An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

There was actually talk awhile back about the Pope possibly resigning because the Pope stated that if he was not able to carry out his duties to full ability (health) that he would resign.

In which is what he did. 

May God Bless Papa Benedict XVI

Concave may start early

church authorities may prepare a proposal to (on the first day after the papal vacancy) move up the start of the conclave

The 15 to 20 day waiting period is in place to allow time for all cardinals who don't live in Rome to arrive, under the usual circumstance of a pope dying. But in this case the cardinals already know that this pontificate will end Feb. 28, with the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, and therefore can get to Rome in plenty of time to take part in the conclave, Lombardi said.

As Holy Week begins March 24, with Palm Sunday Mass followed by Easter Sunday on March 31. In order to have a new pope in place in time for Easter, he would need to be installed by Sunday, March 17, because tradition holds the installation Mass be on a Sunday.

The old man wants to go home and read his books. He put in 8 years. Let him rest in peace. It's not a big deal. Even Bilbo Baggins got to sail off into the sunset with gandalf and the elves.

Edited by Era Might

It does mean something in the grand sheme of things. The Canon doesnt make it ok for a pope to resign just because he doesnt feel like being pope anymore. If future popes can just resign like a C.E.O. of a corporation or president it will reduce and bring great harm to the power of the papacy and the papacy itself.

We can only hope that this bloated, unApostolic conception of a bishop will be retired along with Benedict. St. Peter was a hounded disciple of a crucified man from Nazareth, not a sitting monarch on a throne.

When the Papacy gives up its temporal power and its Swiss Guard, and makes itself willing to be crucified upside down like St. Peter, then maybe it can make a claim to tradition.

Until then, the Papacy is an office like any other office, and can be resigned for due reasons.

Edited by Era Might

Basilisa Marie

We can only hope that this bloated, unApostolic conception of a bishop will be retired along with Benedict. St. Peter was a hounded disciple of a crucified man from Nazareth, not a sitting monarch on a throne.

When the Papacy gives up its temporal power and its Swiss Guard, and makes itself willing to be crucified upside down like St. Peter, then maybe it can make a claim to tradition.

Until then, the Papacy is an office like any other office, and can be resigned for due reasons.

The papacy lost it's temporal power with the Investiture Controversy and the dissolution of the Papal States.  And the Swiss Guard is a very necessary component of the pope's protection - it's not just about dressing up in fancy Michelangelo uniforms.  There are plenty of assassination plots on the pope that they foil.  Plus it's a huge honor for the Swiss men that are accepted into the Guard, many see it as a way to piously serve God.  

Furthermore, if you notice since the time of John XXIII there has been a steady decline of pomp and ceremony with the pope, especially during his coronation.  The reason why we have so much pretty stuff for the pope is because it's a way for us to show respect for his position as the vicar of Christ, and thus a way for us to give glory to God.  Shouldn't we give our first fruits, that which is best, back to God?  If you want to take the finery away from the papacy, then you might as well strip out all the gorgeous churches, cathedrals, and basilicas.  Those nice things help inspire awe before God, and there's a right time and place for them. 

AND, for the record, the first pope to resign was in the 200s, because he was captured and put to work in a salt mine and decided that the Church needed a public, able leader.  Pope Benedict has decided that right now is a time of much crisis, and the Church needs a pope who is up for the difficult public task of leading. It's not all that different.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

When I found out I was at work(I work nights at an assisted living.)I was really sad but I kind of knew that the Pontiff's health is not the best even before the reports confriming his heart problems. Example: He seemed a bit more tired as of late. The way he got around. I am a nursing student/CNA and QMAP(big word for Medication Aide) so I am trained to pick up these mintue things.

The papacy lost it's temporal power with the Investiture Controversy and the dissolution of the Papal States.  And the Swiss Guard is a very necessary component of the pope's protection - it's not just about dressing up in fancy Michelangelo uniforms.  There are plenty of assassination plots on the pope that they foil.  Plus it's a huge honor for the Swiss men that are accepted into the Guard, many see it as a way to piously serve God.  

A man with a personal armed guard has not lost his temporal power.

Edited by Era Might

A man with a personal armed guard has not lost his temporal power.

And Vatican City is a sovereign state, albeit not a big one, but it is sovereign entity nonetheless.

