An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nd Vs Dsmme

domenica_therese

domenica_therese

First off, hi all!

So, after some stalking of Imagine Sisters, this forum, and various other vocational gathering spots online, I've noticed a significantly higher amount of chatter online about the DSMME's than the ND's. Is this just due to their higher profile in the circles of those who ultilize these media due to their appearance on Oprah and people like the youtuber sheiscatholic joining? I've also noticed that the DSMME's utilize social media better, so that could be a part of it as well. I think it's very interesting, because I think it may be indicative of a difference in the particular manifestations of the Dominican charism, but I actually don't know much about the DSMME's. Is there anyone who has discerned both (or maybe just has a better picture of the DSMME's charism than I do) who would care to enlighten me?

On a bit of a side note, I think it's really interesting how two of the biggest, most vibrant orders with oodles of new vocations are Dominican. I think it speaks volumes about the immense need in the Church and the world for a shoring up in objective truth, as reflected in Papa Benny's call for the year of faith (love that man!).

Not that I'm biased or anything. :p

It's an interesting question for sure.  I discerned with the Nashville Dominicans and LOVED them but didn't feel called there.  I've never visited the DSMME but they seem great.  The ND's are a very vibrant group of sisters, many of them young but there was one older sister who had passed away shortly before I visited who was 102 years old.  What a tremendous witness seeing a religious Sister who has dedicated her entire life to Christ.  The ND's get more postulants than people realize.  Just a few years ago I know they had 23 postulants enter at the same time.

But I suppose that my answer was completely unhelpful considering you wanted to hear it from someone who has visited both orders  :hehe2:

petitpèlerin

First off, hi all!

[...]

On a bit of a side note, I think it's really interesting how two of the biggest, most vibrant orders with oodles of new vocations are Dominican. I think it speaks volumes about the immense need in the Church and the world for a shoring up in objective truth, as reflected in Papa Benny's call for the year of faith (love that man!).

Not that I'm biased or anything. :P

Hi!

Commenting on your side note (since I'm a Franciscan myself and have no personal experience with either the NDs or DSMMEs ;) ):

What I do have experience with is the Community of St John, which was founded by a Dominican, is not Dominican itself, but focuses on the lifelong personal search for truth; philosophically, theologically, and in prayer. This weekend I'm attending a conference with them on Vatican II, and here's a quote from Fr Philippe, the Dominican founder (in my own feeble translation from French):

"If I look carefully at Saint John [meaning his writings], I see that there is in the Christian a place for a philosopher [meaning a place in each Christian to be a philosopher]. And for me, the Second Vatican Council was the sign that the church was asking for that, since Vatican II asks of us an openness to the world. I cannot understand openness to the world without philosophy, that is, without an understanding of man."

I think you're right on about the link between truth and vocations, given the world's current need for truth in every dimension, especially the truth about the human person, given the nature of the problems of our times (life and death, sexuality, rights, economy, etc). And the Community of St John's abundant vocations are also evidence of that link. Not that I'm biased, either. ;)

Edited by petitpèlerin

Catholicterp7

I have only discerned with the SMME but have a good friend who discerned with the ND and we've talked a bit about it. I think a big part of it is how the SMME use social media, the fact they were on Oprah, SheisCatholic joining etc. I also think a big part of it is the fact that the SMME are much newer than the NDs so the fact that they're so big already is more noticeable than with the NDs. 

Just my two cents, I'm on my way out but I may comment more latter. 

domenica_therese

I think a big part of it is how the SMME use social media [. . .] I also think a big part of it is the fact that the SMME are much newer than the NDs so the fact that they're so big already is more noticeable than with the NDs.  

Do you think the manner in which they use social media is tied to their "flavor" of the Dominican charism? Several people have attempted to describe the difference in charism to me without a terrible lot of success. Which is what I find interesting, because one would think the "huge" (relatively speaking :P ) differences in image would stem from some fundamental difference in charism. The most I've really gotten is that DSMME somehow works more with homeschoolers than in schools. I'm kind of wondering if the ND's are more evangelization specifically through schools, and pour all their resources into that field, whereas the DSMME's focus has a bit more universal of a scope? Though really I should be unsurprised at the ability of anyone to articulate the charism to me since charism can be a loosey-goosey little bugger that you just have to feel. 

The latter is an interesting point. I'm not really sure of to how many of the average lookers on that would be evident though. 

I should note that this is a philosophic inquiry in the most basic meaning of philosophy -- love of knowledge -- and I'm not seeking the answer out of indecisive vocational angst. :P I'm interested enough in the ND's that I'm not actually very interested in the DSMME except in so far as they're very similar to the ND's and are therefore cool by extension. I think it seems to be that way with most people, actually. I haven't really heard of many caught in throes of indecision between these two orders. I think that really says a lot about charism and the extreme particularity of a call: two seemingly interchangeable orders, yet most feel quite clearly pulled to one and not the other.

I'm probably making all sorts of sweepingly erroneous statements here.  :hehe2:

Edited by domenica_therese

domenica_therese

"If I look carefully at Saint John [meaning his writings], I see that there is in the Christian a place for a philosopher [meaning a place in each Christian to be a philosopher]. And for me, the Second Vatican Council was the sign that the church was asking for that, since Vatican II asks of us an openness to the world. I cannot understand openness to the world without philosophy, that is, without an understanding of man."

