An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants Of The Lord And The Virgin Of Matara

NatalieisCatholic

NatalieisCatholic

Hello everyone!

A few days ago I was in Washington DC for the March for Life (WHICH WAS AMAZING), and my youth group attended the Youth Rally and Mass at the Comcast Center.

There were many SSVM Sisters who helped run the line for Confessions, which were available. I got the chance to talk to a novice and she was so joyful and on fire for Christ! 

I looked at their website and read a little about them, and I was wondering if anyone here on Phatmass has any extra information about them, or if they can direct me to an old Topic!

Also, what does SSVM stand for? (I'm guessing the VM means Virgin of Matara but I'm not sure about the SS part.) God bless!

(By the way, the priest who was hearing my Confession said he could see me in one of their habits.  :w00t:)

Usually those initials/abbreviations are after the Latin version of their names (eg, The Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, aka, Blessed Sacrament Fathers, is SSS for Societas Sanctissimi Sacramenti) but I believe SSVM stands for the Spanish, Servidoras del Señor y de la Virgen de Matará. Also their male branch and the name of the religious family as a whole, Institute of the Incarnate Word, is abbreviated IVE for Instituto del Verbo Encarnado.

We have a PMer who entered there in DC a couple years ago who just made First Vows. Perhaps you saw her!

NatalieisCatholic

Thank you all so much! :D Servidoras del Señor y de la Virgen de Matará sounds really beautiful.

Usually those initials/abbreviations are after the Latin version of their names (eg, The Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, aka, Blessed Sacrament Fathers, is SSS for Societas Sanctissimi Sacramenti) but I believe SSVM stands for the Spanish, Servidoras del Señor y de la Virgen de Matará. Also their male branch and the name of the religious family as a whole, Institute of the Incarnate Word, is abbreviated IVE for Instituto del Verbo Encarnado.

We have a PMer who entered there in DC a couple years ago who just made First Vows. Perhaps you saw her!

That's so awesome that she entered there! I'm really sad I missed the chance to talk to her before she entered. I'm not sure whether I saw her, I saw about 7 sisters, and 3 of them were novices. I only got to talk to one novice. :)

I love the SSVM sisters!  The order originated in Argentina in the late 1980's I believe.  They are a missionary order (although they do have a monastic branch) and their main work is evangelization.  I'm pretty sure they also do some pro-life work (aside from the March for Life).  Their patroness, interestingly enough, is NOT Our Lady of Matara but actually Our Lady of Lujan.  The order has over 400 sisters worldwide.  They also take very unusual names.  They choose a title of the Blessed Mother and then usually go by a shortened version.  For instance, the Superior in D.C. is Mother Immaculate Conception.  That's kind of a general overview of the order but they are very open to visitors.  They said I could come visit any weekend.  I also met an SSVM sister at the March and she said they have pizza nights that people can come to   :proud:

NatalieisCatholic

The sister I talked to was so sweet! :) They do all seem very lovely. That's really cool that they are a missionary order. I wish I loved closer to their convents so I could go to the pizza nights. That's so funny, I always assumed that Our Lady of Matara would be their patroness! Just looking at pictures of their order you can see how blessed they are with vocations! That's a really good idea choosing a title of the Blessed Mother because of how many there are! And they're all so beautiful! When I get older I hope I can attend a "come and see"! 

I thought it was really funny that the sister I talked to was from the same state I was! (Coincidence? I think not!) :)

That's so awesome that she entered there! I'm really sad I missed the chance to talk to her before she entered. I'm not sure whether I saw her, I saw about 7 sisters, and 3 of them were novices. I only got to talk to one novice. :)

Don't be sad though! If you go to their upcoming Discernment Retreat :) you might see her and be able to talk to in person! http://ssvmusa.org/index.php/vocations/come-and-see-2013/

Here are a couple threads on her,  http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/117345-please-keep-teresabenedicta-in-your-prayers-today/  (unfortunately picture as a Novice is broken there currently)  &  http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125204-teresabenedicta-sr-asterone/  (she's 4th from left)

Don't be sad though! If you go to their upcoming Discernment Retreat :) you might see her and be able to talk to in person! http://ssvmusa.org/index.php/vocations/come-and-see-2013/

Here are a couple threads on her,  http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/117345-please-keep-teresabenedicta-in-your-prayers-today/  (unfortunately picture as a Novice is broken there currently)  &  http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125204-teresabenedicta-sr-asterone/  (she's 4th from left)

