brianthephysicist Posted January 21, 2013 Posted January 21, 2013 Chevy, y u no offer cloth seats and fog lights? Seriously, the 2013 Impala creators believe that unless you have leather seats, there must be no need to see when there's fog on the road. Every car company (except Kia) I've been looking at makes some giant deal about fog lights. They are either 1 only available on the high end models or 2 as part of some package deal that costs a ton because the features I couldn't care less about cost a lot, because apparently fog lights are intrinsically connected to lumbar support, heated seats, chrome door handles, interior door panel inserts, remote start, etc. This has been very annoying. I thought buying a car was supposed to be tons of fun?
Anastasia13 Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 (edited) Chevy, y u no offer cloth seats and fog lights? Seriously, the 2013 Impala creators believe that unless you have leather seats, there must be no need to see when there's fog on the road. Every car company (except Kia) I've been looking at makes some giant deal about fog lights. They are either 1 only available on the high end models or 2 as part of some package deal that costs a ton because the features I couldn't care less about cost a lot, because apparently fog lights are intrinsically connected to lumbar support, heated seats, chrome door handles, interior door panel inserts, remote start, etc. This has been very annoying. I thought buying a car was supposed to be tons of fun? Teach me of your trails, my leader, for soon I shall follow in thy foot paths of shopping for a new car myself. Edited January 22, 2013 by Light and Truth
brianthephysicist Posted January 22, 2013 Author Posted January 22, 2013 Chevy? A physicist should know better. Why is that? (actually a serious question) Teach me of your trails, my leader, for soon I shall follow in thy foot paths of shopping for a new car myself. rotfl you're coming to me? rotfl Pretty much I figured out what I wanted and then went to as many car dealerships as I could possibly stand going to in order to see what was even remotely compatible with my needs. Then I just found small ways of pining the list down. I'll let you follow along on the process as I remember it: So I want a sedan because 1 it's more fuel efficient than my truck and 2 it'll prob be the only car I buy for the next 10 years, which means I have to consider the possibility of a family. Since I am currently dating MissyP89, I have to consider fitting her walker in the trunk without having to fold the back seats down, a harder task than you can imagine (it fits into the relatively small Toyota Camry but not the relatively large Chrysler 300). So my first task was to drive, with Missy in tow, to a bunch of dealerships and shove the walker in the trunk. It took forever because they all want to talk to you and sell you a vehicle and none of them will listen when I say that I just want to try this out and leave. I now had a list of cars that worked. I rated them by fit and got rid of the ones too ugly to drive and out of my price range (also, bonus points for American cars and for having the fuel door on the driver's side of the car). Left me 1 Impala, 2 Altima, and 3-6 tied Mazda 6, Optima, Acura TSX, Sonata. 6 cars seemed a tad overwhelming to keep track of details on paper so I tried to do test drives on Saturday. I was able to test all but the Impala and the Altima (ironically) and had to set appointments for Monday night (yesterday). I didn't like the Mazda 6 or the Acura TSX, so they got the cut while the Sonata and the Optima were good and stayed. So Monday while I was waiting for the appointments to come up, I looked at the four remaining cars online. I looked at features and ended up using the online car builder to customize the features I liked for each one, hence my annoyed OP. I mostly prefer bare bones, so things like heated seats are silly to me, but things like fog lights are something I find genuinely useful. Also, leather seats are annoying from the heat in the summer and from the cold during the winter so I refuse to buy a car with it. I don't want to get in a car I hate day after day. Maybe I'm weird, but that's the kind of stuff I think of. I took the final best version of each car I was able to make and listed the price as well as the pros and cons for each. A couple things that stuck out included Impala was the only one I couldn't get fog lights, Impala was the only one that I could get a front bench seat (meaning driver + 5 passengers legally), Optima was a cheaper car that has a rear view camera (useful but far from necessary) for an extra $3,300 (in a package deal with a bunch of silly stuff I wouldn't bother spending the money on) but it would still be cheaper than the Impala, etc. Monday night I did the test drive for the Altima and the Impala. Test drive comes out 1 Impala, 2 Sonata, 3 Optima, 4 Altima. So from test drive & fit, Impala wins both. No fog lights or rear camera, I still give accessories to the Impala for the bench seat even though it doesn't have fog lights or the rear camera. Winner = Impala Now I have a goal in mind, so over the next couple of months I will be saving up money. I've already got a bit less than half saved up. Now I've just got to stay the course and I'll be able to buy it around late summer (just in time for those late summer deals :bounce: ). I hope that was helpful :{D
brianthephysicist Posted January 22, 2013 Author Posted January 22, 2013 Also, I should note, I probably look for different things than you will, so our needs and preferences will land in different spots. Don't just assume the Impala will fit you perfectly. Something like the test drive will be very different for people that have different body sizes or frames and even different handling styles. Have fun!
