An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Conundrum

HisChildForever

I'm going to investigate the ports we stop at and see if there's a church nearby (in a safe area) and if the timing will work out.

Yes. The key is to do your best to find and attend Mass. Only you will know if it is feasible to make it. Hope you find one you can attend. Good luck.

I lived for a semester in a remote locale where I was unable to go to Mass and had no means to transportation to a place where I could go to Mass. I talked to my parish priest beforehand and he said I should spend some quiet time on Sundays meditating on the Mass readings. 

Not having access to Mass does not mean we shouldn't go somewhere - we just need to discern what is best in each situation, and ask for guidance when needed.

I lived for a semester in a remote locale where I was unable to go to Mass and had no means to transportation to a place where I could go to Mass. I talked to my parish priest beforehand and he said I should spend some quiet time on Sundays meditating on the Mass readings.

Not having access to Mass does not mean we shouldn't go somewhere - we just need to discern what is best in each situation, and ask for guidance when needed.

Yikes. How remote are we talking anyway?

PhuturePriest

I didn't realize it was that "easy" - do I need to mention it well ahead of time, or do I just receive a blessing once I explain the situation?

Once we got a dispensation and we got it right before we left on our trip. Just make sure you speak with the Priest. I would recommend against calling at the last minute to make sure you get a hold of a Priest, but in theory you can do this. It's not like he has to bless you with holy oils or anything.

Yikes. How remote are we talking anyway?

It was a 3 hour drive on a gravel logging road to the nearest town that had a Catholic Church - and I think that church only had Mass some weekends.  Crazy Canadian rainforest outback.

It was a 3 hour drive on a gravel logging road to the nearest town that had a Catholic Church - and I think that church only had Mass some weekends. Crazy Canadian rainforest outback.

Brutal. Far northern BC?

Ah, neat. Beautiful area at least.

Most definitely! 

It is interesting how God works though - my 3.5 months without Mass then convinced me not to do a Catholic volunteer program which may have placed me in a location where I would be without Mass for more than a year. Having the experience of missing the tremendous graces we receive in Mass has made me that much more aware of what a blessing it is. God certainly knows what He's doing! ;)

It is common for priests to offer mass on cruises because many cruise lines hook priests up with complimentary tickets in exchange for their service. I heard it's one of the favorite things to do for retired priests! Call the cruise line and check.

Wow, I had no idea that Holland America did that. Very cool.

There have been times when I too have been unable to attend mass due to travel and or business reasons.  Once I even had the experience of not having Sunday in my week.(crossing the dateline can make entire days disappear from ones life.) I when I discovered the problem, I spoke with my priest about it and he was able to give me dispensation.  

HisChildForever

Thanks for everyone's responses - it's obvious that I can try a bunch of things. I looked up the cruise line via Dust's link and it seems they only offer Mass during the major Christian holidays.