Lil Red Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 (edited) putting this here: (AND SINCE SOME PEOPLE CAN'T READ, ALL THE BELOW IS QUOTED FROM THE LINKED BLOG ARTICLE AND NOT WRITTEN BY ME) http://www.corneredcat.com/its-about-love/ An anti-gun friend of mine (yes, I have them too) wrote this on Facebook: “I am more than happy to sacrifice my own individual rights for a greater good…†The implication being, of course, that in order to protect our families and our communities, we must give up some of our rights, including the right to own and use effective tools for protecting ourselves and our loved ones. What I wonder is, would this person be equally willing to exercise her rights for the greater good? Because, you see, when we choose to protect ourselves, our families, and the people we love, we are acting for the greater good of our communities. By being prepared to stop violent acts, we are helping the people around us stay safe, and we are lowering the risk of violence happening at all. “Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean,†wrote Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Let each responsible adult prepare to protect herself and the people around her, and the violent crime rate drops. Make it illegal or difficult for ordinary people to defend themselves, and violent crime rates go up. We don’t carry firearms to protect the whole world, but our willingness to defend ourselves does have a protective effect on the people around us. And that brings us to the nasty little implication hidden in my friend’s sentence. It’s an accusation that you and I own firearms only as an act of selfishness. We only want to keep our rights because they’re ours, and we don’t care about the people around us. You know that’s not true, I know that’s not true, but … this person doesn’t know that, just as most anti-gun or even neutral people don’t know it. What she “knows†is that gun owners are more concerned about their gun rights than they are about the 20 children laid to rest this week in Connecticut. She “knows†that, and frames her argument based on that wrong idea. We have to tell her, that’s not true. We can say it kindly, factually, passionately, bravely, or with our knees knocking together. But say it we must. Here’s what is true: we own guns because we are deeply concerned about the safety of our families and our communities. We support the right to own firearms—all types of firearms—because we believe that gun ownership saves lives. We believe in the right to carry guns because we believe that carrying guns helps good people stay safe from acts of evil. We hate gun-free zones because they make it easier for violent criminals to murder innocent victims. We support human rights as they relate to firearms not because we are selfish, but because we love people and want to see good people able to defend themselves from murderous madmen such as the one who slaughtered a classroom full of little children at an elementary school in Connecticut. So yes, I’m concerned about our gun rights in the wake of this awful event. But my concern for gun rights is not an act of selfishness. It’s an act of love. I love the people around me, and want them able to stay safe. .... Last night, I talked to a friend of mine. This woman teaches at an elementary school in California. Like most schools in that state, her school has many entrances and exits, multiple buildings, and a campus that would be a nightmare to truly secure. My friend was sad, even angry, that neither she nor anyone around her would be able to protect “her†children in the case of a copycat attack. She would be expected to cower, and hide, and perhaps die – simply because there was no legal way for her to vigorously defend the children she loves. We talked about some of her options, including improvised weapons that would raise no eyebrows if she kept them in her classroom. We talked about making the decision to protect yourself and others. We talked about … the murderer. Not that one. The next one. The one that she knows. That everyone in her district knows. The smart, manipulative teenager with a hair-trigger temper and absolutely no empathy. The one whose own mom thinks he will kill her someday. The one who has been bounced from school, to school, to school within the system, who can’t be kept in an inpatient facility, and whose violent schizophrenic tendencies are getting worse. That kid. “What can I do about him?†she asked me. “How can I keep him away from my school and out of my classroom?†I have no answers. Within the system as it is right now, there is literally no way to stop that kid from committing murder. His own parents can’t get him into a treatment facility that will keep him longer than a few days. Even though literally every person in that teenager’s life knows that he will kill someone someday, he cannot be locked up. Not yet. Not until he snaps and kills someone… or a whole classroom full of someones. We should do something about that. That’s a conversation our society needs to have. But meanwhile, let me point this out: Not every potential murderer gives such clear warning signs. Shouldn’t the intended victims have a way to fight back, if and when? Edited December 20, 2012 by Lil Red
