An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kid 1, Parents 0

Autumn Dusk

Bet she's probably willing to let them continue to foot the bill, though.

the school is giving her a scholorship.  Paying for college is not owning one's soul.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Autumn Dusk" data-cid="2528017" data-time="1356750427"><p>
the school is giving her a scholorship. Paying for college is not owning one's soul.</p></blockquote>
Lol

homeschoolmom
the school is giving her a scholorship.  Paying for college is not owning one's soul.

I didn't say that it was. However, she's a senior. She allowed them to pay for at least three years of college when their behavior was not to her liking? Why not say, "No thanks, I'm on my own." Certainly their weird behavior didn't start the day she graduated from high school. If there were truly sufficating behaviors, she might have cut the ties and tried to make it on her own. I also find it a little suspect that she's an acting student. I doubt if getting her name out there hurts.

I'm not saying the parents are right or anything, but something tells me we don't have the whole story here.

I didn't say that it was. However, she's a senior. She allowed them to pay for at least three years of college when their behavior was not to her liking? Why not say, "No thanks, I'm on my own." Certainly their weird behavior didn't start the day she graduated from high school. If there were truly sufficating behaviors, she might have cut the ties and tried to make it on her own. I also find it a little suspect that she's an acting student. I doubt if getting her name out there hurts.

I'm not saying the parents are right or anything, but something tells me we don't have the whole story here.

Of course we don't have the whole story.  It's a simple article.

I work at a college.  Until a student is 26 (a tie in with the new healthcare law) or have graduated undergrad they are considered dependants and must provide their parents tax information and get signatures on things.  In my world this means that I have to deal with students who need to contact their divorced father who they haven't seen since they were 6 and their tax information is counted as the student's income.  If the father or mother dosn't cooperate then the student has a lengthy appeals process that almost never works.  If they don't do that then there's no financial aid and no independant loan company will sign for them.  Even full scholorships are handled through the fin aid office so it's nearly impossible to go to school without some sort of legal emancipation.

Which is why even thought he school offered her the scholorship she needed to have a court action. 

It's really crazy, students are not really treated like adults in many things.  Fortunatly with laws like FERPA (the HIPPA of education) we're getting closer to having adults be adults.

I've seen too many adults between the ages of 18-26 loose their college dreams because of insane parents who were rude, incoperateive, etc.  University sanctioned actions against hillicopter parents have become a huge issue in the past 8 years that I've worked in a college.  In our adjunct professor orentation we now have an entire seminar on how to handle angry parents and we provide panic buttons in offices becuase parents have been know to get aggresive even when the student is a good student.  The sad thing is that most of the students with hillicopter or controlling parents are good students and often become discouraged and drop out..

...the good news is that with the rise of the awareness of education...more focus on community college, state colleges night classes and things of the sort more of those students who were forced to drop out are comming back.

something tells me there is more to this story ...

considering that the university posted guards at her theatere performances...I'd say yeah they were aware of the problems.

homeschoolmom

Well, I will have to agree that our society *does* treat adults as children well into adulthood. That's a whole other topic.

Well, I will have to agree that our society *does* treat adults as children well into adulthood. That's a whole other topic.

the problem is that in colleges, legally, adults are still treated as children....which causes dramatic situations like this.  Fortunatly, in this case the decision was made to allow this adult to be an adult and continue her education.  There are too many times when it's not.

That's why there won't be any "college fund" for my kids. I'll help them get a library card and teach them how to read and teach them all I can from my vast store of knowledge. Beyond that, you're on your own.

That's why there won't be any "college fund" for my kids. I'll help them get a library card and teach them how to read and teach them all I can from my vast store of knowledge. Beyond that, you're on your own.

All well and good as long as you play along with the college burocrecy if they choose to educate themselves in a reasonable way.

All well and good as long as you play along with the college burocrecy if they choose to educate themselves in a reasonable way.

What do you mean?