arfink Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 (edited) If you want fog lights and a backup camera, those things are very easy to get installed aftermarket. In fact, if you want to be macho you could install them yourself. It's not too hard. Edited January 22, 2013 by arfink
brianthephysicist Posted January 22, 2013 Author Posted January 22, 2013 If you want fog lights and a backup camera, those things are very easy to get installed aftermarket. In fact, if you want to be macho you could install them yourself. It's not too hard. I think I just got called out on a challenge. ;)
arfink Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 I'll keep the soldering iron warmed up for you.
MissyP89 Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 If you want fog lights and a backup camera, those things are very easy to get installed aftermarket. In fact, if you want to be macho you could install them yourself. It's not too hard. I think I just got called out on a challenge. ;) I'll keep the soldering iron warmed up for you. Where's my camera? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
brianthephysicist Posted January 23, 2013 Author Posted January 23, 2013 I'll keep the soldering iron warmed up for you. Don't burn your house down. :|
arfink Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 I didn't say it was in my house. You _might_ want to check around your apartment if you're worried. :P
Papist Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Why is that? (actually a serious question) I don't drive government cars.
brianthephysicist Posted January 23, 2013 Author Posted January 23, 2013 I don't drive government cars. Ohhhhh yea I always forget that Chevy is part of GM. Does the gov't still own it?
Papist Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Ohhhhh yea I always forget that Chevy is part of GM. Does the gov't still own it? Dunno. But they took the money. First place I'd look is Hyundai, then Ford.
PhuturePriest Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Ford or anything Japanese is always good. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, etc. If, however, you are looking into trucks, go with a Ford. I live in farm-ish country so everyone generally drives trucks. And not the lame wussy trucks you city people drive, but real one ton to one and a quarter ton trucks that we use to pull heavy trailers and pull out city people with chains that got their little bumper cars stuck in the mud.
brianthephysicist Posted January 23, 2013 Author Posted January 23, 2013 Dunno. But they took the money. First place I'd look is Hyundai, then Ford. Ah true. Hyundai Sonata was good, made it to the final four. Ford Taurus fit but it looks like a boat. Idk, the Sonata was good, but the bench seat puts the Impala into a vehicle class that really doesn't exist anymore, a sedan that can fit 6. Who else even offers that?
AnneLine Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 Hey, Brian, I get what you are saying about what you are looking for in a car, and it sounds really sensible. I will toss this into the mix however: You wrote: ... I mostly prefer bare bones, so things like heated seats are silly to me, but things like fog lights are something I find genuinely useful. Also, leather seats are annoying from the heat in the summer and from the cold during the winter so I refuse to buy a car with it. I don't want to get in a car I hate day after day. Maybe I'm weird, but that's the kind of stuff I think of. Two things for you and MissyP to think about as you select cars for the long haul... heated car seats might make a big difference for someone with mobility issues -- have a number of friends who use assistive devices, and they say the heated seats make a HUGE difference in maintaining flexibilty after long drives. Something for you to consider. Same comment with getting in and out of a car -- leather seats can be easier to slide along for some people. I know my Mother-in-law insists on the leather for that reason... .she gets stuck & it really hurts her hips and back if she has cloth seats. Also, if you want to give me model years, I can ask my husband (who works in the rental carfield and has seen ALL the cars and heard ALL the complaints and seen ALL the maintenance stuff... some model years are just plain bad cars... so if you want him to give you feedback on your older cars, just let me know what you're thinking about.... if he knows, I'll let you know.... But GOOD JOB on finding some you can select between!!!!