Kevin Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 (edited) I have no answers. Within the system as it is right now, there is literally no way to stop that kid from committing murder. His own parents can’t get him into a treatment facility that will keep him longer than a few days. Even though literally every person in that teenager’s life knows that he will kill someone someday, he cannot be locked up. Not yet. Not until he snaps and kills someone… or a whole classroom full of someones. We should do something about that. That’s a conversation our society needs to have. But meanwhile, let me point this out: Not every potential murderer gives such clear warning signs. I find your attitude much more deeply troubling than anything I have seen on this thread. I can understand the reasons for thinking of extensive gun ownership as a positive, I just don't think they correspond with the facts. But you seem to be suggesting we start a witch hunt against people with mental illness, and I hope that God in his wisdom will prevent you and people who share such views from stirring up this country into a state of hysteria. Edited December 20, 2012 by Kevin
Lil Red Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 I find your attitude much more deeply troubling than anything I have seen on this thread. I can understand the reasons for thinking of extensive gun ownership as a positive, I just don't think they correspond with the facts. But you seem to be suggesting we start a witch hunt against people with mental illness, and I hope that God in his wisdom will prevent you and people who share such views from stirring up this country into a state of hysteria. did you forget to read where I linked to the article? Those aren't my thoughts, but the blog author's thoughts. try reading more thoroughly next time. :doh: also: I seriously doubt that the blog author is suggesting we start a witch hunt. :rolleyes:
Winchester Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Lack of props is becoming a real issue, here.
MissScripture Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Let me get this straight: it is wrong to try and fix the system so that people who desperately need help with their mental health can get that help and protect those around them from harm. It is okay to take the guns away from people who have done nothing other than owned a gun. Got it.
4588686 Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Mentally ill people don't need to be locked up for being mentally ill they need treatment. Oh, what? The party tat keeps pushing to saturate the country with guns and help their friends in the arms industry like S&W PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF CITIZENS!!! also keeps cutting state support for people with mental health issues? Hm. That seems like a solid policy combo!
Winchester Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 (edited) I find your attitude much more deeply troubling than anything I have seen on this thread. I can understand the reasons for thinking of extensive gun ownership as a positive, I just don't think they correspond with the facts. But you seem to be suggesting we start a witch hunt against people with mental illness, and I hope that God in his wisdom will prevent you and people who share such views from stirring up this country into a state of hysteria. It's a shame your imagination only kicks in when attempting to imagine nefarious plots by those who don't worship the State. Your hysteria against guns in the hands of ordinary mortals is the good kind of hysteria, I take it. Edited December 20, 2012 by Winchester
Kevin Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Make the argument yourself, explaining how the Federal government has the moral and Constitutional right to raid raw milk sellers. Don't bother with the docu-dumping. Especially when it's on eminent domain, instead of prohibition. Raw mile raids are conducted using armed officers. The laws in New York are enforced by armed officers. The removal of weapons from people in New Orleans was conducted by armed officers. Deny reality, if you like. They don't send the cops to ask. You're being told, and if you disobey, you will be assaulted, kidnapped, and they are within the laws to kill you over it. Your comment about the 40 hatchets in a number of seconds doesn't deal with what I said. Reread and respond appropriately. I reject that being in the majority exempts one from morality. If 51% of people decide to take from 49%, that does not cease to be theft because numerical superiority exists. At any rate, we live in a Constitutional democratic republic. In theory, the majority is bound by the Constitution: Federal abridgement of the right of the people is proscribed. Local and state governments (in contravention to the Supreme Court ruling) are perfectly free to do so. Raw milk poses a serious risk to public health. If the owners of those weapons held them in violation of the law, the police were right to confiscate them. If those people resisted, they were rightfully arrested. They should not have been assaulted unless they offered violent resistence, and if they were then steps should be taken to discipline such officers. I did read what you said - the basis of your argument is the innocuousness of the hatchet "so long as the item is not causing actual damage to the property of others, such as might be caused by radioactive material or the use of ordnance". I am saying the possessing of a hatchet and the possession of an weapon are inherently different because of what they are intended to be used for. There is no use for a weapon other than violence, and if the capacity for violence of that