He carries me Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 Hey y'all!!! :wavey: I was trying to think of something random to start a topic about...so I thought I'd ask how many of you like math. I like math. I think it's fun. That's probably why I'm majoring in it. Yes, I know I'm a [url="http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/HzSt0114121710171015160U0n0m1613111514141412/hazel.cgi?randomizer=489503782&action=DETAIL&item=AP5421G&SECTION=2"]nerd[/url] -- don't have to tell me that. So, if you DO actually like math :thumb: -- what kind of math do you like most? I like algebra. I took a linear algebra class this past semester -- that was pretty fun. I really, really, really, really, really DON'T like statistics though! Yuck! Alright, I'll stop talking about it now.....what do you think??
Philippe Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 i like math actually and im in Geometry only but i like it my fav math class is probably algebra cause i like pluggin stuff in
HomeTeamFamily Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 i like math....geometry was always my thing, i like the angles and proofs and all that stuff....calculus was cool too but it was kinda hard i think one of the coolest fields is quantum physics.....its awesome how they manipulate all those formulas and stuff to figure out how our world works.....its one of those things that i think is amazing and i love to watch tv shows and magazine articles about it....but at the same time, i could NEVER do it haha
Diggety Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 I think you can actually get a glimpse into the mind of God by studying math. I could talk about this for like an hour, but here's one example... A basic cross is a 2 dimensional object, that when you fold it up, becomes a cube which is a 3-D object... [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/2d-fold_large.jpg[/img] The 3-D object below is an unfolded 4-D cube (called a hypercube) and when you try to imagine this folding up into the hypercube, your mind turns to mush... [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/3d-fold_large.jpg[/img] I think there are many times when we try to picture God in human terms, and this exercise gives you just a little hint about the infinite wisdom of our Divine Creator. It should be a very simple thing to do, but it just can't be imagined. [color=red]Prov 3:5 (a fav of mine) "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not"[/color] Why not? because our minds are limited and flawed. Allow yourself to trust in an infinite God who has 'removed our sins as far as the east is from the west' (Ps 103:12). A God who 'knows that we are merely dust, yet His kindness is forever' (Ps 103:14, 17). Dali saw this relationship of God and mathematics as well, as seen in this painting where Christ is crucified on this unfolded hypercube. A reminder that wrapped in the unfathomable mystery of the cross, a moment in time saved us for all time. A timeless moment. When you sin today, Jesus didn't just *die* for you, but he is *dying* for you. And during the mass when we celebrate communion, this timeless mystery of death and resurrection isn't *recreated*, but we are united with Him, and time at that moment, is irrelevant. We don't re-live the sacrifice, we LIVE the sacrifice. [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/dali-crucifixion-hypercube-sm_large.jpg[/img] "Just wait till I get started...where was I?" (Princess Bride) peace -clockwork
stargirl3:16 Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 math is evil. If you don't believe me, take calculus.
homeschoolmom Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 Math is fun. I wish I could take my college math classes again (I only had two) because I think I would pay more attention and learn more. I like algebra. I would also love to take another shot at geometry. My high school geometry teachers, well... they didn't have their hearts in it.
Deeds Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 I'm doing a degree in maths. For the next two years, I'll be studying only maths. It's hard to say which part is my favourite, I think it would be more a case of which part baffles me the least. I love anything to do with codes and cryptology...
prov31girl Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 [quote name='He carries me' date='May 24 2004, 12:05 AM'] Hey y'all!!! :wavey: I was trying to think of something random to start a topic about...so I thought I'd ask how many of you like math. I like math. I think it's fun. That's probably why I'm majoring in it. Yes, I know I'm a [url="http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/HzSt0114121710171015160U0n0m1613111514141412/hazel.cgi?randomizer=489503782&action=DETAIL&item=AP5421G&SECTION=2"]nerd[/url] -- don't have to tell me that. So, if you DO actually like math :thumb: -- what kind of math do you like most? I like algebra. I took a linear algebra class this past semester -- that was pretty fun. I really, really, really, really, really DON'T like statistics though! Yuck! Alright, I'll stop talking about it now.....what do you think?? [/quote] Mary my darlin, you're a dork, but I still love ya!! < enjoys calculus
Pyrite Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 Mmm, math. If I have to choose, my favorite part of math is Calculus. I'm about halfway done with my math minor (hurrah!). There's something satisfying about doing complex math that has more letters then numbers in it. Plus, it's rather useful for what I plan on doing "when I grow up" (geophysics and seismology). I'm taking 3D Calculus as a summer class, I enjoy it that much. I'm a freak, I know.
Sojourner Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 I like abstract math. I don't do well with numbers.
homeschoolmom Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 Why do the British et al call it maths and we call it math? Is this yet another example of Americans needing to do everything differenly than the rest of the world?
RandomProddy Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 Doing a maths degree. In fact I should be revising..
He carries me Posted May 24, 2004 Author Posted May 24, 2004 [quote name='Delivery Boy' date='May 24 2004, 09:55 AM']diggety that was a dope post nice[/quote] i totally agree!!!
He carries me Posted May 24, 2004 Author Posted May 24, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='May 24 2004, 12:15 PM']Why do the British et al call it maths and we call it math? Is this yet another example of Americans needing to do everything differenly than the rest of the world?[/quote] maybe it has something to do with the fact that math or maths is short for mathematics....they kept the "s" on the end, but we were too lazy
lil bull 04 Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 i love math...i used to hate it because the teacher bored me...but i guess i'm good at it...so i like anything i'm good at.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now