Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I like my hair short. If it is too long it is just frizz.

 

Not to mention it takes about 50 times longer to grow out curly hair. I keep getting tempted to go short again and then I think how long it will take to grow it out (I'm up to 6 years from the last time it was above my shoulders) and I decide not to go through with it. (I also refuse to use anything that will make my hair feel crunchy or stiff.)
 

Posted

Not to mention it takes about 50 times longer to grow out curly hair. I keep getting tempted to go short again and then I think how long it will take to grow it out (I'm up to 6 years from the last time it was above my shoulders) and I decide not to go through with it. (I also refuse to use anything that will make my hair feel crunchy or stiff.)
 

 

THAT'S MY PROBLEM. I use mousse, but I hate it. I hate when it is crunchy.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted (edited)

THAT'S MY PROBLEM. I use mousse, but I hate it. I hate when it is crunchy.

 


Argan oil and Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner. I swear by them. Haven't used anything else on a daily basis for a couple years. I try to avoid things that will be drying or damaging at all costs.

 

ETA: The recipe I posted in the first post of this thread is also great. You only need a TINY bit of it.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/70927-the-hair-on-my-head/

Edited by IcePrincessKRS
Posted


Argan oil and Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner. I swear by them. Haven't used anything else on a daily basis for a couple years. I try to avoid things that will be drying or damaging at all costs.

 

ETA: The recipe I posted in the first post of this thread is also great. You only need a TINY bit of it.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/70927-the-hair-on-my-head/

 


listen to ice. ;)

Nihil Obstat
Posted

THAT'S MY PROBLEM. I use mousse, but I hate it. I hate when it is crunchy.

 

 


Argan oil and Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner. I swear by them. Haven't used anything else on a daily basis for a couple years. I try to avoid things that will be drying or damaging at all costs.

 

ETA: The recipe I posted in the first post of this thread is also great. You only need a TINY bit of it.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/70927-the-hair-on-my-head/

Katy uses coconut oil (I believe) as a conditioner, and her hair is extremely thick and prone to craziness. She seems to think that it works very well.

franciscanheart
Posted

The way my curls are.... long hair and moose doesn't work.

How are your curls, exactly? You're posting on a phorum where several of us have talked curls practically every day for at least a year now. We all have different curls and we have all found routines and products that work for us.
 

THAT'S MY PROBLEM. I use mousse, but I hate it. I hate when it is crunchy.

Not all mousse turns stiff. When necessary, I've used some flexible hold mousses with great success and my hair is quite long these days. (It's past my shoulder blades but not to the small of my back.) Another obsession I had for a while was a product called "Motion Lotion" by Kevin Murphy. That product is ridiculous and smells sick. Seriously: you must check it out. It was so lightweight and I could never tell I had product in except by the smell. Phenomenal.
Posted

How are your curls, exactly? You're posting on a phorum where several of us have talked curls practically every day for at least a year now. We all have different curls and we have all found routines and products that work for us.
 Not all mousse turns stiff. When necessary, I've used some flexible hold mousses with great success and my hair is quite long these days. (It's past my shoulder blades but not to the small of my back.) Another obsession I had for a while was a product called "Motion Lotion" by Kevin Murphy. That product is ridiculous and smells sick. Seriously: you must check it out. It was so lightweight and I could never tell I had product in except by the smell. Phenomenal.

 


this stuff is also seriously amazing, for the end of the day frizzies and flyaways: http://www.frizzoff.com/46-Tweek-4oz-120ml.aspx

Autumn Dusk
Posted


this stuff is also seriously amazing, for the end of the day frizzies and flyaways: http://www.frizzoff.com/46-Tweek-4oz-120ml.aspx

 

I was like "I WANT" then I saw the price...oh well.  I just can't see putting that much into my hair.  I buy swave....*sigh*

 

Someone told me that overnight mayonase makes curly hair soft and non frizzy.

Posted

I was like "I WANT" then I saw the price...oh well.  I just can't see putting that much into my hair.  I buy swave....*sigh*

 

Someone told me that overnight mayonase makes curly hair soft and non frizzy.

