An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Ship Without A Sail...

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

Hi.

You might remember me, but by a different name. I used to be called "fidei defensor." 

I've had a long and confusing journey over the years. But now I feel like I'm in a ship without a sail. I've gone from believing in God beyond doubt, had creeping doubts, became a confessed atheist…and now, I don't know. 

I love the Church. I am still fascinated by it. On my recent trip to Rome, the best part was visiting all the beautiful churches and getting to see the Vatican.

However, I just don't know whether I'm ready to accept and believe completely in God again. I am very scientifically minded and though I know that doesn't mean I have to exclude faith and spirituality, I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around things I can't observe and completely understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and that i'm going to lurk around and observe. And hopefully learn a thing or two.

Hi.

You might remember me, but by a different name. I used to be called "fidei defensor." 

I've had a long and confusing journey over the years. But now I feel like I'm in a ship without a sail. I've gone from believing in God beyond doubt, had creeping doubts, became a confessed atheist…and now, I don't know. 

I love the Church. I am still fascinated by it. On my recent trip to Rome, the best part was visiting all the beautiful churches and getting to see the Vatican.

However, I just don't know whether I'm ready to accept and believe completely in God again. I am very scientifically minded and though I know that doesn't mean I have to exclude faith and spirituality, I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around things I can't observe and completely understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and that i'm going to lurk around and observe. And hopefully learn a thing or two.

so good to see you :) you are always a part of the phamily. 

Fidei Defensor

The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous.

That's something I can definitely get behind.

Basilisa Marie

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.  The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don't always spoil the good things or make them unimportant. 

And you have the greatest username ever.  You're my new best friend.   :saint2:

So here is what is striking me about this post.

You said that you feel like a ship without a sail. Obviously as a scientifically minded person you know all about chemical imbalances and depression and whatnot.

So my honest question is what draws you from feeling kind of crap, to potentially wondering about God again? I seem to remember from talking to you before that you had put a lot of thought into your choice to reject theism, so at least for a time you must have had the rational arguments more or less lined up. But I feel like those post indicates that you are not 'reasoning' yourself back towards faith. It seems like something else is pulling you to question where you are right now. What is it?

What is it about this particular period of depression or listlessness, or whatever you want to call it, that is making you reconsider faith?

Also how's the health doing? I remember you have..... colitis? IBS? Just curious because I have Crohn's. :)

Edited by Nihil Obstat