An Old School Catholic Message Board

Isn't More Gun Control The Obvious Solution? Yes, Yes It Is.

dairygirl4u2c

I think I answered that.

You've said it was likely part of criminal activity against them but I don't see why that is the case given your views on violence and economics.  That's not snarky.  I just don't see how he did anything wrong within your moral parameters   

I think I answered that.

You've said it was likely part of criminal activity against them but I don't see why that is the case given your views on violence and economics.  That's not snarky.  I just don't see how he did anything wrong within your moral parameters   

And any weapons he bought from governments or government officials were not the rightful property of the sellers.

Who says he bought them from governments?  If he bought them from private arms manufacturers would it then be alright?  

Who says he bought them from governments?  If he bought them from private arms manufacturers would it then be alright?  

Government does not engage in voluntary exchange, and he was trading with people who were attempting to violate the property rights of others. That's how it's wrong. The rules for voluntary exchange rule out many things you might think would be perfectly acceptable to an an-cap.

He did buy his arms from governments, though.

Selling arms in an of itself is not a crime. Even if one gang says one may not sell arms to a different gang. If I buy an F-14 and put missiles on it, I do nothing immoral. Is selling weapons to a criminal enterprise an immoral act? Yes. In this case, another criminal enterprise arrested him for it.

dairygirl4u2c

"Is it okay to kill people who refuse to cooperate with the gun laws, but don't do anything aggressive?"

i don't see why. it'd be like every other nonmurderous crime, jail, fines, etc etc. we only use death penalty for murder, sometimse, now.

it'd be like the war on drugs, somewhat, at least if it were like japan. (where they actively raid people they think have guns. but i do acknowledge that drugs cause harm etc to oneself necessarily, and guns aren't inherently like that)
reading further, as has been said, there's a difference between a capital offense and police using force when force is used against them. one could also say when a person violates the law, they are committing the initial act of aggression. then again, one could say the government making the law is the first act of aggression. the thing i suppose is that we have a system of laws and government, etc, you ahve to abide by it. some laws are just, some are not, but we have to take the good with teh bad, for the most part. just like poeple who have drugs or do other crimes and have people raid them etc.

i don't see what the issue is with guns, why one has to get on their horse about unjust laws etc. i can see to an extent a right to self defense and all that, but when we see japan and its ban and the sparse deaths etc... we should really question whether its wise to allow poeple contraptions that are meant to kill so easily etc.

one day people may look back, in a future utopia, and wonder why we'd have ever let guns remain legal. course, if it was trulyu a utopia, the gun wouldn't be needed in the first place, per self defense etc, but.

"

Yes, rates of homicide by guns would go down if we had a complete gun ban. Britain has an extremely lower gun homicide rate. But do you know what Britain also has? A much higher violence rate. No guns does not equal no violence, it just equals violence minus guns. I've done karate since I was four. I have known and still know hundreds of people in my life that can kill without a gun with just as much ease. Do not think that people will somehow not figure out how to kill just because they don't have a gun in their hand. In fact, it's easier to get away with it without a gun. Guns make noise, snapping a person's neck from behind does not.

"

jackie chan at sandy hook, even jackie chan, wouldn't have been able to pull off nearly as many deaths, though. and anyone without a gun, wouldn't be able to kill as many people on rampages. and it overall makes it much more burdensome to kill, to the significant extent that deaths are significantly reduced.

all around, then, the death rate would be lower proportinoal to how much we enforce gun controls, bans. look at japan, as i said.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Government does not engage in voluntary exchange

That's just not totally true.  People vote for the bodies that levy taxes and they are free to leave if they wish.  

and he was trading with people who were attempting to violate the property rights of others.

To murder others.  

That's how it's wrong. The rules for voluntary exchange rule out many things you might think would be perfectly acceptable to an an-cap.

So people who own private property have to ensure that the people they sell their private property use what is now the buyers property in a morally acceptable way?

He did buy his arms from governments, though.

I've never seen any accounting of where he bought all his arms from and I don't know how that can be confirmed since there is a lot of dispute where and to whom he sold guns.  

Selling arms in an of itself is not a crime. Even if one gang says one may not sell arms to a different gang. If I buy an F-14 and put missiles on it, I do nothing immoral. Is selling weapons to a criminal enterprise an immoral act? Yes. In this case, another criminal enterprise arrested him for it.

So you your system what could be done to stop a Victor Bout.  If Victor Bout owned his own factory and sold the arms that he produced to men who he knew or thought were committing genocide what recourse would people have to stop him?  Just some individual decides that he's not using his private property correctly and kills or imprisons him of his own accord? 

