cmotherofpirl Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 [quote name='Diggety' date='May 24 2004, 03:28 AM'] I think you can actually get a glimpse into the mind of God by studying math. I could talk about this for like an hour, but here's one example... A basic cross is a 2 dimensional object, that when you fold it up, becomes a cube which is a 3-D object... [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/2d-fold_large.jpg[/img] The 3-D object below is an unfolded 4-D cube (called a hypercube) and when you try to imagine this folding up into the hypercube, your mind turns to mush... [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/3d-fold_large.jpg[/img] I think there are many times when we try to picture God in human terms, and this exercise gives you just a little hint about the infinite wisdom of our Divine Creator. It should be a very simple thing to do, but it just can't be imagined. [color=red]Prov 3:5 (a fav of mine) "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not"[/color] Why not? because our minds are limited and flawed. Allow yourself to trust in an infinite God who has 'removed our sins as far as the east is from the west' (Ps 103:12). A God who 'knows that we are merely dust, yet His kindness is forever' (Ps 103:14, 17). Dali saw this relationship of God and mathematics as well, as seen in this painting where Christ is crucified on this unfolded hypercube. A reminder that wrapped in the unfathomable mystery of the cross, a moment in time saved us for all time. A timeless moment. When you sin today, Jesus didn't just *die* for you, but he is *dying* for you. And during the mass when we celebrate communion, this timeless mystery of death and resurrection isn't *recreated*, but we are united with Him, and time at that moment, is irrelevant. We don't re-live the sacrifice, we LIVE the sacrifice. [img]http://diggety.mypicgallery.com/clockwork/dali-crucifixion-hypercube-sm_large.jpg[/img] "Just wait till I get started...where was I?" (Princess Bride) peace -clockwork [/quote] You got any more of this stuff?
He carries me Posted May 26, 2004 Author Posted May 26, 2004 BUMP!!! can't let the math thread die......ahhhhhh!!!!
azaelia Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 [quote name='He carries me' date='May 24 2004, 06:04 PM'] I think math is one of those subjects that people say they hate all because they had a bad math teacher. [/quote] I'm homeschooled, so I basically taught myself math.
azaelia Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 [quote name='azaelia' date='May 24 2004, 12:19 PM'] EEhhhhhh!!! [hisses shrivles up and goes POOF!] :dead: Math is evil. [/quote] Nope
He carries me Posted May 26, 2004 Author Posted May 26, 2004 ohhh -_- oh well, can't convince everyone how wonderful math is!
1337 k4th0l1x0r Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 For the real math nerds, check out [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics"]the mathematics section of wikipedia[/url]. I've spent hours just browsing all the different number systems and branches of mathematics. Discrete mathematics seems to be really fun as it is the foundation and describes what goes on 'behind the scenes' of math, though it is extremely non-intuitive and can twist your brain around until it's wore out.
He carries me Posted May 26, 2004 Author Posted May 26, 2004 ooh ouch! i took a semester of discrete mathematics....it was tough -- i think it might have been partly because my professor was russian and had her degree in it....plus the fact that i was taking another math class and was overwhelmed...etc etc etc i really like (most) logic problems -- they're fun and make you think
morostheos Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 math is FUN! Freshman year of college I took calc II for fun. I wish I had taken more math. It's so cool to see how everything works out. I always really liked algebra. What's really fun is trying to make computer models of stuff in the real world and coming up with equations for things...i know i'm a nerd, what can i say?
Spiritual_Arsonist Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 [quote name='He carries me' date='May 24 2004, 01:05 AM'] Hey y'all!!! :wavey: I was trying to think of something random to start a topic about...so I thought I'd ask how many of you like math. I like math. I think it's fun. That's probably why I'm majoring in it. Yes, I know I'm a [url="http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/HzSt0114121710171015160U0n0m1613111514141412/hazel.cgi?randomizer=489503782&action=DETAIL&item=AP5421G&SECTION=2"]nerd[/url] -- don't have to tell me that. So, if you DO actually like math :thumb: -- what kind of math do you like most? I like algebra. I took a linear algebra class this past semester -- that was pretty fun. I really, really, really, really, really DON'T like statistics though! Yuck! Alright, I'll stop talking about it now.....what do you think?? [/quote] [color=red]MATH IS THE WORK OF THE DEVIL!!![/color]
saintwannab7 Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 I think math in general and specifically algebra II and geometry are really interesting. But I am not a perfectionist and I do not like to memorize things. So when it comes time to test our knowledge..... well, its not always pretty. but it is fascinating to me, I like doing math to get an answer not to learn a concept. me and math classes don't really always click. But I really do enjoy it. I am definetly on the strange side
BullnaChinaShop Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 As an Engineer I have always enjoyed math. I just love how calculus and physics work so nicely together.
Jake Huether Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 [quote name='BullnaChinaShop' date='May 26 2004, 09:05 AM'] As an Engineer I have always enjoyed math. I just love how calculus and physics work so nicely together. [/quote] Ditto. Although, I'm finding out just how little math an engineer can get by on. LOL. We have analysts who do all that stuff. Now we just LOOK at numbers. We hardly ever have to CRUNCH them. But I do enjoy math. I actually wish I had to deal with it more, cause I feel like I'm losing it.
BullnaChinaShop Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 [quote name='Jake Huether' date='May 26 2004, 10:27 AM'] Ditto. Although, I'm finding out just how little math an engineer can get by on. LOL. We have analysts who do all that stuff. Now we just LOOK at numbers. We hardly ever have to CRUNCH them. But I do enjoy math. I actually wish I had to deal with it more, cause I feel like I'm losing it. [/quote] I've had a math refresher over the last year as I'm working on my Masters but I was amazed how rusty I was after a little over a year of disuse.
He carries me Posted May 26, 2004 Author Posted May 26, 2004 does anyone here get really annoyed when they hear mathematically incorrect statements on the radio/television? i've heard (several times) a commercial for starburst -- the announcer or someone says something about them being square and then says, well actually they're not square -- they're a cube but they're not!!!!!!!
prov31girl Posted May 26, 2004 Posted May 26, 2004 Oh my goodness...I wondered if you would ever bring that up.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now