An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kid 1, Parents 0

Autumn Dusk

What do you mean?

Give your tax information without strings, and do all the other ridiculous things that is now required for adults under 26 to take classes.  I'm not saying co-sign a loan, just make sure you play along, even if your Catholic kid wants to go to Akmed U or Harichrisna College.

GeorgiiMichael
Bet she's probably willing to let them continue to foot the bill, though.

That's probably why she put up with that crap for so long, because her parents WERE footing the bill. By taking this court action, she obviously knew that her parents wouldn't continue to pay for her school. Thank God for understanding school officials, who gave her a full scholarship so she could continue on and graduate.

As for the lawsuit that her parents are now aiming at her, I can't imagine that a judge would rule in favor of the parents. Especially after they got slapped with that restraining order. 

Basilisa Marie

I saw a news story about the case. The parents were filming her, put all kinds of software on her computer to track her emails without her knowledge, harassed her professors for not giving her solos in choir or casting her in productions, and would show up unannounced to school all the time.  This isn't a rebellious kid.  This is helicopter parenting in overdrive.   I mean, come on:

The dean's list student's complaints against her parents began when she realized they'd installed monitoring software on her computer and her phone. They paid unannounced visits, traveling 600 miles from their home in Kansas, to meet with Aubrey's department head.  They also accused their daughter of promiscuity, doing drugs, and having mental issues to the point where they were considering going to court to order that she get treatment.  "My mom has always been very overly involved," Ireland said. "I would have to get on Skype all the time to show them that I was in my dorm room, or there were nights I had to leave my Skype on all night and my mom would watch me basically sleep."

They're the ones who threatened to go to court first.   I'm surprised the school didn't give her parents PNG status.  Their residence life office had probably heard about them for three and a half years, which is probably why the school gave her the full scholarship to finish.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

I saw a news story about the case. The parents were filming her, put all kinds of software on her computer to track her emails without her knowledge, harassed her professors for not giving her solos in choir or casting her in productions, and would show up unannounced to school all the time.  This isn't a rebellious kid.  This is helicopter parenting in overdrive.   I mean, come on:

They're the ones who threatened to go to court first.   I'm surprised the school didn't give her parents PNG status.  Their residence life office had probably heard about them for three and a half years, which is probably why the school gave her the full scholarship to finish.  

The problem is that these sorts of situations are all too common and colleges are typically very unlikely to retaliate against parents (infact I've seen school policies that work against students) beucase the school wants to keep up good relations between parental donors and alumn who don't want to give scholorships to students who have previously demonstrated ability to pay.

I didn't say that it was. However, she's a senior. She allowed them to pay for at least three years of college when their behavior was not to her liking? Why not say, "No thanks, I'm on my own." Certainly their weird behavior didn't start the day she graduated from high school. If there were truly sufficating behaviors, she might have cut the ties and tried to make it on her own. I also find it a little suspect that she's an acting student. I doubt if getting her name out there hurts.

I'm not saying the parents are right or anything, but something tells me we don't have the whole story here.

Not necessarily. I had a classmate who was in a near-identical situation to this, and she just accepted her parents' extremely overbearing behaviour because it was all she'd ever known since she was a child. It look her a very long time to pluck up the courage to challenge her parents, and when she did challenge them (feebly) she'd always retract it. The situation was frankly abusive and she didn't see it. She only started to come to terms with it in her early twenties. I hope this student has better luck.