An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm A Late Bloomer...

Freedom

Erin Kathleen Holmes

We have a perpetual adoration chapel out at the farm I intern at and I wish Jesus was exposed more often but I love going there and praying :)

Edited by Erin Kathleen Holmes

ToJesusMyHeart

My favorite way to spend an hour in Adoration is just to gaze into the eyes of Jesus as He gazes into mine, and to ponder the love with which He gazes at me.

Thank you all for your time, I appreciate it.  I have a better idea now :)

If anyone else would like to share what you like to do during adoration, please feel free.

NonNovi - great translation, I couldn't even tell it was translated.

eagle_eye222001

When I go to adoration for an hour, I generally pray the Rosary once, read some part of the Bible I haven't read in a long time or ever, or read some spiritual book ranging from G.K. Chesterton to something else.

Sometimes I just sit there or kneel there.

[spoiler]And if life has been sucking really bad, I cry and silently yell at God. :cuss: [/spoiler]

I contemplate what's been going on and where to go from there.

I treat it like HQ of an army.  It's a place to chill and plan out your next move with God. :idea2:

And a couple times I doze off like the Apostles..... :judge:

I think the most important thing is to be with God. If you find yourself worrying about a future situation or thinking about what your plans are later invite God into that. No matter what your are thinking about if you conciously let God into that process then you are praying, in Adoration there is another piece know that not only are you allowing God into your thoughts but that you are in the physical presence of God. I guess the best analogy is sitting down with someone versus talking to them on the phone.

And don't worry if you fall asleep from time to time. In most cases I think that is the Lord trying to tell you that you need to slow down and rest in His arms for a bit.

AwedbyHisGrace

I'm pretty new to going to adoration regularly myself, so I can't really give you any "recommendations" but I really appreciate everything you guys have mentioned (: I'm going to have to take a look at some of these books myself! 

My time in adoration isn't very structured at all. I mostly just talk to Jesus. Sometimes I get distracted so I like to read reflections about or just think about His presence to remind myself that He is really there.  I also like to sing hymns (in my head of course :P ) and look through the hymnal too.

I usually start to stare at the monstrance, and then words will pop into my head. Look at Him, realise who He is and start "talking" to Him. You can say everything you want, just lay it in His hands. To prevent your mind from wandering off, it's useful to have some sort of text to guide you. I used this one from Saint Antonius Maria Claret for the first time this week. It's great and very personal, it took me definitely more than 15 minutes (wich was not bad).

I had to translate it from German to English (both not my native language), so I'm sorry if it's not very fluent or if there are mistakes in it. I'm sure you'll understand the general picture.

That was beautiful :love: Thanks for sharing it and translating it.  I am going to bring that with me next time I go to adoration :)

Edited by AwedbyHisGrace

LouisvilleFan

Thank you all for your time, I appreciate it.  I have a better idea now :)

If anyone else would like to share what you like to do during adoration, please feel free.

One of my favorite quotes related to Adoration comes from a peasant telling St. John Vianney, "I look at him and he looks at me." It reminds me of the "old married couple" relationship that has become so familiar that there is no need for anything more than being in each others' presence.

For me, I used to struggle with struggles of my daily life just popping into my head while I was there.  A friend of mine used to tell me to offer all of those struggles and worries and to ask Him to take those from me while I am at adoration.  I put them all at the foot of the alter and leave them.  Just that frees me to just seat and be totally with Jesus.  

Sometimes I will pull out a rosary but mostly I just sit in His presence.  Being able to sit in the presence of my creator, my savior, my everything is just amazing.  

I know the question was not what I do but adoration is individual.  There is no right or wrong. there is no prescribed formula.  Just go and be with Him.

Can we move this to transmundance lane or open mic?

Anyway, I love just sitting there and staring. I usual end up leaning against a wall because I find myself mooning over him like a little school girl (but deeper than that). If there is no one in there ill talk out loud and sometimes yell. (Sadly our perpetual adoration chapel is lacking adorers). I journal, read, pray, and talk.

NonNovi-That was wonderful! Thank you! I mentioned this before in another thread. Does anybody else have a adoration chapel that has a combo lock on the door in order to get in?? Also, our chapel's monstrance is without it's Luna! Benediction and Devotion on EWTN show the father's taking the luna out from the tabernacle and inserting into the monstrance. After..they are done, they remove it and put in back in the tabernacle. I dont wish to seem like I am being disrespectful..yet Ill be honest looking at our monstrance is abit distracting during adoration. What are your feelings, and or suggestions. (I havent mentioned it to our pastor yet.)

ChristinaTherese

Does anybody else have a adoration chapel that has a combo lock on the door in order to get in??

Yep. All of the Adoration chapels I go to (I'm a college student, so there are at least two, and then I go to school in a city, so I end up with three) have number pad locks (not the official term) on the doors. Being open in the middle of the night, two of them have to.... Although I don't know what the reason for the lock on the third door is, but I'd guess that it's just a sad result of being in a city. :cry: But at least we get Adoration!  :nun:

Edited by Christina Thérèse

NonNovi-That was wonderful! Thank you! I mentioned this before in another thread. Does anybody else have a adoration chapel that has a combo lock on the door in order to get in?? Also, our chapel's monstrance is without it's Luna! Benediction and Devotion on EWTN show the father's taking the luna out from the tabernacle and inserting into the monstrance. After..they are done, they remove it and put in back in the tabernacle. I dont wish to seem like I am being disrespectful..yet Ill be honest looking at our monstrance is abit distracting during adoration. What are your feelings, and or suggestions. (I havent mentioned it to our pastor yet.)

The Perpetual Adoration chapel near me has a keypad that looks like a pay phone.  They keep the chapel unlocked during the day but it automatically locks at 4:30pm and then unlocks at 6:30am.