 


even the 1 oz bottle i have has lasted me two weeks. i use maybe a dime size amount at a time. i can only imagine how long the 3.38oz bottle would last me.

franciscanheart
Posted

this stuff is also seriously amazing, for the end of the day frizzies and flyaways: http://www.frizzoff.com/46-Tweek-4oz-120ml.aspx

Never heard of that. I keep John Freida's Secret Weapon on me at almost all times just in case I hit a wall of humidity or something. There are admittedly times that my curls just CANNOT be tamed (and really I mean the frizz because I don't care if my curls get really tight and crazy) but those times are so very rare lately.
Autumn Dusk
Posted


even the 1 oz bottle i have has lasted me two weeks. i use maybe a dime size amount at a time. i can only imagine how long the 3.38oz bottle would last me.

 

Really?  Hmmm...I end up dumping so much goop on my hair that I use things up to get any result.  It's frustrating.  How long is your hair?  Mine's about half way down my back.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted (edited)

My hair is halfway down my back and I use a quarter sized bit (at MOST) of product and I'm good. With the right product for your hair type you shouldn't need much.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS
franciscanheart
Posted

My hair is halfway down my back and I use a quarter sized bit (at MOST) of product and I'm good. With the right product for your hair type you shouldn't need much.

I have the same experience. I use a dime-size of the first thing I put on. The second doesn't take much, even though it looks like a lot when it first comes out (if I'm using something that foams).

I spend 0.32 per "wash". So in a year I spend approx $43 washing my hair. Post-shower cost is about $1.14 if I get fancy about it and about $1 if I buy cheap flexible-hold mousse for a total of maybe $156-$178 year making my hair look its "best" (which we all know, when I'm in charge, is only a little better than looking like I'm trying for natural dreads). That. is. nothing. Even for me. (Especially when you consider how much people are dropping for shampoos and conditioners that cause them need for more post-wash product.

I big puffy heart natural hair care.
Posted

I have the same experience. I use a dime-size of the first thing I put on. The second doesn't take much, even though it looks like a lot when it first comes out (if I'm using something that foams).

I spend 0.32 per "wash". So in a year I spend approx $43 washing my hair. Post-shower cost is about $1.14 if I get fancy about it and about $1 if I buy cheap flexible-hold mousse for a total of maybe $156-$178 year making my hair look its "best" (which we all know, when I'm in charge, is only a little better than looking like I'm trying for natural dreads). That. is. nothing. Even for me. (Especially when you consider how much people are dropping for shampoos and conditioners that cause them need for more post-wash product.

I big puffy heart natural hair care.

 


me too! :woot: baking soda & apple cider vinegar, FTW!

 

and even adding in a good leave-in conditioner, and something for end of the day fly-aways, and something for deep conditioning, i *still* probably spend less on hair care than the average woman does.

franciscanheart
Posted

me too! :woot: baking soda & apple cider vinegar, FTW!
 
and even adding in a good leave-in conditioner, and something for end of the day fly-aways, and something for deep conditioning, i *still* probably spend less on hair care than the average woman does.

I have a leave in conditioner that I use during the summer. These are mostly averages. I'd say yearly spending on hair-care is around $200 to $220. That, in my mind, is pretty fantastic. My biggest expense is the ACV.
Autumn Dusk
Posted

have either of you tried henna dye?  I used red henna...the color wasn't that noticiable but my hair felt softer and didn't dry out as fast.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I've looked into henna but it sounds like a big pain and it's difficult to undo. I have a friend who uses it regularly, but she has short straight hair.



I have a leave in conditioner that I use during the summer. These are mostly averages. I'd say yearly spending on hair-care is around $200 to $220. That, in my mind, is pretty fantastic. My biggest expense is the ACV.

 


Yeah, I think my annual average is closer to the 300 range, but the bulk of that is just regular conditioner. My styling products are a little more upfront but last about a year+ depending on the size of the bottle.

franciscanheart
Posted

Never heard of using henna. Honestly, I didn't know how to help my curls for the longest time. Now that I've found something that works, I'm hesitant to throw anything else in the mix without substantial evidence that'll it'll do good. Y'know?

Autumn Dusk
Posted

Never heard of using henna. Honestly, I didn't know how to help my curls for the longest time. Now that I've found something that works, I'm hesitant to throw anything else in the mix without substantial evidence that'll it'll do good. Y'know?

 

Yep.  I got into straightening for a while, but my hair will not be tamed.  Straight is SO much easier.  I actually wanted to use Henna as a hair dye, but it seems to have given my hair a warm glow and a soft feel rather than color.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...