An Old School Catholic Message Board

When People Say God's Name In Vain...

MarysLittleFlower

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a difficulty when I talk to people who often take God's Name in vain... what could we/ should we say? I try to say in my mind "blessed be His Name" after this (and the Golden Arrow prayer is a great idea!!)... but should we say something to the person? Assume that they are not Catholic or not practicing Catholic.

I've have said before, "I would appreciate if you would refrain from saying that in front of me. Thanks."  I don't see a need to tell the person you are offended. He'll get that message by you asking him to stop. You will not be able to force/make him stop, but at least he knows now it bothers you. 

What if someone says something really insulting about the faith? I don't mean just voicing disagreement but more than this. What would be a good response? I want to still be charitable (not call them names, condemn them, belittle them, etc) but not act like I agree with their words.

In general what do you do in such situations? I'd rather not say who is doing this or particular situations, but just in general, what could our response be  :)

thank you!

Other than saying, "You don't know what the hell you are talking about", I would simply say, "That is not how I understand it.  I find what you say curious. Where did you get this information?"  What ever you do, do not go on the defensive. 

Edited by Papist

carmenchristi

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Lil Red" data-cid="2525007" data-time="1355771746" data-date="Yesterday, 02:15 PM"><p>
who are you supposed to be talking to in your post? it seems unnecessarily inflammatory and accusatory to no one in particular. if someone asks someone not to use God's name in vain, then according to your post, they are being "pushy", "Bible-thumping", and whatever else you said.</p></blockquote>

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way. I meant to say that it seems to me to be more effective if one asks someone to refrain from using God's name in vain out of respect for the asker. Obviously the person using God's name in vain does not respect his name, so it would be useless to ask them to start respecting it.

I was unclear in the second part of my post. darn cell phone that makes lazy me want to use as few words as possible. I didn't mean to say that one would be bible thumping by asking this. What I did want to say is that, by asking respect in this way one is already giving a clear witness to his faith. I don't know if more would be necessary. A quiet witness (when circumstances don't bind us to speak out) is usually noticed and appreciated. I never meant to imply that anyone on this thread is bible thumping. It was more of a general statement. Sorry for the confusion or if I unintentionally offended anyone.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Lil Red" data-cid="2525007" data-time="1355771746" data-date="Yesterday, 02:15 PM"><p>
who are you supposed to be talking to in your post? it seems unnecessarily inflammatory and accusatory to no one in particular. if someone asks someone not to use God's name in vain, then according to your post, they are being "pushy", "Bible-thumping", and whatever else you said.</p></blockquote>

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way. I meant to say that it seems to me to be more effective if one asks someone to refrain from using God's name in vain out of respect for the asker. Obviously the person using God's name in vain does not respect his name, so it would be useless to ask them to start respecting it.

I was unclear in the second part of my post. darn cell phone that makes lazy me want to use as few words as possible. I didn't mean to say that one would be bible thumping by asking this. What I did want to say is that, by asking respect in this way one is already giving a clear witness to his faith. I don't know if more would be necessary. A quiet witness (when circumstances don't bind us to speak out) is usually noticed and appreciated. I never meant to imply that anyone on this thread is bible thumping. It was more of a general statement. Sorry for the confusion or if I unintentionally offended anyone.

:) your post just seemed out of character from the rest of your postings. :) thanks for the clarification.