I think you're right on about the link between truth and vocations, given the world's current need for truth in every dimension, especially the truth about the human person, given the nature of the problems of our times (life and death, sexuality, rights, economy, etc). And the Community of St John's abundant vocations are also evidence of that link. Not that I'm biased, either. ;)

For that matter, I think one could also say the vocations to the Sisters of Life are indicative of this as well.

I've never really seen this as tied to Vatican II, but I do think that is a good point. I think Vatican II was, at its center, highly philosophic. A re-examination of what we do, and not just what, but why. And then a subsequent refocusing of missions and priorities and such if they had strayed from the why (eg. the changes to the habits of various religious orders to make them more suited to their function). Granted there was a bit too much subsequent straying in the opposite direction, but I think Benedict XVI is doing so much to pull us back to that fundamental why. I don't think we could have asked for any better popes than JPII and BXVI to lead us in the post-VII era. Such different popes with such different personalities and foci of their papacies, fleshing out the two sides of Vatican II. That's the beauty of the Church. The excitement and vigor of the New Evangelization would wane if there wasn't the real meat of truth -- for which everyone, oft unknowingly, longs -- behind it.

Tying this back to the topic, I guess I kind of see the DSMME's as more JPII and the ND's as more BXVI. Is that an accurate assessment?

Guest brandy_jo

Tying this back to the topic, I guess I kind of see the DSMME's as more JPII and the ND's as more BXVI. Is that an accurate assessment?

(Sorry new at this, the above is supposed to be in grey box to show it is a quote.  I somehow deleted the grey box.)

I am just lost at this comment...Could you explain what you mean?

One big difference in the way they live out their lives is that the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist have a daily Eucharistic Holy Hour.  This is not to say at all that the Nashville Dominicans don't pray or have a deep Eucharistic devotion, but they don't have a daily Holy Hour.  Actually, they may at certain times in formation, but it is my understanding that all of the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist have a daily Holy Hour whether or not they are in formation or are perpetually professed sisters.

Edited by brandy_jo

domenica_therese

(Sorry new at this, the above is supposed to be in grey box to show it is a quote.  I somehow deleted the grey box.)

I had that exact same problem! I found it helpful to go into BBCode mode (upper leftmost button) when removing content from a quote, and then switch back.

I am just lost at this comment...Could you explain what you mean?

Sorry, I was a bit vague. 

Ok, if we're going to paint with a broad brush here:

JPII is often seen as a Pope of the youth because of his immense charisma and appeal to young people, and his institution of WYD. In many ways, his whole papacy had a very youthful spirit. The New Evangelization. Channeling the Vatican II reforms properly to bring new life and energy to the Church. His emphasis on filling the ranks of the Officially Proclaimed Church Triumphant with shining examples of lived faith for our times. People the world over, regardless of their faith, were attracted to his energy.

BXVI doesn't have that vivacious charisma which JPII had. Though he is younger than JPII, he's more like the sedate, scholarly older brother. In many ways I think the task of his papacy has been stabilizing and shoring up the enthusiasm for the faith generated amongst many by JPII. Many people, when he was elected Pope, doubted whether he could fill the shoes left by JPII, and many said he lacked the charm of JPII; but BXVI's differences are not bad, they're just a different kind of beautiful. Ratzinger was a renowned and thoughtful scholar of the Church before he became Pope, just as JPII was an enthusiastic youth minister.

Again, this is painting with a very broad brush, so this is not to say that the ND's are not vivacious or that the DSMME's are immature and not scholarly. They are similar in many ways, but I wonder if the bit that differs differs along these lines. Or I could be completely off the mark. As I said I've never visited the DSMME's.

One big difference in the way they live out their lives is that the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist have a daily Eucharistic Holy Hour.  This is not to say at all that the Nashville Dominicans don't pray or have a deep Eucharistic devotion, but they don't have a daily Holy Hour.  Actually, they may at certain times in formation, but it is my understanding that all of the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist have a daily Holy Hour whether or not they are in formation or are perpetually professed sisters.

I've heard this as well. I think the ND's might have recently instituted a Holy Hour for all sisters though... But perhaps I'm completely wrong. Or maybe a weekly Holy Hour. Or Holy Time. :P  The other difference I do know is that the DSMME's pray all 3 decades of the rosary every day, whereas the ND's just pray one.

Edited by domenica_therese

somethingfishy

I would be cautious about making generalizations before I really knew the communities in question.

This topic has been discussed multiple times here (which is fine!) so you might want to read through a few old threads first.

domenica_therese

I would be cautious about making generalizations before I really knew the communities in question.

This topic has been discussed multiple times here (which is fine!) so you might want to read through a few old threads first.

Thank you so much for these! I was looking for old topics, but for some reason old posts in here were only displaying about 5 pages back, and I can't find any way to search the phorums. Those were very helpful though, and confirmed and clarified what I had been thinking. Edited by domenica_therese

I know the NDs had a Holy Hour when I was on retreat with them but that could've just been because of the retreat.  I really don't know how often they have Holy Hour.  I don't think the NDs do a whole lot with homeschooling.  They teach in schools in a bunch of different states.  I'm just wondering when they're gonna start a school in my city even though I've been out of school for years   :hehe2: .  I'd love to visit them again, they were fantastic!