An Old School Catholic Message Board

Celiac-sprue Disease

OnlySunshine

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been diagnosed with Celiac disease?  I came across a fact sheet tonight when I was looking at something else and, because I know very little about the disease, I decided to just read through it out of sheer curiosity.  However, I was really surprised when I realized I have a lot of the symptoms!  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism earlier this year and started taking Synthroid but, even though my levels are normal, I still have low energy.

For those who were diagnosed, how did you get a diagnosis?  What tests did the doctor do?  I'm thinking about asking my doctor to test me for this.  I'm even considering an experiment with a gluten-free diet just to see if I feel better.

Celiac is very strange. Not the disease itself, but the fact that a decade ago, the layman had never heard of it, but today more people have it than don't. I frankly don't buy that everyone who says they have it actually do have it.

Celiac is very strange. Not the disease itself, but the fact that a decade ago, the layman had never heard of it, but today more people have it than don't. I frankly don't buy that everyone who says they have it actually do have it.

A former parishioner had a son that had severe gluten intolerance and had to receive a gluten-free host.  He would break out in a rash any time he would consume gluten or it would touch his skin.

Apparently, there are two antibody tests for the Celiac disease.

carmenchristi

I'm no doctor or environmental expert, but my guess would be that more people have it because of all the icky things that we consume unknowingly like pesticides hormones etc. it's also true that a few decades ago, cancer was far more uncommon than it is today. The health of the general population is declining because of all this junk and pollution. And no, I'm not a hippie tree hugger.

So yeah, maybe some people are just hypochondriacs, but the fact that it is now, all of a sudden, a common disease is not surprising. Same thing with nut allergies and lactose intolerance etc. etc.

I'm no doctor or environmental expert, but my guess would be that more people have it because of all the icky things that we consume unknowingly like pesticides hormones etc. it's also true that a few decades ago, cancer was far more uncommon than it is today. The health of the general population is declining because of all this junk and pollution. And no, I'm not a hippie tree hugger.

So yeah, maybe some people are just hypochondriacs, but the fact that it is now, all of a sudden, a common disease is not surprising. Same thing with nut allergies and lactose intolerance etc. etc.

The strange thing is that lactose intolerance can, in some cases, be caused by gluten intolerance!  Very strange, if you ask me.  I actually have lactose intolerance for which I have to take Lactaid tablets for anytime I eat dairy otherwise I get a whole host of abdominal issues and it's not fun to deal with, esp. stomach aches.

It is estimated that 1 in 133 people in the United States has the condition, although many don't know that they do.  In addition, people who have Celiac disease may be prone to developing other diseases, such as thyroid disease, type 1 diabetes, and gastrointestinal cancer.

Celiac disease

I know loads of people who claim to have it, and none of them have even got as far as having the tests done. It seems to be one of those 'in vogue' things to have at present - often not too serious, but enough to let you have a grumble about it. I feel sorry for the folks who actually do have it.

My sister has Celiac Disease, she had a blood test taken (in Ontario, Canada it cost $150 for the blood test, not sure how much it is elsewhere). When the blood test came back positive they sent her in for an exam of her small intestine to see if there was damage to her intestines (Celiac causes damage to the digestive track, but is healed over time when gluten is taken from the diet). She then met with a dietitian after the damage was found. My entire family had to take the blood test, especially me as I have similar symptoms to my sister, fortunately we all came back with negative results;however, I have read that the blood test isn't a guarantee and its best to get the scope of your intestines done. 

A lot of people claim they have Celiac/gluten intolerance as it is the latest diet fad. Most of these people think giving up gluten means giving up bread and pasta. No one should give up gluten unless they have either Celiac or a real intolerance, cutting major food groups to lose weight is harmful and insulting to people who have no choice. Gluten can be found in many things, some things you wouldn't even think it would be in. Key ingredients to avoid when grocery shopping are gluten, wheat, or malt. Malt can be found in Rice Crispies, candy, malt vinegar, etc. Wheat is often found in cheaper foods as a filler, so be careful when buying things like pre-made hamburgers, sausages, and hot dogs. Gluten/wheat can be found in some soy sauces, I even found a can of tuna with wheat filler in it once. If you do have Celiac you must learn to carefully read all ingredients. 

I wouldn't cut gluten without speaking to a doctor about medical testing and a nutritionist about changing your diet. Once you eliminate gluten, you will need to find alternative sources to necessary nutrients that are usually found in wheat products (like fiber for instance) and they will also give you more information on what foods to avoid. 