weapon outstrips what a private citizen would need for home protection (which is a fallacy, but I will grant at least in argument), he has no legitimate use for such a weapon save to attempt violence on a mass scale. If the ownership of the item is inherently something that should not be owned or sold, as is the case of raw milk and weapons, then it is not a theft. For example, slaves were owned. I will grant that guns right in general cannot be removed without a Constitutional amendment, but the government is wholly within its rights to place reasonable restriction on the use and sales of firearms, as has been established in many cases. The fact the Federal Assault Weapons ban was never challenged should be indication enough of this. Rather, it was the cowardice of the legislature in refusing to stand up to the NRA and its allies to pass a bill strong enough to do what that law was intended to do but failed do to the exploitation of loopholes by that same organization. Friend, and as a Christian I think I can call you that, I think you are incorrect on this matter, and that you are going against the march of civilization, but it seems unlikely either of us will change our positions. I only hope that you and those sharing your views will pursue peaceful means to protest against the legislation against semi-automatic weapons that is, regardless of this particular incident, and with reference to the aforementioned march of civilization, inevitably going to pass.
KnightofChrist Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 I find your attitude much more deeply troubling than anything I have seen on this thread. I can understand the reasons for thinking of extensive gun ownership as a positive, I just don't think they correspond with the facts. But you seem to be suggesting we start a witch hunt against people with mental illness, and I hope that God in his wisdom will prevent you and people who share such views from stirring up this country into a state of hysteria. I don't see how she is advocating a witch hunt against the mentally ill. I don't think she's even the author of the article. I see how she trying to inform others about the dangers that actually caused the most recent massacres. But let's your side is successful in your 'witch hunt', the State punishes everyone with guns, because of the crimes of a mentally ill person, by stealing their property. Will it stop these types of massacres? No. It will not. There have been various countries who do not allow their citizens to own guns but these things still happen! Making people defenseless just makes it easier for the wicked and insane to commit their wickedness. The psycho who shot up the movie theatre had multiple ones to pick from, he picked the one that did not allow concealed weapons. All the others near him did. Banning concealed guns didn't save anyone who died there, the schools ban on all guns by everyone didn't save any of the children who died. The states that have strict gun control laws always have have higher crime and murder rates. Gun control fails to stop murder and mass murder. Anyway should the witch hunt against gun owners is successful but these massacres still happen what then? What then? Can we address the mental illness issue then, or the glorification of violence found in movies and video games that the wicked men copy? Or find another scapegoat to blame?
Anomaly Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 I find your attitude much more deeply troubling than anything I have seen on this thread. I can understand the reasons for thinking of extensive gun ownership as a positive, I just don't think they correspond with the facts. But you seem to be suggesting we start a witch hunt against people with mental illness, and I hope that God in his wisdom will prevent you and people who share such views from stirring up this country into a state of hysteria. I honestly find your attitude and hatred very troubling. You refuse to acknowledge real facts and twist other people's posts into a vile and hateful stereotype. Gun owners are all vicous murders. The problem is a very few people who are compelled to hurt a large number of others, whether it's kids in a school, people in a mall, or people at a movie. The 'gun debate' should only be periphial and secondary because it can be used as a weapon. It was repeatedly pointed out that attcks are committed with guns, bombs, and knives. Rather than debating the motives of people who are correcting misconceptions and emotional responses to the concept of guns, the discussion should be about providing assistance to mentally ill persons, their care givers, thier family, their friends. It's not a witch hunt to have a serious and honest discussion of the type of people and motivation behind these horrendous acts of violence against innocent children, teens, adults, and ederly. Instead of debating the efficacy of kiling tools with gun experts, maybe it should be a discussion with psychologists, sociologists, and other advocates providing care for people with mental and emotional problems. Instead of debating what caliber and speed of shooting these people turn to, maybe society should be turning it's attention and effort at learning how to identify persons who are struggling and how to cope with their problems and provide some assistance. Maybe society should be trying to be more effective at providing help to care givers. It's disturbing that you call that a 'witch hunt'.