The reason why we have so much pretty stuff for the pope is because it's a way for us to show respect for his position as the vicar of Christ, and thus a way for us to give glory to God.  Shouldn't we give our first fruits, that which is best, back to God?  If you want to take the finery away from the papacy, then you might as well strip out all the gorgeous churches, cathedrals, and basilicas.  Those nice things help inspire awe before God, and there's a right time and place for them.

Taking away the finery from the papacy wouldn't accomplish much because the conception of bishop that knightofchrist expressed, the pope as a glorified sitting monarch, would remain.

Those gorgeous churches, cathedrals, and basilicas are the fruit of a church that came to temporal power with the conversion of Europe. The church is an institution for mummies.

I actually think the IDEA of a "ministry of St. Peter" is actually quite beautiful. I just find the papal conception of it mummifying. It's true that the church has dropped much of the papal pageantry in modern times, and that's because it's silly to parade the pope around in all his temporal splendor in a world where he is a mummy, a curious spectacle of the middle ages.

It's not what the papacy says to the world that scandalizes me, but what it says to the church. If the Pope lived as simply and as boldly as St. Peter, ready to be crucified upside down, it would be a beautiful witness. Instead, he lives in an apostolic palace surrounded by armed guards.

I say none of this to attack the popes as private men, but the papacy as an institution.

Edited by Era Might

Taking away the finery from the papacy wouldn't accomplish much because the conception of bishop that knightofchrist expressed, the pope as a glorified sitting monarch, would remain.

Those gorgeous churches, cathedrals, and basilicas are the fruit of a church that came to temporal power with the conversion of Europe. The church is an institution for mummies.

I actually think the IDEA of a "ministry of St. Peter" is actually quite beautiful. I just find the papal conception of it mummifying. It's true that the church has dropped much of the papal pageantry in modern times, and that's because it's silly to parade the pope around in all his temporal splendor in a world where he is a mummy, a curious spectacle of the middle ages.

It's not what the papacy says to the world that scandalizes me, but what it says to the church. If the Pope lived as simply and as boldly as St. Peter, ready to be crucified upside down, it would be a beautiful witness. Instead, he lives in an apostolic palace surrounded by armed guards.

I say none of this to attack the popes as private men, but the papacy as an institution.

My Eastern Orthodox friends would love your "mummifying" comment. 

franciscanheart

It does mean something in the grand sheme of things. The Canon doesnt make it ok for a pope to resign just because he doesnt feel like being pope anymore. If future popes can just resign like a C.E.O. of a corporation or president it will reduce and bring great harm to the power of the papacy and the papacy itself. The Pope is not a CEO, or a president. He is the Pope, the Vicar of Christ, a holy monarch. He is meant to hold the office for the rest of his life unless there is some grave reason for him to resign. I believe this Pope has resigned for grave reasons. But Benedict's resignation has unintentionally caused great sorrow, shock and confusion throughout the Catholic world. For the sake of the Church the resignation of popes must remain as it has been, very very rare and only for grave reasons. The Church shouldn't have to suffer this kind of heartbreak again for a very long time. Far to much is a stake the office of the papacy holds far too much responsibility for the salvation of souls to be given up for reasons that are not grave and for this type of thing to become typical. The papacy shouldn't be redefined to fit into the modern world it if anything should stand in contrast to the world.

I just don't understand where the big leaps come from -- as if this is some indication that suddenly the men who are leading our Church think it's not a big thing, like they don't understand the gravity of these kinds of decisions.

Era Might do you think the Pope will be the antichrist or false prophet ? Im kind of joking and kind.of not. lol

No, I think he'll be another figurehead filling an office that has made itself irrelevant because it bears no resemblance to the men it claims to succeed (i.e., St. Peter and Christ). The new Pope will say some nice things, make some nice spiritual observations, wear some beautiful vestments, but so will millions of other people around the world. If the papacy is an extraordinary office, as we are lead to believe, then I expect it to aspire to something extraordinary, and not pattern itself along the lines of diplomats and heads of state. If Gandhi had the courage to live without armed guards, should I expect less of a man who claims to represent Christ for a billion people?

Edited by Era Might

Cool cool I was just wondering lol The protestants almost had me convinced in the past....But now I'm down with the Pope...Haha Godbless everybody and enjoy the allstar game if you watch it....I think East by 15 or 20....