An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poker

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

So I've been getting more into poker lately-Texas Hold'em No Limit to be precise.

Anyone else fans of the game?

I've recently started playing on PokerStars.net and reawakened my account on FullTilt Poker......not for real money thanks to the US government arbitrarily protecting special interest groups <_<

I play conservative, and have learned to fold cards that seem good but are really not like A4, K2, or 96 suited in a 4+ person setting.

Anyone have any books they suggest or play online anywhere?

I technically prefer to play on FullTilt as I like the interface better, but right now there are a lot more people on PokerStars although you can't see past hands with play money unlike FullTilt:( .

I also don't like Poker Stars because they almost don't have enough time at the end of a round to look at your opponents cards and compare them to the cards on the table.

I do play Texas Hold'em No Limit with some people for $1 buy-in with about 4 others.  That's a lot of fun, as it's small stakes, but everyone takes it serious enough for it to be fun. :blues:

When I have some small group of like 4 people, I think it's generally more fun with something like a $5 buy-in.  It's less than you'd spend going out to a bar or a movie or out to dinner, and then the winner gets $20.  a $4 pot doesn't really interest me haha.

I've never played online, though.

eagle_eye222001

When I have some small group of like 4 people, I think it's generally more fun with something like a $5 buy-in.  It's less than you'd spend going out to a bar or a movie or out to dinner, and then the winner gets $20.  a $4 pot doesn't really interest me haha.

I've never played online, though.

Well, I'm one of the few who would be willing to pay $5.  One guy does it purely for social reasons so he has no interest in paying more than a dollar, and the others are fine with a dollar since we play virtually every week.

It's fine with me though as pretty much everyone plays seriously most of the time so its still fun.

I do agree that $5 is better though.

I like poker, but not enough to play online. I've played in little social games a few times. I can hold my own well enough.

A few years ago I worked in a group with a guy who was pretty big into the online poker games. Really interesting to watch how he played. He would minimum raise every chance he got, no matter what he had, then either fold or go all in depending on how his cards were.

He told me about about the stakes he played with. He would regularly be up or down a thousand dollars on any given night. Kind of crazy.

eagle_eye222001

He would regularly be up or down a thousand dollars on any given night. Kind of crazy.

If you can stand to lose that much....$5 is about as much as I'm willing to lose on any given night.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I play on a regular basis with poker consisting of a good portion of income raised during my college years...Doyle Brunson's Power Poker is the legendary book on Poker I would suggest starting there, but I have many others on my shelf as well. I found it beneficial to my game when I sat and logically developed 6 different playing styles with rules for hand selection, betting structure ect. It's like developing a play book for football. Having the multiple styles allows you to flow from one to another if you think someone is getting a read on your style and you are needing to set up a trap...

As a side note, when I play for money...I think it is important to have a good idea of who you are playing. I think it is of great importance not to play against people who may have an addiction to gambling, risking money that is necessary for living expenses ect. Poker money should come from excess capital. I got started by saving every bit of entertainment money I had been spending and in about 3 months I had $300 and started playing with that...I was willing to take money out of my poker pot, but not adding anything into it unless specifically cutting from my budget for that expense.

eagle_eye222001

I play on a regular basis with poker consisting of a good portion of income raised during my college years...Doyle Brunson's Power Poker is the legendary book on Poker I would suggest starting there, but I have many others on my shelf as well. I found it beneficial to my game when I sat and logically developed 6 different playing styles with rules for hand selection, betting structure ect. It's like developing a play book for football. Having the multiple styles allows you to flow from one to another if you think someone is getting a read on your style and you are needing to set up a trap...

As a side note, when I play for money...I think it is important to have a good idea of who you are playing. I think it is of great importance not to play against people who may have an addiction to gambling, risking money that is necessary for living expenses ect. Poker money should come from excess capital. I got started by saving every bit of entertainment money I had been spending and in about 3 months I had $300 and started playing with that...I was willing to take money out of my poker pot, but not adding anything into it unless specifically cutting from my budget for that expense.

I like the idea of developing different play-styles like in football.

And this is part of the reason I like poker, because you have to exercise discipline in what hands you play or fold.  One simple rule I've been trying out when I'm online at a table with 8 other people is to only play hands where both cards are over 7.

Good advice on who to play with and what money to use!  Don't want to win someone's rent money or burn through your own cash you can't afford to lose.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I would say that is an EXTREMELY loose playing style...for an 8 handed table here is a very basic hand selection set that I use...Card Are playing only if they are J-7 or better, this mean bottom starting sets are Q-8, K-9, A-10... This allows the possibilities of straights if you hit 3 gut shot cards...I will almost always play suited connectors, and sometime connectors. If I am going to play a hand I will always make sure pre-flop bet is 3-4 times the big blind, unless I am a blind myself and want to conceal the strength of my hand. I should note that free online poker plays considerably different than real live action. Also using this model you are going to just plain fold 75-80% of hands outright pre-flop...a lot of those you will end up saying " oh geese, I could have won that hand..." This gets into the discipline you talked about, playing and winning with good hands in my opinion is just an important part of the game.

I grew up learning to play seven card stud. I loved watching my 4'8" tall grandmother take her Marine and Army sons in law to the cleaners. She had this little giggle when she swept the chips towards her. People don't like playing with me though.

eagle_eye222001

I would say that is an EXTREMELY loose playing style...for an 8 handed table here is a very basic hand selection set that I use...Card Are playing only if they are J-7 or better, this mean bottom starting sets are Q-8, K-9, A-10... This allows the possibilities of straights if you hit 3 gut shot cards...I will almost always play suited connectors, and sometime connectors. If I am going to play a hand I will always make sure pre-flop bet is 3-4 times the big blind, unless I am a blind myself and want to conceal the strength of my hand. I should note that free online poker plays considerably different than real live action. Also using this model you are going to just plain fold 75-80% of hands outright pre-flop...a lot of those you will end up saying " oh geese, I could have won that hand..." This gets into the discipline you talked about, playing and winning with good hands in my opinion is just an important part of the game.

Interesting idea on playing J7+, Q8+, K9+ or better for 8 people.  I like it.

I grew up learning to play seven card stud. I loved watching my 4'8" tall grandmother take her Marine and Army sons in law to the cleaners. She had this little giggle when she swept the chips towards her. People don't like playing with me though.

Win too much ? 

I live out in Vegas and play for living...Been out here 3 years now...

AWESOME!   :blues:   How have you been doing?  Any tips for someone looking to advance beyond the casual game?

I miss pokerstars :(

I still play occasionally, freerolls on a site called intertops  I heard about them when I found a free sports betting contest years ago on intertops.net.

Edited by Tony

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Is online gambling still illegal in the US?

The Obama Admin is trying to shut it down...Currently the issue is tied up in the court system, a and injunctions against the practice of online gambling have been placed. There are still site where you can play free games tho.