An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deaf Apostolate?

Catholicterp7

Catholicterp7

This may have been posted before and if so I'm very sorry to duplicate it! 

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any religious communities for women that are a more traditional, habit wearing (No, that says nothing about faithfulness to the church, but it is important to me), daily prayer together kind of community that works with the Deaf and would accept Deaf vocations. I've looked into it a little bit but haven't had any luck finding anything here in the US.

JMJ+ :heart: 

Mary's Margaret

Perhaps if you could contact the male community Mater mentions above and they could connect you with a community of Sisters with a ministry to the deaf and/or is open to accepting deaf candidates.

Here is the contact info from their website:  Phone: 210.627.6303   info@dominicanmissionaries.org

In case there are any male Pmers interested in this apostolate., their website indicates they accept deaf, hard of hearing and hearing men as candidates - 
Edited by Mary's Margaret

Catholicterp7

It's too bad that the Dominican Missionaries for the Deaf Apostolate don't have a female community counterpart.  They are a male community who serves the deaf and has deaf members exclusively.

Perhaps if you could contact the male community Mater mentions above and they could connect you with a community of Sisters with a ministry to the deaf and/or is open to accepting deaf candidates.

Here is the contact info from their website:  Phone: 210.627.6303   info@dominicanmissionaries.org

In case there are any male Pmers interested in this apostolate., their website indicates they accept deaf, hard of hearing and hearing men as candidates - 

I've been in contact with Fr. Tom Coughlin, the founder of the DMDA, a little bit over the past year and a half. He said he doesn't know of any such communities here in the U.S. but I thought I would see if any of you had heard of any. I know there's one being started in Vancouver Canada but I really strongly feel called to stay here in the U.S. 

We'll see what God does, it sure will be interesting. 

JMJ+ :heart: 

The Congregation of St. Joseph (CSJ's - a.k.a. the Sisters of St. Joseph) have long done various kinds of Deaf apostolate, mostly Deaf education. They have congregations all over the US, most descended from the same branch, so most of them have remained more or less connected to Deaf educaiton. However, none of the congregations that I know of wear a habit. Additionally, their schools are struggling because most public school systems now offer the same services, usually for free instead of at the high cost of private education. Lastly, the vast majority of Catholic Deaf schools emphasize oral communication over signed communication.

That said, I've heard of individual sisters in various congregations who are involved in Deaf ministry. These are usually CODAs who joined an order - whether any of them wear habits, I can't say. If you haven't already done so, you might try looking up Catholic Deaf ministry - most (larger) dioceses have some sort of Deaf ministry, and there's a national group for Deaf Catholics, too.

In Italy, there's an order call Piccola Missione per i Sordomuti - the Little Mission for Deaf Mutes. There's a male branch of brothers & priests, and a femlae branch of sisters (white habits of knee-length dresses and simple veils). Since their founding in 1850 or so, they have supported oral communication for the Deaf. The sisters staff schools, Deaf centers, day care for Deaf children, etc. in Italy, Brazil, and the Phillipines. Maybe you can get them to come to the US!

Edited by Luigi

Kylie Spinelli

Perhaps you could ask the DMDA if you could help found a female counterpart community?? ;) 

Or ask the Canadian community to branch to the US. I know the Sisters of Life have convents in NYC, CT, and now in Canada... Perhaps you could nudge the new order a bit??

God bless and good luck, my dear sister in Christ!

• 7 years later...

I’ve learned that the Dominican Missionaries for the Apostolate of the Deaf and Disabled is no longer exist due to suppression. I am greatly disappointed since I have a strong desire to be a part of it. Are there any other apostolate our there that I can reach out? Thank you. 

Edited by Billy

The Archdiocese of Hartford has an Office of the Deaf Apostolate.  In fact, they've got the Dominican Missionaries for the Apostolate of the Deaf and Disabled on their website's list of Religious Institutes that serve the Diocese.

10 hours ago, Billy said:

I’ve learned that the Dominican Missionaries for the Apostolate of the Deaf and Disabled is no longer exist due to suppression. I am greatly disappointed since I have a strong desire to be a part of it. Are there any other apostolate our there that I can reach out? Thank you. 

I've had some interactions with the Dominican Missionaries here in the Midwest. To the best of my knowledge, they are still active and have their novitiate in Madison, IL but they haven't updated their web page in quite a while. If you can provide a link that indicates otherwise, I'd be interested to see it to find out what's going on. Thanks. 

Most dioceses in the US have Deaf apostolates. Both the Cincinnati Sisters of Charity and the Sisters of St. Joseph had ministry to the Deaf as part of their ministry for a long time; individuals still do, though I don't know that it's corporate anymore.

sr.christinaosf

Hi - I'm a Franciscan Sister in North Dakota, USA.  Some of our Sisters in Germany work with the deaf and other people with disabilities.  The have the Regens Wagner institutes there.  

ndfranciscans.org

The Dominican Missionaries were suppressed last year. One of the priests joined my diocese and is the chaplain for the deaf.

Interesting. I'll look around for the official document. I'm no expert in this field, but I think "suppressed" can mean the equivalent of 'no longer in business.' So I wonder if a new bishop didn't support the group any more, or if they just ran out of money, or what. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Luigi