Good luck! 

I would warn against trying to self-diagnose. If you are genuinely concerned, then of course go to your doctor but looking at symptom lists is just never a good idea. 

Also, maybe ask to get your iron and ferratin (the hormone that stores iron in the body) checked. I have low ferratin levels and thus low iron as my body cannot store enough, so I am always feeling tired/slow/etc, unless I take supplements (I have to take at least 2 a day). 

But I agree with EmilyAnn, self diagnosis is never the best way to go. There are so many illnesses with the same symptoms (some more serious than others), that there is never a guaranteed diagnosis without a doctor running actual tests.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been diagnosed with Celiac disease?  I came across a fact sheet tonight when I was looking at something else and, because I know very little about the disease, I decided to just read through it out of sheer curiosity.  However, I was really surprised when I realized I have a lot of the symptoms!  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism earlier this year and started taking Synthroid but, even though my levels are normal, I still have low energy.

For those who were diagnosed, how did you get a diagnosis?  What tests did the doctor do?  I'm thinking about asking my doctor to test me for this.  I'm even considering an experiment with a gluten-free diet just to see if I feel better.

Okay, so, I have it. I got a blood test but the funny thing with the blood test is that it's not always accurate. So, my blood test came out negative. But, I am normal when I am on a GF diet but when ever I eat gluten I feel like I'm gonna die. so yeah... experimenting with your diet is the best way in my opinion. If you want to know for sure you can get a colonoscopy but that's horible and yeah... ewww...

Just to be clear, I did not go looking for the symptom list.  I actually tell others not to do that.  I thought it was interesting that I have so many of the symptoms so I thought I'd ask.  :)

Spem in alium

My neighbour has coeliac and has been very sick. I stay away from a lot of gluten myself, it tends to make me feel unwell.

I wish I could change the topic title to "Gluten Sensitivity/Intolerance."  :blush:

On that note, I was in the mood for pizza tonight so I ordered from Domino's.  I found out from the order page that they have a gluten-free crust and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder what that takes like?"  I got it with beef and spinach and it was GOOD!  The crust was nice and crispy just how I like it.  I think I could get used to this.  :)

A lot of people claim they have Celiac/gluten intolerance as it is the latest diet fad. Most of these people think giving up gluten means giving up bread and pasta. No one should give up gluten unless they have either Celiac or a real intolerance, cutting major food groups to lose weight is harmful and insulting to people who have no choice. Gluten can be found in many things, some things you wouldn't even think it would be in. Key ingredients to avoid when grocery shopping are gluten, wheat, or malt. Malt can be found in Rice Crispies, candy, malt vinegar, etc. Wheat is often found in cheaper foods as a filler, so be careful when buying things like pre-made hamburgers, sausages, and hot dogs. Gluten/wheat can be found in some soy sauces, I even found a can of tuna with wheat filler in it once. If you do have Celiac you must learn to carefully read all ingredients.

I wouldn't cut gluten without speaking to a doctor about medical testing and a nutritionist about changing your diet. Once you eliminate gluten, you will need to find alternative sources to necessary nutrients that are usually found in wheat products (like fiber for instance) and they will also give you more information on what foods to avoid.
Yeah I had a wheat intolorace when I was around 12 ( I found this out at califonia adventure >.< and the morning after) but I was able to eat glutun. I had horrable stomach pains and shakes. I thought I was going to die! but Luckly I was young enough to grow out of it.
Good luck! [/quote][quote name="MaterMisericordiae" post="2523588" time="1355386834"]A former parishioner had a son that had severe gluten intolerance and had to receive a gluten-free host. He would break out in a rash any time he would consume gluten or it would touch his skin.
They have those!!!!!! I was so bad that I couldnt have even that much wheat with out feeling like I was going to die!!! I wish I knew!
Apparently, there are two antibody tests for the Celiac disease.[/quote][quote name="MaterMisericordiae" post="2523608" time="1355398932"]The strange thing is that lactose intolerance can, in some cases, be caused by gluten intolerance! Very strange, if you ask me. I actually have lactose intolerance for which I have to take Lactaid tablets for anytime I eat dairy otherwise I get a whole host of abdominal issues and it's not fun to deal with, esp. stomach aches.
Another things that causes gluten cells is sugar and caffene among others. A friend of mine has to go off anything related to gluten.