An Old School Catholic Message Board

When People Say God's Name In Vain...

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a difficulty when I talk to people who often take God's Name in vain... what could we/ should we say? I try to say in my mind "blessed be His Name" after this (and the Golden Arrow prayer is a great idea!!)... but should we say something to the person? Assume that they are not Catholic or not practicing Catholic.

What if someone says something really insulting about the faith? I don't mean just voicing disagreement but more than this. What would be a good response? I want to still be charitable (not call them names, condemn them, belittle them, etc) but not act like I agree with their words.

In general what do you do in such situations? I'd rather not say who is doing this or particular situations, but just in general, what could our response be :)

thank you!

carmenchristi

You can't force your faith on people. If they don't respect God's name you probably will not be able to change that, BUT you can demand respect for yourself and your Faith. Let him know that you are offended by this type of speech. Direct the conversation toward normal and expected consideration for others, not about the holiness of God's name. Ask if they would diss Muhammad in front of a Muslim. Ask him how he would feel if someone were using the same kind of speech in reference to his mother or wife. Would that be acceptable? If the answer is yes, then the person obviously has no sense of respect or manners or anything else.

MarysLittleFlower

I know that I might not be able to change the person's view or make them respect God's Name... the reason I wanted to say something is so that it doesnt' appear like I support it, and to let them know it's a wrong thing to do, in any case it's offensive, but more than this. Sometimes I'm not sure how exactly to say it.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

southern california guy

I don't find it all that offensive.  Maybe I am thick skinned?

From what I understand "Taking the name of the lord in vain"  means taking a vow in the name of God that you don't keep.  Like a marriage vow.  But I think that perhaps that's the old Jewish interpretation as opposed to the modern Catholic?

carmenchristi

I know that it is not just offensive and that it is wrong, but you can't expect a person who has no faith to stop doing it because it is wrong. If the person professes to believe in God then you can bring up the fact that it is wrong. If not, you will just come across as pushing your beliefs on someone who isn't interested. Really your only argument is demanding respect for yourself and your faith.

Plus, I believe that this is a much more effective form of evangelization. Bible thumping doesn't usually go very far.

I know that it is not just offensive and that it is wrong, but you can't expect a person who has no faith to stop doing it because it is wrong. If the person professes to believe in God then you can bring up the fact that it is wrong. If not, you will just come across as pushing your beliefs on someone who isn't interested. Really your only argument is demanding respect for yourself and your faith.

Plus, I believe that this is a much more effective form of evangelization. Bible thumping doesn't usually go very far.

huh? :blink:

I have witnessed children correct adults when they say "Oh My ..." and the adults have turned to the child and acknowledged they are correct and apologize.

A simple "you shouldn't say that" should suffice. 

Or, if you are like me, just clock'em...

I hate the profanity g-- d--- . As a matter of fact its really the only profanity that really bothers me, all others are just words but that one uses the name of God as a profanity and it cuts through me like a knife. I always say that a sin to use His name that way, and sometimes I get an apology and othertimes an argument.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

carmenchristi

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Lil Red" data-cid="2524699" data-time="1355697004" data-date="Yesterday, 05:30 PM"><p>
huh? :blink:</p></blockquote>

Not sure what was so perplexing about my post. If you tell me, I will try to clarify.

Basilisa Marie

As for when someone says something really insulting about the faith, it depends on the situation.  If it's something that's "wrong" like "Catholics worship Mary" then I usually say "well, actually..." and quickly explain that Catholics have different kinds of honor and devotion given to different people, but only "worship" goes to God.   If it's something that's just truly insulting, like "The pope is satan incarnate" then I say something like, "hey, I'm Catholic, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't say things like that."  Or if they know you're Catholic, say something like "Hey, it makes me feel uncomfortable when people say things like that, could you not?"  And if they keep it up, just walk away.  But most people say wrong things or stupid things out of ignorance, and decent people will feel bad for saying something like that in front of someone who believes. If you keep the conversation focused on how the words make you feel, it's harder for the situation to get combative. 

This is assuming you're dealing with people in person.  If you encounter something icky online, either let it go or supply one "counter" to what they said and then let it go.   It's almost never worth it to engage with anti-Catholic trolls in the general internet. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Lil Red" data-cid="2524699" data-time="1355697004" data-date="Yesterday, 05:30 PM"><p>
huh? :blink:</p></blockquote>

Not sure what was so perplexing about my post. If you tell me, I will try to clarify.

who are you supposed to be talking to in your post? it seems unnecessarily inflammatory and accusatory to no one in particular. if someone asks someone not to use God's name in vain, then according to your post, they are being "pushy", "Bible-thumping", and whatever else you said.

ToJesusMyHeart

I'm the only practicing Catholic in my family. My parents quit practicing when I was in 5th grade. Whenever I am forced to go home for holidays (such as this one), there is always some instance of them taking God's name in vain. I usually say "Please don't use God's name like that" and then go to my room. They usually don't listen to me, but I feel like I need to speak up even if they're going to ignore me. My SD says it is good to say the Divine Praises in reparation for blasphemy/dishonor of His name.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pray0284.htm

MarysLittleFlower

thanks for the replies! I'll write back in more soon :)

I don't find it all that offensive.  Maybe I am thick skinned?

From what I understand "Taking the name of the lord in vain"  means taking a vow in the name of God that you don't keep.  Like a marriage vow.  But I think that perhaps that's the old Jewish interpretation as opposed to the modern Catholic?

hmm...I'm not a Scripture scholar, but just referring to the topic: I think that the reason it's wrong to say God's name casually, it's because His Name is holy and should be used with respect, not as a casual word. If you say His Name when talking about God in conversation, and you are referring to Him, that is different than if you say His Name casually just to show you're upset, etc. Of course it's wrong to making a false vow in the Name of God too, and Jesus said, let your yes be yes and no be no, don't swear on God.

When I go to the Latin Mass, the priests (and a number of those in the pews) bow their heads whenever the Name of Jesus is said :)

God bless

MarysLittleFlower
I'm the only practicing Catholic in my family. My parents quit practicing when I was in 5th grade. Whenever I am forced to go home for holidays (such as this one), there is always some instance of them taking God's name in vain. I usually say "Please don't use God's name like that" and then go to my room. They usually don't listen to me, but I feel like I need to speak up even if they're going to ignore me. My SD says it is good to say the Divine Praises in reparation for blasphemy/dishonor of His name.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pray0284.htm

great idea!! :)

I feel the same way when people do this... I also feel the need to say something (or at least pray) even if people would ignore me. Just to show that I don't support it? it's good to pray as reparation imo. There's also the Golden Arrow prayer :) Jesus said it's a reparation prayer for blasphemy.

"May the Most Holy, Most Sacred, Most Adorable, Most Incomprehensible, and Unutterable Name of God, be always praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified, in Heaven, on earth, and under the earth, but all the creatures of God, and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar, Amen"