Papist Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 (edited) Ah true. Hyundai Sonata was good, made it to the final four. Ford Taurus fit but it looks like a boat. Idk, the Sonata was good, but the bench seat puts the Impala into a vehicle class that really doesn't exist anymore, a sedan that can fit 6. Who else even offers that? I think the Impala is ugly. I like the Taurus, Camry, Avalon and Hyundai Azera & Sonata. If you really want to seat 6 comfortably, you'll need a 3rd row seat. May I suggest: Edited January 23, 2013 by Papist
brianthephysicist Posted January 23, 2013 Author Posted January 23, 2013 Hey, Brian, I get what you are saying about what you are looking for in a car, and it sounds really sensible. I will toss this into the mix however: You wrote: ... I mostly prefer bare bones, so things like heated seats are silly to me, but things like fog lights are something I find genuinely useful. Also, leather seats are annoying from the heat in the summer and from the cold during the winter so I refuse to buy a car with it. I don't want to get in a car I hate day after day. Maybe I'm weird, but that's the kind of stuff I think of. Two things for you and MissyP to think about as you select cars for the long haul... heated car seats might make a big difference for someone with mobility issues -- have a number of friends who use assistive devices, and they say the heated seats make a HUGE difference in maintaining flexibilty after long drives. Something for you to consider. Same comment with getting in and out of a car -- leather seats can be easier to slide along for some people. I know my Mother-in-law insists on the leather for that reason... .she gets stuck & it really hurts her hips and back if she has cloth seats. Also, if you want to give me model years, I can ask my husband (who works in the rental carfield and has seen ALL the cars and heard ALL the complaints and seen ALL the maintenance stuff... some model years are just plain bad cars... so if you want him to give you feedback on your older cars, just let me know what you're thinking about.... if he knows, I'll let you know.... But GOOD JOB on finding some you can select between!!!! That's some good stuff to consider. In my pickup truck, the main issue has always been the height, actually getting her high enough that she can get into the vehicle. Once she's on the seat she has to wiggle a lot to get into proper position, but I never thought of that as a problem. Sure it took a few more seconds for her than it would have for me, but I always figured that was simply part of the package deal of her + truck. She has a significantly easier time with getting into cars, so I figured that a car would make the whole thing easy for her. I'll have to ask her if she knows whether leather is a pro or con to getting into the car. If she doesn't, then we'll just have to go to another dealer and try it out. If leather is going to be better for her, then I'll bite the bullet on it. Basically, even though I might not like it, I would suffer through it happily for her. I can also ask about the heated seats. That's something I've never heard before but it makes sense now that you've mentioned it. I think the Impala is ugly. I like the Taurus, Camry, Avalon and Hyundai Azera & Sonata. If you really want to seat 6 comfortably, you'll need a 3rd row seat. May I suggest: I agree that the Impala's looks don't really wow a person, but I never thought of it as ugly. The Taurus however, I find repulsive. The Camry has the tightest fit for the walker that you could imagine. Technically it can fit in the trunk, but it's more of a fight than I'd ever want to do on a regular basis. The Sonata was good. It fit decently (but still not as easily as the Impala) and the test drive went very well. It cost a little less than the Impala and even allowed me the option for fog lights, but I had looked at that price difference as paying for the additional seat and an easier time with getting the walker into the vehicle. Do you know of any low vehicles that have a third row? I specifically didn't look at vans or suv's because they are always high like getting into my pickup, which defeats the purpose of me looking for a car in the first place. If at some point in the future, we have so many kids that we need a van, then we will buy one, with the understanding that she will have to return to climbing into the seat (where she can fall into the seat of a car). We're not even married yet and I have no idea how many children God is going to bless us with. I don't know if it's going to be 0 or 12 or any other random number He comes up with. Basically I view the extra front seat as a way of delaying the need for a higher seat by 1 child. I have no clue if we'll even get to three children much less four, but I want to make that option available without the need for a van. If you know of any other low vehicles that have a the front bench seat or a third row, then let me know; I'm very interested.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now