KnightofChrist

The State, currently run by the Party of Death, wants more gun control in the name of the innocent victims of criminals and mad men who did not and will not obey the laws. The State wants to serverly limit or slowly snuff out the right of the people to keep and bare arms. Punishing innocent people for the crime of others. But if the State and the Party of Death actually cared about innocent victims it would target a industry that directly targets innocent victims and murders them for money every day. Instead they fund it and advocate for it. A State that funds the mass murder of children cannot be trusted to limit or take away the people's ability to protect themselves from a unjust State.

The State, currently run by the Party of Death, wants more gun control in the name of the innocent victims of criminals and mad men who did not and will not obey the laws. The State wants to serverly limit or slowly snuff out the right of the people to keep and bare arms. Punishing innocent people for the crime of others. But if the State and the Party of Death actually cared about innocent victims it would target a industry that directly targets innocent victims and murders them for money every day. Instead they fund it and advocate for it. A State that funds the mass murder of children cannot be trusted to limit or take away the people's ability to protect themselves from a unjust State.

So the party that supports the death penalty, carved out the legal space for torture, and launched the war in Iraq is the party of life?

Edited by Hasan

KnightofChrist
So the party that supports the death penalty, carved out the legal space for torture, and launched the war in Iraq is the party of life?

Nope. But it doesn't change the hypocritical stance of the Party of Death.

oompa-loompa-34.jpg

Definitely wouldn't trust those guys with guns.

Don't know why, but this made me think about the folks who say "the Second Amendment was written in a time of muskets, not the guns we have now". 

To which I, an advocate of some gun control, reply, "Then freedom of speech is limited to parchment, because that was all that was available at the time.  It doesn't apply to protest signs, the internet, modern newspapers, books, television, or anything else."

Excellent point, although books were definitely available at the time of the framing (and had been for many centuries), as were newspapers (though not containing "modern" features such as photographs).  [/quibble]

Yes, rates of homicide by guns would go down if we had a complete gun ban. Britain has an extremely lower gun homicide rate. But do you know what Britain also has? A much higher violence rate. 

It's not actually as simple as that.  I remember an article I linked to on a debate on this topic last year (unfortunately, I don't currently have it available) which pointed out that the murder rate in New York was always considerably higher than that of London - going back long before either city had anti-gun laws.  However, in the years since the passing of very strict gun laws in London, homicide rates have actually risen.  

Many of the U.S. cities with the strictest handgun laws also have the highest homicide rates.

Some countries with some of the world's highest per-capita gun ownership, such as Switzerland, have some of the lowest homicide rates, while some countries with strict anti-gun laws, such as Mexico and Russia, have some of the highest homicide rates.

However, even if it were to be decisively proven that "gun-control" laws lower homicide rates (which it has not), I do not believe this would justify the state forcibly depriving citizens of the means to self-defense.

Need a gun in what context?  People need guns in Aurora NC.  But a double barrel shotgun can handle most of those situations.  Those restrictions would be unworkable for a police department in a context with a pot dealer and his friends can have the firepower of a small army.  And vica versa.  It's a security spiral. 

So it's the job of politicians in DC to determine exactly what kind of guns everybody needs and doesn't need in every conceivable situation, as well as how much ammo their magazines are allowed to carry, etc.?

Whatever happened to the principle of representatives in Washington working for us - we the people - rather than us being treated as peons of the ruling Nanny State, who must make all the decisions for us.

So start hacking away at the root which is the defense and arms industry.

So how will this "hacking away" at gun manufacturers be enforced?  By guys with guns?

PhuturePriest
It's not actually as simple as that.  I remember an article I linked to on a debate on this topic last year (unfortunately, I don't currently have it available) which pointed out that the murder rate in New York was always considerably higher than that of London - going back long before either city had anti-gun laws.  However, in the years since the passing of very strict gun laws in London, homicide rates have actually risen.  

Many of the U.S. cities with the strictest handgun laws also have the highest homicide rates.

Some countries with some of the world's highest per-capita gun ownership, such as Switzerland, have some of the lowest homicide rates, while some countries with strict anti-gun laws, such as Mexico and Russia, have some of the highest homicide rates.

However, even if it were to be decisively proven that "gun-control" laws lower homicide rates (which it has not), I do not believe this would justify the state forcibly depriving citizens of the means to self-defense.

Oh, I wasn't saying it would lower homicide rates, I was saying it would lower gun-related homicide rates. But, as you say, it makes the homicide rates rise without them, so basically you are trading something better for something worse.

Edited by FuturePriest387