5th from the left rather, 4th from right 

Mary+Immaculate<3

I totally went to that rally, Natalie! And I went to Confession! I loved how enthusiastic the sisters were, because I think that for teens who have. Been to Confession in a long time, when they see the sisters encouraging it, it becomes very necessary feeling. Like, "Wow, even nuns need to go to Confession, I guess I need to too." Also I thought it quite amazing that that whole room was filled with priests, faithful teens, broken teens, and even priests were going to Confession right then and there. I was also psyched at that rally because my bishop was there and I didn't know he would be (Bishop Leonard Blair)! I remember while in the (surprisingly long, but fast-moving) line for confession, one of the SSVM sisters was handing out examination of conscience brochures, and remarked to a guy wearing a purple scarf, "I like how you're wearing that purple scarf, it kind of looks likes the priest's Confessional stole." I don't know why, but that just stuck in my head. You know on of those simple things that someone says that you just remember? Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I also liked that the Sisters of Life were all over the March. They were at the Comcast center, in the March (I was near one for quite a while, but then she went to find her sisters), and I saw them at the Bawilica the next morning. I also talkd to a Nashville Dominican my friend introduce me to, her name was Sister Mary Celeste. My friend had met her while at this week-long philosophy/theology/camping/retreat thing he does, in his words, he called them "Then coolest nuns ever!"
I'm so glad you liked the youth rally and Mass, it was breathtaking, and I loved the speaker before the Mass, his story is inspiring. Also, if you heard someone do a cheer during the homily when he talked about his little Egyptian-Mexican niece being a great Irish step dancer, that was me. I'm an Irish dancer myself, and I'm half German and half who-knows-what-all-else, so I know that someone "not Irish" can be a good Irish dancer. Anyhow, I love the MFL, I have a conversion story related to that...but her isn't the place for it.
God bless, and pray the Rosary for an end to abortion!

NatalieisCatholic

For your viewing pleasure:

SSVM-2012%20group-kateri.jpg

They look so full of joy and peace! (By the way, I really like their habits! The blue and gray look really nice together!)

I am still too young to go to their Discernment Retreat, but hopefully in a few years I will be able to attend! Thank you for the threads! Sr. Asterone is a very beautiful name, and she looks so happy. :) It's so nice seeing her as a religious sister. I always get so excited when I see pictures of former (or current) Phatmassers in their habits or postulant outfits. 

I totally went to that rally, Natalie! And I went to Confession! I loved how enthusiastic the sisters were, because I think that for teens who have. Been to Confession in a long time, when they see the sisters encouraging it, it becomes very necessary feeling. Like, "Wow, even nuns need to go to Confession, I guess I need to too." Also I thought it quite amazing that that whole room was filled with priests, faithful teens, broken teens, and even priests were going to Confession right then and there. I was also psyched at that rally because my bishop was there and I didn't know he would be (Bishop Leonard Blair)! I remember while in the (surprisingly long, but fast-moving) line for confession, one of the SSVM sisters was handing out examination of conscience brochures, and remarked to a guy wearing a purple scarf, "I like how you're wearing that purple scarf, it kind of looks likes the priest's Confessional stole." I don't know why, but that just stuck in my head. You know on of those simple things that someone says that you just remember? Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I also liked that the Sisters of Life were all over the March. They were at the Comcast center, in the March (I was near one for quite a while, but then she went to find her sisters), and I saw them at the Bawilica the next morning. I also talkd to a Nashville Dominican my friend introduce me to, her name was Sister Mary Celeste. My friend had met her while at this week-long philosophy/theology/camping/retreat thing he does, in his words, he called them "Then coolest nuns ever!"
I'm so glad you liked the youth rally and Mass, it was breathtaking, and I loved the speaker before the Mass, his story is inspiring. Also, if you heard someone do a cheer during the homily when he talked about his little Egyptian-Mexican niece being a great Irish step dancer, that was me. I'm an Irish dancer myself, and I'm half German and half who-knows-what-all-else, so I know that someone "not Irish" can be a good Irish dancer. Anyhow, I love the MFL, I have a conversion story related to that...but her isn't the place for it.
God bless, and pray the Rosary for an end to abortion!

Whoa, that's so awesome! :) Wasn't the rally so amazing? Jackie Francois has such a pretty voice! The sisters were really nice and welcoming. They ran the Confession line really well! I remember how long it was, but as you said it did go by very fast! (Probably due to the sheer number of priests hearing Confessions!) I liked the brochures, and it was a really good idea that they gave them out. It was so inspiring seeing how many teens were going to Confession. It was really moving. Hahaha, that's really funny that the sister said that! Hint hint, possible vocation to the priesthood?  :hehe2: The Sisters of Life are SO awesome! It was so cool seeing them at the rally and march. I saw so many Dominicans! I wasn't sure which ones were DSMME's or Nashies, but they all looked so joyful! I was a little intimidated to go up and talk to them. All the sisters at the March just seemed so Holy! The speaker before the Mass was really amazing! Also, the homily was really beautiful. That's really cool about Irish step dancing! I once tried to learn. I think it looks really beautiful. If you want you can PM me! God bless you!