An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nd Vs Dsmme

domenica_therese

ND and DSMME are obviously going to have a lot of similarities as far as charism goes --- they are after all Dominican - the principal charism of both.

A particular "flavor" of Dominicans might be a better way to put it.

I would be careful about trying to tie that flavor to individual Sister personalities (there are reserved DSMMEs... they just make less noise) ;)  or to tie that flavor to a particular apostolate - after all they have the same apostolate.

It's a little "je ne sais quoi" that as many have said, is best understood by visiting the communities.  Finding the "fit" and "family".

Also - visiting the community websites are a great way to get an initial "sense" of the charism.  Both communities have a section on charism on their sites.  Why not compare and contrast them?

veritasluxmea

The only genuine way to understand the difference both communities, and how they feel to you, is to visit. The Nashville Dominican's Jesu Caritas retreats are open for everyone, and so are the DSMME's vocational weekends. 

veritasluxmea

Also, from what I can tell, the DSMME do have a higher dropout rate- but that's not unusual for new communities. It can take over 50 years before a community finally settles down and becomes "stable".  So if you're discerning with a young community, it's something to keep in mind. 

I know the ND's really well and unfortunately I have never met any DSMME in person, but I know about them from Imagine Sisters and their facebook page. The ND's definitely appear more reserved on their facebook page, website, and their newsletters, but wait until you meet them in person! While prayers and the house in general are quiet, most of them can be very loud, talkative, lively, and/or funny. Just the other day I was talking with a few of them and we all ended up laughing our heads off from planning a prank.

Both orders are fantastic and I don't think there are major differences between them.