Winchester Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Raw milk poses a serious risk to public health. If the owners of those weapons held them in violation of the law, the police were right to confiscate them. If those people resisted, they were rightfully arrested. They should not have been assaulted unless they offered violent resistence, and if they were then steps should be taken to discipline such officers. I did read what you said - the basis of your argument is the innocuousness of the hatchet "so long as the item is not causing actual damage to the property of others, such as might be caused by radioactive material or the use of ordnance". I am saying the possessing of a hatchet and the possession of an weapon are inherently different because of what they are intended to be used for. There is no use for a weapon other than violence, and if the capacity for violence of that weapon outstrips what a private citizen would need for home protection (which is a fallacy, but I will grant at least in argument), he has no legitimate use for such a weapon save to attempt violence on a mass scale. If the ownership of the item is inherently something that should not be owned or sold, as is the case of raw milk and weapons, then it is not a theft. For example, slaves were owned. I will grant that guns right in general cannot be removed without a Constitutional amendment, but the government is wholly within its rights to place reasonable restriction on the use and sales of firearms, as has been established in many cases. The fact the Federal Assault Weapons ban was never challenged should be indication enough of this. Rather, it was the cowardice of the legislature in refusing to stand up to the NRA and its allies to pass a bill strong enough to do what that law was intended to do but failed do to the exploitation of loopholes by that same organization. Friend, and as a Christian I think I can call you that, I think you are incorrect on this matter, and that you are going against the march of civilization, but it seems unlikely either of us will change our positions. I only hope that you and those sharing your views will pursue peaceful means to protest against the legislation against semi-automatic weapons that is, regardless of this particular incident, and with reference to the aforementioned march of civilization, inevitably going to pass. Cigarettes pose a serious health risk. You should read more about raw milk. If you feel it's acceptable to confiscate it at gunpoint, and to throw people in cages for selling it, I'm afraid we're so far apart in what we view as acceptable use of violence that we cannot agree. A law that has not the character of justice is no law. My argument about the hatchet is not based on it being innocuous. I provide the basis of the argument. Reread and respond appropriately. Police use AR15's in raids against suspects operating alone. Obviously, such weapons are desirable for small scale operations. "Inherent" must have a different meaning, for you. It's civilized to set up a classed society. Got it.
Kevin Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Let me get this straight: it is wrong to try and fix the system so that people who desperately need help with their mental health can get that help and protect those around them from harm. It is okay to take the guns away from people who have done nothing other than owned a gun. Got it. "Getting people the help they desperately need" is awfully easy to interpret as "Anyone with Aspergers needs to be thrown into an asylum." I was a substitute teacher and I worked with students with some very nasty behavior issues, but never did I meet one so far gone that he was, as was suggested above, certain to kill someone, as if he had lost the capacity for free will already By all reports Adam Lanza was quiet and reclusive - but so are monks, yet we don't lock them up. I strongly suggest you read Chesteron's The Madman to get some perspective on the dangers of the path you are urging society to take.
