An Old School Catholic Message Board

Celiac-sprue Disease

OnlySunshine

A lot of people claim they have Celiac/gluten intolerance as it is the latest diet fad. Most of these people think giving up gluten means giving up bread and pasta. No one should give up gluten unless they have either Celiac or a real intolerance, cutting major food groups to lose weight is harmful and insulting to people who have no choice. Gluten can be found in many things, some things you wouldn't even think it would be in. Key ingredients to avoid when grocery shopping are gluten, wheat, or malt. Malt can be found in Rice Crispies, candy, malt vinegar, etc. Wheat is often found in cheaper foods as a filler, so be careful when buying things like pre-made hamburgers, sausages, and hot dogs. Gluten/wheat can be found in some soy sauces, I even found a can of tuna with wheat filler in it once. If you do have Celiac you must learn to carefully read all ingredients.

I wouldn't cut gluten without speaking to a doctor about medical testing and a nutritionist about changing your diet. Once you eliminate gluten, you will need to find alternative sources to necessary nutrients that are usually found in wheat products (like fiber for instance) and they will also give you more information on what foods to avoid.
Yeah I had a wheat intolorace when I was around 12 ( I found this out at califonia adventure >.< and the morning after) but I was able to eat glutun. I had horrable stomach pains and shakes. I thought I was going to die! but Luckly I was young enough to grow out of it.
Good luck!

The strange thing is that lactose intolerance can, in some cases, be caused by gluten intolerance! Very strange, if you ask me. I actually have lactose intolerance for which I have to take Lactaid tablets for anytime I eat dairy otherwise I get a whole host of abdominal issues and it's not fun to deal with, esp. stomach aches.
Another things that causes gluten cells is sugar and caffene among others. A friend of mine has to go off anything related to gluten.

your quote tags got all messed up, and i have no idea what is your postings. :blink:

This is what i wrote:
Yeah i had a wheat intolerance when I was around 10 (I found this out at california adventure as well as the morning after >.<) but i was able to eat gluten. I had horrible stomach aches and shakes. I thought I was going to die! But luckily I was young enough to grow out of it.

Some other thing that causes gluten cells are sugar and caffene. A frend of mine has to go off everything related to gluten.

I did not know they had gluten free hosts! I could not even consume that much wheat without feeling like im going to die! I wish I had known that!!! =(

Some other thing that causes gluten cells are sugar and caffene. A frend of mine has to go off everything related to gluten.

I'm not sure you understand fully what gluten is...

I'm not sure you understand fully what gluten is...

Yes I do know what it means. And what I said is true. She did some research and has put herself on a diet of no wheat, dairy, sugar or caffine. She feels much better now because of it.

Yes I do know what it means. And what I said is true. She did some research and has put herself on a diet of no wheat, dairy, sugar or caffine. She feels much better now because of it.

I'm glad that she feels better, but gluten has nothing to do with dairy, sugar, or caffeine. Gluten is a specific kind of protein found in certain species of grain.

That sounds more like a cleansing diet or an elimination diet than gluten being related to sugar and caffeine.  I'm not saying you are a liar, but I think your friend is misinformed.  A lot of people do a cleansing diet to get rid of allergens or toxins in their system.  Sugar, caffeine, dairy, and wheat are considered toxins that you must remove due to this diet.  However, sugar and caffeine do not turn into gluten in your body.  It's impossible.  Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat and rye.  Table sugar, unless it is manufactured in a plant that produces wheat products, does not contain gluten or wheat.  Caffeine is a stimulant found in soda, coffee, tea, chocolate, and energy drinks.  It does not contain gluten or wheat, as well, and cannot change into either of them in the body.  ;)

28 Day Detox Diet that Cuts out Sugar, Wheat, Gluten, Alcohol & Caffeine

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

LadyOfSorrows

I have a gluten intolerance. It is more common than one may think. Wheat is very different than it was years ago in that much of it has been genetically modified. Our bodies are not accustomed to this kind of wheat we are being exposed to today. My doctor said that he recommends that most people go gluten-free even if they don't have an intolerance, or at least limit gluten intake. Gluten is in everything! Not just pastas and breads. I had to eliminate most soups and dressings from my diet as well.

I was diagnosed by taking a blood test which showed that I was indeed reacting to gluten but was not positive for celiac. I did realize something was wrong when for months and months I felt sick and just overall unwell after eating meals. ginger tea became my best friend... I thought it may have just been stress. I went off gluten after the diagnosis and realized that I felt so much better and didn't have any stomachaches after meals. I did this for seven months. I have started reintroducing some gluten back into my diet and while I can have very light dustings of flour, anymore messes up my digestive system.

If you are not sure if you're gluten intolerant or celiac, ask for a blood test. Although, even these can be sometimes inconclusive. The best way to know is to give up gluten for a couple of days or even a week and see how you feel. I noticed a difference right away :-) but it can take many months to completely rid of it from your system. In reality, today's gluten is not the same as the gluten we had

LadyOfSorrows

I have a gluten intolerance. It is more common than one may think. Wheat is very different than it was years ago in that much of it has been genetically modified. Our bodies are not accustomed to this kind of wheat we are being exposed to today. My doctor said that he recommends that most people go gluten-free even if they don't have an intolerance, or at least limit gluten intake. Gluten is in everything! Not just pastas and breads. I had to eliminate most soups and dressings from my diet as well.

I was diagnosed by taking a blood test which showed that I was indeed reacting to gluten but was not positive for celiac. I did realize something was wrong when for months and months I felt sick and just overall unwell after eating meals. ginger tea became my best friend... I thought it may have just been stress. I went off gluten after the diagnosis and realized that I felt so much better and didn't have any stomachaches after meals. I did this for seven months. I have started reintroducing some gluten back into my diet and while I can have very light dustings of flour, anymore messes up my digestive system.

If you are not sure if you're gluten intolerant or celiac, ask for a blood test. Although, even these can be sometimes inconclusive. The best way to know is to give up gluten for a couple of days or even a week and see how you feel. I noticed a difference right away :-) but it can take many months to completely rid of it from your system. In reality, today's gluten is not the same as the gluten we had

LadyOfSorrows

Sorry! My phone cut off my post. Gluten today is not as it should be and it actually drains the body of nutrients. It may be a fad for some but it's not a bad one. Could be much worse.