip is possible.

A cruise isn't exactly just cause...

That depends on if you look at the reason why you are in a location that does not offer mass on Sunday, or the fact that you will be in a location where attending mass is impossible.

Skipping because the mass you like to go to is at the same time as the Packers vs. Bears game would not be just cause, nor would the lack of mass being offered in the extraordinary form be just cause.

I'm not a canon lawyer so I don't know if the reason why you cannot physically attend mass needs to be just, or if not being able to physically attend mass in itself is just cause.

HisChildForever

If there is no Mass available in a place you are visiting, or if you are unable to attend Mass through no fault of your own, you do not commit mortal sin by missing Mass.  I suggest speaking to your travel agent and ask for assistance in planning to attend Mass while on the trip. Then you will know for sure whether or not going to Mass while on the trip is possible.

That depends on if you look at the reason why you are in a location that does not offer mass on Sunday, or the fact that you will be in a location where attending mass is impossible.

Skipping because the mass you like to go to is at the same time as the Packers vs. Bears game would not be just cause, nor would the lack of mass being offered in the extraordinary form be just cause.

I'm not a canon lawyer so I don't know if the reason why you cannot physically attend mass needs to be just, or if not being able to physically attend mass in itself is just cause.

I'm going to investigate the ports we stop at and see if there's a church nearby (in a safe area) and if the timing will work out.