Winchester Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 There are varying opinions on raw milk. I'm against assaulting people over the matter. http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/
Lil Red Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 "Getting people the help they desperately need" is awfully easy to interpret as "Anyone with Aspergers needs to be thrown into an asylum." :twitch: :doh:
Kevin Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 Cigarettes pose a serious health risk. You should read more about raw milk. If you feel it's acceptable to confiscate it at gunpoint, and to throw people in cages for selling it, I'm afraid we're so far apart in what we view as acceptable use of violence that we cannot agree. A law that has not the character of justice is no law. My argument about the hatchet is not based on it being innocuous. I provide the basis of the argument. Reread and respond appropriately. Police use AR15's in raids against suspects operating alone. Obviously, such weapons are desirable for small scale operations. "Inherent" must have a different meaning, for you. It's civilized to set up a classed society. Got it. People don't give cigarette to children. But you haven't even brought any evidence that what you are saying even happened. If excessive force was used, those doing it should be punished, but those who refuse to live according to the laws of this country are justly arrested and tried. You said "My neighbor might decide to hack off my head with his hatchet--the potential use of an item is not sufficient to warrant my use of violence against him. If he were to threaten me, of course, I would be within my rights to defend myself." What I am saying is that there definitely are some items with potential uses that make it unacceptable for your neighbor to own, and your neighbor can be legitimately compelled to relinquish it. A bomb, for example. In this case, you would naturally call the police, but they are acting as your proxy. And even in this case, violence would not be offered immediately, but only in the case of non-compliance with a legitimate request. Tell me when the last time a police officer, rather than a private gun owner, charged into a school and or movie theater and killed as many people as he could?
Lil Red Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 how about someone in the military, say, shooting up a military base?
kujo Posted December 20, 2012 Author Posted December 20, 2012 ...By all reports Adam Lanza was quiet and reclusive - but so are monks, yet we don't lock them up... If we can't get the props back, can we please institute some sort of Stupidest Post of the Day award?
Lil Red Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 If we can't get the props back, can we please institute some sort of Stupidest Post of the Day award? i :love: you.
Winchester Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 (edited) People don't give cigarette to children. But you haven't even brought any evidence that what you are saying even happened. If excessive force was used, those doing it should be punished, but those who refuse to live according to the laws of this country are justly arrested and tried. You said "My neighbor might decide to hack off my head with his hatchet--the potential use of an item is not sufficient to warrant my use of violence against him. If he were to threaten me, of course, I would be within my rights to defend myself." What I am saying is that there definitely are some items with potential uses that make it unacceptable for your neighbor to own, and your neighbor can be legitimately compelled to relinquish it. A bomb, for example. In this case, you would naturally call the police, but they are acting as your proxy. And even in this case, violence would not be offered immediately, but only in the case of non-compliance with a legitimate request. Tell me when the last time a police officer, rather than a private gun owner, charged into a school and or movie theater and killed as many people as he could? You view it as legitimate. I view it as an ordinary person compelling another ordinary person. I don't think government agents are above me. You do. Fundamental difference in views. You believe in classes, and I don't. You believe in pre-emptive violence. I don't. And I won't, even if you vote to have violence initiated against me. And no, a "request" does not move to violence as the next step. Were I to ask you for your wallet, with the implication that if you did not give it over, I would take it from you using force, that is not a "request". It is merely a means of avoiding the physical contact. A judge recently commented that a woman was obliged to resist rape physically. You remind me of that judge: It's not violence until the "request" is denied. No knock warrants have been served in the past, resulting in injury and death to civilians. Regardless, when was the last time I initiated violence against anyone? I'm talking about me. I don't care what you do. Your actions are not my responsibility, and I would not dream of having someone attack you based on the actions of some unrelated party. You seem to think "legal gun owner" is a monolithic group. I believe there are far more differences between people. As I said, I reject pre-emptive violence. I'm afraid you and I are too far apart morally, seeing as you accept pre-emptive violence (albeit reserved to a special class of person) to come to agreement. Edited December 20, 2012 by Winchester
Kevin Posted December 20, 2012 Posted December 20, 2012 If we can't get the props back, can we please institute some sort of Stupidest Post of the Day award? Gee, I don't think it was called for to insult me. I simply meant that there are many people in this world who are perfectly good and kind who might also be a bit strange, but if we pursue an aggressive policy of removing people with mental health issues or simply perceives issue from society (which is what I think is being implied), these people may becomes targets as well as those who are genuine threats. I am actually referring to the novel "The Ball and the Cross" by Chesterton where an eccentric priest who has a moment of spiritual clarity in a public place is swiftly thrown into an asylum. But mostly I don't feel insults are called for.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now